The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
You choose your sexuality like you choose to be hungry. There never came a day when you decided "hmmm i think i might find that man sexually attractive".

Tbh, I get what other and you on here are saying but I have my opinions.
Reply 321
Original post by Blackstarr
No, its a choice because I see nothing in girls.
Why do you see nothing in girls?
Do you choose not to, or were you made that way?
Reply 322
It both tbh .
So you feel attracted to girls, and you resist it, or you want to be attracted to girls but it just won't happen?

Either way, it shows that your sexuality has an innate (god made us that way) quality.
Reply 323
You can chose to be attracted to anyone so, its a choice.
So you could choose to have sex with a woman and enjoy it.
But earlier, you said that you could never do that!

And I don't think I know someone who was 100% straight,
So, you were making that up.

we all question our sexuality sometimes however, those who are decisive are making choices.
Yes, but why do people question their sexuality, and what do they base their choices on?
Why would someone choose to be gay if they were not already attracted to the same sex, especially considering the kind of prejudice that many still experience?
You are not making any sense.

All life is about choices, what is so hard to understand.
And yet, we all suffer due to things that we have no control over.
The only reason that you insist that sexuality is a choice is because your religious belief requires it. Evidence and logic suggests otherwise.
Reply 324
No, its not.

There is no gay gene assigned to anyone before their birth.
Genes are not "assigned". Particular genes may only increase the likelihood of a certain trait, not guarantee it.
And genetics is not the only biological factor involved.
Original post by QE2
Why do you see nothing in girls?
Do you choose not to, or were you made that way?

I chose not to, so far we have the same features, there is no attraction there.
Original post by QE2
Genes are not "assigned". Particular genes may only increase the likelihood of a certain trait, not guarantee it.
And genetics is not the only biological factor involved.

Genes are not assigned but every person has genes. be it from their father or mother or a combination of both.
Original post by QE2
So you could choose to have sex with a woman and enjoy it.
But earlier, you said that you could never do that!

I could chose to have sex but I won't do that because I am not attracted to girls.

You could chose to have sex with a woman but not necessarily enjoy it.
So, you were making that up.

No, I was not making that up, its been a while since I saw them last.

Yes, but why do people question their sexuality, and what do they base their choices on?
Why would someone choose to be gay if they were not already attracted to the same sex, especially considering the kind of prejudice that many still experience?
You are not making any sense.

Gay people don't have to be gay, they don't have to act upon what they do so far it is their actions that make people frown upon them.

They chose to act upon their sexual desires.

And yet, we all suffer due to things that we have no control over.
The only reason that you insist that sexuality is a choice is because your religious belief requires it. Evidence and logic suggests otherwise.

Yes, at times we may suffer for the stuff we have no control over but it does not mean that we will suffer for ever.

Regardless of peoples religious beliefs, I just don't think its right and why would God(if you believe he exists) look down upon it if it was not a choice, surely, he would not.

I had enough of this thread and I have my own opinions.
Original post by QE2
So you feel attracted to girls, and you resist it, or you want to be attracted to girls but it just won't happen?

Either way, it shows that your sexuality has an innate (god made us that way) quality.

What? I am not attracted to girls whatsoever and don't t think I ever will.
Original post by QE2
So we choose whether to be left or right handed?
Tall or short?
Artistic or practical?
Violent or gentle?
Christian or atheist?
Healthy or sickly?

What makes them attracted to the opposite sex or not? Is that a choice?

The problem that you have here is that you are arguing from a position of belief. Homosexuality must be a sinful, lifestyle choice because god condemns it in the Bible. It is not a position based on evidence, just assertion.

Unfortunately (for your position), research has found that there are biological and genetic factors that affect our sexuality, as well as environmental. And the research has not stopped. You have basically staked all your theological chips on science never proving a link between biology and sexuality.
Good luck with that!
http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2015/jul/24/gay-genes-science-is-on-the-right-track-were-born-this-way-lets-deal-with-it

Stuff like that, we have no control over so, no choice however as we mature in age etc we begin to make choices.

Influence does play a role but sometimes its due to the fact that we allow it to.

For instance, most of the greatest enterprouners started from scratch and were look down upon because of their disabilities but regardless of that, they did not let their disability be a barrier to them.
Reply 330
I chose not to, so far we have the same features, there is no attraction there.
You keep contradicting yourself.

If you are not attracted to women, you are not choosing to see nothing in them.

If you are choosing to find them unatractive, it means that you could choose to find them attractive, and could therefore have a sexual relationship with them.
Reply 331
So you are not choosing your sexuality. It is just the way you are.

Case closed, I think you'll agree.
No, its not.

There is no gay gene assigned to anyone before their birth.

Now that is ignorance.

In what world do you think A SINGLE GENE determines your entire sexuality.
Jesus christ, I really hope youre not studying anything biology related.
Reply 333
Stuff like that, we have no control over so, no choice however as we mature in age etc we begin to make choices.
So you agree that there are many elements to who we are that we have no control over.

Influence does play a role but sometimes its due to the fact that we allow it to.
So you agree that some people resist their natural sexuality.

For instance, most of the greatest enterprouners started from scratch and were look down upon because of their disabilities but regardless of that, they did not let their disability be a barrier to them.
:confused:
Original post by farhiyaserar
the thing we as muslims just cant stand by and watch one of our sisters go down the wrong path. same way you wouldnt like it if one your family members are doing something wrong or harmful.
it doesnt matter if she takes the advice or if she doesnt, we still need to let her know that what she is doing isnt whats good for in the long run. this applies to all muslims sinning not just the ones leaving Islam. we're sister/brotherhood who are supposed guide/ not force!! and it is a sin for us to just watch someone sin.

It's not the wrong path though. Loads of ex-muslims profess that the best decision they ever made was leaving Islam.

Now the OP has clearly expressed the desire not to see swarms of muslims invade this thread with their dawah and Qur'an quotes, why can't they respect that? If anything, muslims doing that are likely to make her dislike Islam even more.

Well how do you know for sure? You say it's a choice so you may choose to one day?
Original post by Rat_Bag
Like what ISIS are doing in Iraq and Syria and what Wahabbis are doing in Saudi Arabia?
Would you ever leave Islam?

I don't quite get what youre asking but ISIS is NOT TRUE ISLAM. they have a a very distorted sense of islam and it seriously pisses me of . so yeah

no.
(edited 8 years ago)
You didn't want to consider yourself a Hindu Atheist :wink:?
lol
Original post by DiamondPower
I don't quite get what youre asking but ISIS is NOT TRUE ISLAM. they have a a very distorted sense of islam and it seriously pisses me of . so yeah

You talked about the need to obliterate cultural practices from Islam and take Muslims back to a pure Islam. You're basically advocating Islamic fundamentalism (whereby only the pure fundamentals of Islam guide and direct Muslims' (and by implication society's behaviour)

This is what Saudi Arabia does with it's destruction of historical place and graves of Mohammad's family and companions (to stop the "cultural" practice of people visiting them, valuing them, making prayers whilst at them)

It is also what ISIS do when they cleanse all "impurities" from Iraq and Syria, such as the "cultural practice" of Muslims taking Christians as friends, such as the preservation of pre-Abrahamic cultural relics and antiquities, such as a general "culture" of tolerance of alcohol consumption, etc etc.

And out of interest, what are ISIS doing which are not in accordance with Islam?

Original post by DiamondPower
no.

Why not? Are you not open minded?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by QE2
A very interesting, and refreshingly honest, approach. Unusual amongst Muslims.

So, do you still consider the Quran to be literally authored by god?

Tbh I don't really believe in God anymore and there are a number of reasons why.

Firstly, the fact that God demands all of his creation to 'submit' to his will is preposterous especially so that they are sent to hell of they don't. It makes God out to be quite frankly an egotistical maniac self-obsessed with himself.

Secondly, the problem of evil and suffering. "either God cannot abolish evil or he will not. If he cannot then he is not all powerful; if he will not then he is not all good"(epicurus) to simplify this argument, some key beliefs are that God is omniopotent and omnibenevolent. But the problem of evil and suffering challenges this as how can a God with these characteristics let evil and suffering exist?

Finally, there are more reasons as to why I believe that God doesn't exist but I think the ones above illustrate my view.
So to sum up, no I don't believe that the quran is the word of God simply because God can't exist. However, if he were to exist then God is not worthy of any praise and is in fact very flawed and his 'word' tbh is BS.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest