The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

What is nottingham trent university like?

I am applying for uni in december and nottingham trent is one that I really like for psychology. I haven't been to the open day yet but I like the look of the course online. Just wanted the overall opinion of people that do the course or go there?
Original post by meg_lou
I am applying for uni in december and nottingham trent is one that I really like for psychology. I haven't been to the open day yet but I like the look of the course online. Just wanted the overall opinion of people that do the course or go there?

Hi meg_lou,

I am a NTU student studying Business Management and Marketing, so I can't tell you much about the Psychology course, but I can tell you a lot about NTU and the student life here. I am having a fantastic time at NTU! When applying for universities back in 2013 I knew I wanted to be in a city centre, and NTU's city site is right in the city centre which was perfect for me! I also really liked how close together everything was on the city site and that I didn't have to walk far from my halls of residence to my lectures and seminars.

Is there any specific questions you have about student life? Such as any questions about the societies/accommodation we offer?

I really would recommend that you come visit us at one of our open days to find out more about Nottingham Trent as well as the Psychology course. They are a great way of finding out the answers to questions you may have and get a general feel of the University as a whole. Our final open day this year is on Saturday 14 November which I'll link you down below:

Open Day

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Ellen
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi meg_lou,

I am a NTU student studying Business Management and Marketing, so I can't tell you much about the Psychology course, but I can tell you a lot about NTU and the student life here. I am having a fantastic time at NTU! When applying for universities back in 2013 I knew I wanted to be in a city centre, and NTU's city site is right in the city centre which was perfect for me! I also really liked how close together everything was on the city site and that I didn't have to walk far from my halls of residence to my lectures and seminars.

Is there any specific questions you have about student life? Such as any questions about the societies/accommodation we offer?

I really would recommend that you come visit us at one of our open days to find out more about Nottingham Trent as well as the Psychology course. They are a great way of finding out the answers to questions you may have and get a general feel of the University as a whole. Our final open day this year is on Saturday 14 November which I'll link you down below:

Open Day

Thanks,

Ellen

I wanted to be near all the amenities so being in a city centre does sound good. What is the city of Nottingham like? What is the best accommodation to go for in your opinion?
Original post by meg_lou
I wanted to be near all the amenities so being in a city centre does sound good. What is the city of Nottingham like? What is the best accommodation to go for in your opinion?

Hi meg_lou,

Well, NTU is definitely near amenities! Just down the road from the city site is Victoria Centre which is one of the shopping centres in Notts. It has a Tesco, Boots, Topshop, River Island and many more shops! It is undergoing a renovation at the moment and they are adding loads of restaurants in there such as the Handmade Burger Company, Coast to Coast and Ed's Easy Diner.

I love Nottingham! It has so many bars, restaurants and clubs at such an easy walking distance. There is the Corner House (which is about a 5 minute walk from the city site) which has a Cinema as well as restaurants such as Chiquito's, Wagamama's, Nando's and TGI Friday. There is also a crazy golf which does student discounts, which is pretty cool if you fancy doing something different one night.

In relation to accommodation, I lived in Hampden first year, so I have a bit of a soft spot for that halls and would definitely recommend it. However it does have a shared bathroom which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea. So if you would like an en-suite bathroom, I would recommend Gill Street North. It is ensuite, on the city site, and not as expensive as Gill Street South and Byron as it is an older halls of residence. However it's all down to personal preference and if you want to live in the more modern halls of residences, both Gill Street South and Byron are really popular with students.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Ellen
Hello. I am also applying to NTU next week for psychology and I was wondering id NTU was considered a city or campus uni? for e.g. the city campus- is everything you need such as food, shopping in walking distance from the accomadation? And how long it takes.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Aliyah_rose
Hello. I am also applying to NTU next week for psychology and I was wondering id NTU was considered a city or campus uni? for e.g. the city campus- is everything you need such as food, shopping in walking distance from the accomadation? And how long it takes.

