The Student Room Group

Made a complete fool of myself, embarrassed and wishing I'd never been born

First year student here, just had a horrific experience smoking weed. I've always had trouble making friends and I came to uni desperate to fit in, and in my efforts to do this I've spent the first month or so drinking too much, and I recently started smoking grass for the first time since I was about 15 (I would sometimes smoke with my friends at parties and stuff, I was never a regular smoker).

Today one of my new pals invited me to come with him to his stoner friends house to smoke a few Js. We went into this guy's house and it was a hell hole. His room was boiling so I was sweating buckets before we even started. I hadn't had much to eat that day either, which certainly didn't help things. My friend and the stoner began talking about stoner stuff, so I couldn't join in on any of the conversation because I am completely clueless.

When the stoner had rolled two joints we walked outside and lit up. As this was my 4th time since getting to uni I was feeling a little confident, started taking huge drags from this joint, big mistake as I soon found out when we went back up to the stoner's room. It was hot as ever and I felt all the blood rush to my head, my legs began shaking, vision was blurry as ****.

I fell flat on my arse and knocked my head. After sharing 2 joints. In front of a room of 5 strangers and my new friend, who probably wants nothing to do with me now. He still helped me get home, and tried to be supportive but I could tell he was embarrassed. I'd told him I'd smoked before (which isn't a lie but I think he was expecting me to be able to take it) and now I feel as though I've bigged myself up to be something I'm not.

Now there are 5 strangers out there who just know me as that weird kid who came in, didn't say a word and then completely wrecked himself after two joints, and then there's my friend who now thinks I'm a lightweight and a liar, and I completely ruined his evening. My flatmates found out what happened too and now they all probably think less of me. I'm so worried this is going to spread and I'll get a reputation for being a bull****ter/weirdo/lightweight. I know this probably sounds quite pathetic and an overreaction, but it really takes very little to knock my self-confidence.

What would you guys' advice be? How do you come back from something embarrassing like this? Something so embarrassing that you can't even laugh it off because it isn't funny in the slightest and it's just pathetic? Am I being paranoid and overreacting?

Sorry for making this so long + thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Btw this is a new account, I didn't think too carefully about my username and I realise now the irony of 'undercoverbacon' posting a thread about weed. I swear I'm not a copper
If your not into drugs, why are you making friends with people who are into drugs? :confused:
It's not that embarrassing. It's not your fault your body reacted that way. It would be more embarrassing if you messed yourself up by taking too much tbh.

I'd just not bring it up. If someone else brings it up, don't get defensive. Just be cool about it. Don't go around making jokes about yourself, either, because then it will get embarrassing, and you just want people to forget it.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
If your not into drugs, why are you making friends with people who are into drugs? :confused:

That's a fair criticism, but like I said I don't make friends easily, so I was just happy that I'd made a new mate and he actually wanted to do something with me outside of lectures
Original post by undercoverbacon
That's a fair criticism, but like I said I don't make friends easily, so I was just happy that I'd made a new mate and he actually wanted to do something with me outside of lectures

Ok there is only one play on the table here. You need to casually mention to the people you were with how you are never shooting crystal meth before smoking a bowl ever again
@undercoverbacon

Heya,

This kind of thing happens! You might feel embarrassed for a while, but I'm sure no-one is going to think badly of you. You certainly won't be the only one, and I'm sure everyone in that room would have done something similar before. Everyone will forget about it soon enough. Just be prepared to laugh at yourself and apologise if someone else brings it up, but there's no need to make a big deal out of it.

On another note - are you *sure* you want to start smoking weed at uni? Illegality and health implications aside, that stuff isn't great for getting things done: it's a real motivation killer and it's insidious, so you don't always notice the effect it's having.
I've had far worse nights which I mostly laugh about now (but definitely wish hadn't happened). It will fade with time.
Thats what you get for doing drugs
Reply 10
Think of the freshers who've woken up in strange places after drinking themselves stupid over the past few weeks. You're just one of thousands. Nothing out of the ordinary. Keep calm and carry on.

Although - what Puddles said. At the very least, if there's a chance you might react like that again and get upset about it again, it might be worth letting yourself settle in more before another go.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

On another note - are you *sure* you want to start smoking weed at uni? Illegality and health implications aside, that stuff isn't great for getting things done: it's a real motivation killer and it's insidious, so you don't always notice the effect it's having.

Responding to this especially because we've had a couple of other comments along these lines:

Do we really need the alarmist talk?

I'm quite sure that most people are aware when they're smoking weed that they're probably not going to be super productive. When you see stoners not doing anything with their lives, it's not because of the weed. That has it the wrong way round. They spend all their days smoking because they're not motivated, not the other way round. If it were otherwise, it's hard to see how the PM could be where he is despite smoking all the time at Oxford. I'm pretty sure Obama is on record as having smoked weed in his college days too.

