The Student Room Group

sequences

if you have a sequence ana_n and a sequence bnb_n, is there such a sequence an+bna_n+b_n? I think there is, but i am not sure
Original post by asdfyolo
if you have a sequence ana_n and a sequence bnb_n, is there such a sequence an+bna_n+b_n? I think there is, but i am not sure

You can certainly create such a sequence by adding corresponding terms, or you could multiply them to get a sequence (anbn)(a_nb_n), or take any function of the two (f(an,bn))(f(a_n,b_n)) as long as (an) and (bn)(a_n)\text{ and }(b_n) are in the domain of f.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
You can certainly create such a sequence by adding corresponding terms, or you could multiply them to get a sequence (anbn)(a_nb_n), or take any function of the two (f(an,bn))(f(a_n,b_n)) as long as (an) and (bn)(a_n)\text{ and }(b_n) are in the domain of f.

thanks. does that have anything to do with answering this: suppose anbna_n \leq b_n and the limit of the first sequence is a, and the limit of the second sequence is b, show aba \leq b.i have been told it has something to do with showing abza-b \leq z for all z>0
thanks. does that have anything to do with answering this: suppose anbna_n \leq b_n and the limit of the first sequence is a, and the limit of the second sequence is b, show aba \leq b.i have been told it has something to do with showing abza-b \leq z for all z>0

Told by whom. Seems an odd inequality, when you could just show a-b <= 0. Not sure how they're envisioning you do it with going for that inequality.

Also going to depend on what you've covered already regarding the limit of the sum/difference of two sequences.

And I'm a bit puzzled why you were asking about a_n + b_n, since that doesn't come into it.

I'd go for a proof by contradiction myself.
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
Told by whom. Seems an odd inequality, when you could just show a-b <= 0. Not sure how they're envisioning you do it with going for that inequality.

Also going to depend on what you've covered already regarding the limit of the sum/difference of two sequences.

And I'm a bit puzzled why you were asking about a_n + b_n, since that doesn't come into it.

I'd go for a proof by contradiction myself.

told by a lecturer, we have covered the limit of the sum of two sequences (i just found out now), i have to do it that weird way
told by a lecturer, we have covered the limit of the sum of two sequences (i just found out now), i have to do it that weird way

OK.

Now that I look at it again, it's not that bad.

If we let bnan=cnb_n-a_n=c_n which is >= 0.

We have bn=an+cnb_n=a_n +c_n

and now consider the limits.

I presume you can assume the limit of a positive sequence is >= 0.

Quick Reply

Latest