The Student Room Group

Hate having such a common name :(

It's so annoying! ugh I hate not being able to answer to my name - Can I just go by a different name in uni?

Scroll to see replies

What is your name? :colone: Or you prefer a nickname?
Just use a nickname? :smile:
Going by a different name is fine, you can choose whatever name you'd like to be referred to as a nickname. I know a few people who had hard to pronounce names (they are Turkish) and they chose simpler names like "Melissa" at university and it worked out for them. :smile:
Reply 4
What is your name? And can you shorten it or go by a nickname.

I know someone who goes by his nickname and introduces himself like that so worth a try
Reply 5
Original post by ZuluK
What is your name? And can you shorten it or go by a nickname.

I know someone who goes by his nickname and introduces himself like that so worth a try

My birth name is Sarah and I hate it as it is the most overused, generic boring name you can think of and is extremely difficult to go by a nickname. I have found one that have stuck to and introduced a few people by it though, but at school everyone knows me as Sarah which I don't like.
Reply 6
Original post by Armastan
Going by a different name is fine, you can choose whatever name you'd like to be referred to as a nickname. I know a few people who had hard to pronounce names (they are Turkish) and they chose simpler names like "Melissa" at university and it worked out for them. :smile:

But how did that work out? I swear you have to apply university with your birth name?
Reply 7
Original post by RiotGirll
Just use a nickname? :smile:

I have kinda found a nickname that I have introduced a few people by. But my name can't even be really made into a nickname which I hate so much! ugh
Reply 8
Original post by shawn_o1
What is your name? :colone: Or you prefer a nickname?

My name is sarah. I hate it so much. And it's so difficult to be made into a nickname, I have found one and have introduced a few people to it but it's so hard for me to get people I currently know to go by my new preferred name.
No worries - my name's Laura, and when I was at uni, in a group of around 50 of us, there were 7 Lauras, including me.
Reply 10
Original post by LaughingKitsune
No worries - my name's Laura, and when I was at uni, in a group of around 50 of us, there were 7 Lauras, including me.

lol, I guess that's super annoying. Do you like having a common name? I hate mines and I'm thinking of changing it..
Original post by loveleest
But how did that work out? I swear you have to apply university with your birth name?

You put your birth name on the application, yes, but there's a "preferred name" option that you can enter the nickname in so that is what they will call you or you can personally make a request and they will use that name to refer to you.
Reply 12
Original post by Armastan
You put your birth name on the application, yes, but there's a "preferred name" option that you can enter the nickname in so that is what they will call you or you can personally make a request and they will use that name to refer to you.

Oh, that's cool xD
My name is sarah. I hate it so much. And it's so difficult to be made into a nickname, I have found one and have introduced a few people to it but it's so hard for me to get people I currently know to go by my new preferred name.

Just explain to them Im sure they would understand :smile:

I am thinking of doing this too. I have a horrible old fashioned name :frown:
You could just change your name if you hate it that much.
Reply 15
Just explain to them Im sure they would understand :smile:

I am thinking of doing this too. I have a horrible old fashioned name :frown:

lol hm, but it would be so random to announce it to them,
What's your name?- can't be worse than mine.
my surname is "Aurangzeb" - the amount of people who struggle with pronouncing it kills me. so awful.
lol hm, but it would be so random to announce it to them,
What's your name?- can't be worse than mine.

Yeah I feel you. I haven't decided on a nickname yet though lol

Margaret. My grandma chose it :rofl:
Reply 18
Yeah I feel you. I haven't decided on a nickname yet though lol

Margaret. My grandma chose it :rofl:

Yeah, that's why I think it's just best to wait until uni so my new friends can call me by my preferred name

Oh, good luck in finding one, I can only think of marge atm lool
Reply 19
Original post by samina_ay
my surname is "Aurangzeb" - the amount of people who struggle with pronouncing it kills me. so awful.

But I'm only talking about first name struggles :frown:

Quick Reply