Personally I don't even like it, so this isn't me getting defensive, but your post is a little OTT. Also, as a matter of policy, if you want to discourage people from doing themselves harm through drugs, crying wolf about essentially harmless ones isn't going to help.
First year student here, just had a horrific experience smoking weed. I've always had trouble making friends and I came to uni desperate to fit in, and in my efforts to do this I've spent the first month or so drinking too much, and I recently started smoking grass for the first time since I was about 15 (I would sometimes smoke with my friends at parties and stuff, I was never a regular smoker).

Today one of my new pals invited me to come with him to his stoner friends house to smoke a few Js. We went into this guy's house and it was a hell hole. His room was boiling so I was sweating buckets before we even started. I hadn't had much to eat that day either, which certainly didn't help things. My friend and the stoner began talking about stoner stuff, so I couldn't join in on any of the conversation because I am completely clueless.

When the stoner had rolled two joints we walked outside and lit up. As this was my 4th time since getting to uni I was feeling a little confident, started taking huge drags from this joint, big mistake as I soon found out when we went back up to the stoner's room. It was hot as ever and I felt all the blood rush to my head, my legs began shaking, vision was blurry as ****.

I fell flat on my arse and knocked my head. After sharing 2 joints. In front of a room of 5 strangers and my new friend, who probably wants nothing to do with me now. He still helped me get home, and tried to be supportive but I could tell he was embarrassed. I'd told him I'd smoked before (which isn't a lie but I think he was expecting me to be able to take it) and now I feel as though I've bigged myself up to be something I'm not.

Now there are 5 strangers out there who just know me as that weird kid who came in, didn't say a word and then completely wrecked himself after two joints, and then there's my friend who now thinks I'm a lightweight and a liar, and I completely ruined his evening. My flatmates found out what happened too and now they all probably think less of me. I'm so worried this is going to spread and I'll get a reputation for being a bull****ter/weirdo/lightweight. I know this probably sounds quite pathetic and an overreaction, but it really takes very little to knock my self-confidence.

What would you guys' advice be? How do you come back from something embarrassing like this? Something so embarrassing that you can't even laugh it off because it isn't funny in the slightest and it's just pathetic? Am I being paranoid and overreacting?

Break out of that social paradigm! Why do you think the majority of people are broke and envious of the super rich/ highly talented!

**** your friends, **** social life read my thread (I'm a first year too):
A Comprehensive Summary of University
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3701867&p=60376975#post60376975

Stay away from the zoots, youths.
Reply 14
Lmao hilarious.
Reply 15

So, my best advice would be to forget about it. I don't have a story quite as embarrasing as that, although people I went to school with made up torrid "rumours" about me, which eventually the entire school heard about, and that's all they went on about for the last year of school. Now, and even six months later, no one cared. To me it sounds like you hotboxed in a ****ing sauna and passed out due to heat.
Don't deny it happened, I'm certain everyone has tried smoking, whether weed or a cigarette and there's not really a manual for smoking, it depends what strength this guy gave you and this sounds like some whackybacky ****! Go see your friend, explain to him you're sorry, ask him what he saw and ask him not to go around chatting ****. As for the other "friends" forget about them, and the stoner? Well, he's probably not told anyone as last I checked marijuana is illegal and he's seen worse I'm sure of it.

Best you can do is put it behind you, if it troubles you so much go see pastoral care, (if they have that at university). You might want to deduct smoking weed for excessive drinking to avoid some odd questions but just power through it! It's all immature comments and half a story, a third of it probably didn't even happen. You're better than them, so don't forget it!
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Responding to this especially because we've had a couple of other comments along these lines:

Do we really need the alarmist talk?

I'm quite sure that most people are aware when they're smoking weed that they're probably not going to be super productive. When you see stoners not doing anything with their lives, it's not because of the weed. That has it the wrong way round. They spend all their days smoking because they're not motivated, not the other way round. If it were otherwise, it's hard to see how the PM could be where he is despite smoking all the time at Oxford. I'm pretty sure Obama is on record as having smoked weed in his college days too.

Personally I don't even like it, so this isn't me getting defensive, but your post is a little OTT. Also, as a matter of policy, if you want to discourage people from doing themselves harm through drugs, crying wolf about essentially harmless ones isn't going to help.

I wasn't meaning to be alarmist, just practical. :redface: It's not a particularly controversial statement. I think if you speak to a lot of ex-smokers they'll tell you the same story.
Don't do drugs kids!
Reply 18
Grow up man! ... You just want to be somebody who you're not because you want to make friends. I think you're lying to yourself which is even worse . Don't try to "fit in" a group of friends that are not your style or something . Just do what you like and make friends who are similar to you . Remember that party friends are just for a moment , then they disappear and they'll never support you when you really need help ... they're the first to vanish. Be careful with the people you're hanging out and pick the ones who are worth it.
Drugs = bad

Quick Reply

Latest