Hi Aliyah_rose,

We are both! We have three campuses with one being in the city centre (our city site), as well as Clifton campus (20 minutes from Nottingham) and Brackenhurst campus (40 minutes away from Nottingham). As you are planning to study Psychology, you will be based at the city site. I will leave some more information about our campuses down below:

Our campuses

In regards to shopping, everything you need is literally 5/10 minute walk away. There is Tesco express just outside of the city site which is about a 5 minute walk (in some of our accommodation it may be even less) so shops are very handy. Also just down the road from the city site (5/10 minute walk max) is Victoria Centre which is one of the shopping centres in Notts. It has a bigger Tesco, Boots, Topshop, River Island and many more shops!

Have you considered coming to our open day? We have our last open day coming up on Saturday November 14, which will be a great way to see the local area and do the walk to the nearest shop yourself to see how close it is. I'll link you to more information about our open day down below:

Open Day

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Ellen
Thank you very much! Hopefully i will be able to go to the open day on the 14th. Very much!

Hi Aliyah_rose,

We are both! We have three campuses with one being in the city centre (our city site), as well as Clifton campus (20 minutes from Nottingham) and Brackenhurst campus (40 minutes away from Nottingham). As you are planning to study Psychology, you will be based at the city site. I will leave some more information about our campuses down below:

Our campuses

In regards to shopping, everything you need is literally 5/10 minute walk away. There is Tesco express just outside of the city site which is about a 5 minute walk (in some of our accommodation it may be even less) so shops are very handy. Also just down the road from the city site (5/10 minute walk max) is Victoria Centre which is one of the shopping centres in Notts. It has a bigger Tesco, Boots, Topshop, River Island and many more shops!

Have you considered coming to our open day? We have our last open day coming up on Saturday November 14, which will be a great way to see the local area and do the walk to the nearest shop yourself to see how close it is. I'll link you to more information about our open day down below:

Open Day

Thanks,

Ellen
Reply 7
Hi meg_lou,

Well, NTU is definitely near amenities! Just down the road from the city site is Victoria Centre which is one of the shopping centres in Notts. It has a Tesco, Boots, Topshop, River Island and many more shops! It is undergoing a renovation at the moment and they are adding loads of restaurants in there such as the Handmade Burger Company, Coast to Coast and Ed's Easy Diner.

I love Nottingham! It has so many bars, restaurants and clubs at such an easy walking distance. There is the Corner House (which is about a 5 minute walk from the city site) which has a Cinema as well as restaurants such as Chiquito's, Wagamama's, Nando's and TGI Friday. There is also a crazy golf which does student discounts, which is pretty cool if you fancy doing something different one night.

In relation to accommodation, I lived in Hampden first year, so I have a bit of a soft spot for that halls and would definitely recommend it. However it does have a shared bathroom which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea. So if you would like an en-suite bathroom, I would recommend Gill Street North. It is ensuite, on the city site, and not as expensive as Gill Street South and Byron as it is an older halls of residence. However it's all down to personal preference and if you want to live in the more modern halls of residences, both Gill Street South and Byron are really popular with students.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Ellen

Thanks that helps. That's great! Sounds like it's close to a lot of things which is ideal.
Reply 8
Original post by Aliyah_rose

Hello Aliyah_rose

I am handing over my room at Gill Street. Am on psychology master level.If you need accommodation email mepls
Thank you!
Reply 9
Hi Aliyah_rose,

As you are planning to study Psychology, you will be based at the city site.

Open Day

Thanks,

Ellen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't psychology based at the Clifton campus?
Original post by 08hasraf
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't psychology based at the Clifton campus?

Hi 08hasraf,

Our psychology courses are definitely based on our City site. However, there are some courses where psychology is not the main focus of the course (Such as our Education Studies and Psychology course) which is taught at Clifton.

Do you mind me asking why you think psychology is based at Clifton?

Thanks,

Ellen
Reply 11
Yep I checked after I saw your message. For some reason I can't view bsc psychology course on the NTU site so I can't see the location for it, but it allows me to view the other courses that include education and sports which are based at Clifton so I just assumed they would all be at Clifton

I've been thinking I'm to be at Clifton for awhile but thanks for clearing that up because I would prefer city :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 08hasraf
Yep I checked after I saw your message. For some reason I can't view bsc psychology course on the NTU site so I can't see the location for it, but it allows me to view the other courses that include education and sports which are based at Clifton so I just assumed they would all be at Clifton

I've been thinking I'm to be at Clifton for awhile but thanks for clearing that up because I would prefer city :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi 08hasraf,

That's ok! If you have anymore questions about courses/campuses just let me know and I will try clear it up for you. :h:

Thanks,

Ellen
Hi meg_lou,

Open Day

Thanks,

Ellen

I've got an offer from NTU to study Media and am debating which uni to put as my 1st choice at the moment. The Media course is based at Clifton and I just wondered what the area around that campus is like? I really liked the campus itself on the open day but couldn't really see anything around it when we drove past- is there anything at all within easy (preferably walking) distance, shops/bars etc? Or is it all at City? And also is it easy to get to the City site- is there a direct bus? Thank you! :smile:
Original post by annagrace1
I've got an offer from NTU to study Media and am debating which uni to put as my 1st choice at the moment. The Media course is based at Clifton and I just wondered what the area around that campus is like? I really liked the campus itself on the open day but couldn't really see anything around it when we drove past- is there anything at all within easy (preferably walking) distance, shops/bars etc? Or is it all at City? And also is it easy to get to the City site- is there a direct bus? Thank you! :smile:

Hi annagrace1,

Congratulations on your offer! :h:

Clifton is a residential area, so it does have a few shops/supermarkets, however generally the students travel into the city to do their shopping rather than go to Clifton itself.

There is a bus that runs from Clifton campus directly to the city centre of Nottingham, which runs every 10 minutes (every 7 minutes during peak lecture times) until midnight. There is also a few night buses that run during the early hours of the morning (except for Sunday night I believe). This bus is incredibly popular with students, as it is really convenient to get from A to B. I'll leave you a link to more details below if you want to have a look:

Go2 Uni4

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Ellen
Hi annagrace1,

Congratulations on your offer! :h:

Clifton is a residential area, so it does have a few shops/supermarkets, however generally the students travel into the city to do their shopping rather than go to Clifton itself.

There is a bus that runs from Clifton campus directly to the city centre of Nottingham, which runs every 10 minutes (every 7 minutes during peak lecture times) until midnight. There is also a few night buses that run during the early hours of the morning (except for Sunday night I believe). This bus is incredibly popular with students, as it is really convenient to get from A to B. I'll leave you a link to more details below if you want to have a look:

Go2 Uni4

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Ellen

that's a big help thank you! :smile:
Wouldn't it be great if non biased students respond and provide their opinion of a uni. I am always suspicious of anyone who is paid to represent an organisation.

Is there anyone who can provide an unbiased opinion of this uni? Thanks. Much appreciated.
Original post by elfreda69
Wouldn't it be great if non biased students respond and provide their opinion of a uni. I am always suspicious of anyone who is paid to represent an organisation.

Is there anyone who can provide an unbiased opinion of this uni? Thanks. Much appreciated.

I'm not a student at NTU (yet) but I was studying at a different university last year and dropped out because it was awful. I'm from Nottingham and a LOT of my friends and people that I know chose to stay here to study because the city is great for young people and the university is good, too.

At the uni I was at last year, I heard no end of complaining about courses, tutors and just university experience in general. I know a hell of a lot of people (friends and even just random people from nights out) studying at Trent and I barely ever hear them complaining about it here, which I guess says that student life here and the courses themselves are enjoyable.

Probably not the best reference since I don't actually study here yet, but I visited the uni a lot when I was at school/college and there's a lot nicer atmosphere than any other places I've visited. Hope this at least kind of helps!
Hey, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending