The Student Room Group

Help now

I have to do a social, moral or ethical speech in school and I have no idea what to talk about, any ideas? it has to be a five minute speech, no boring topics please and I need something that can catch my teacher's attention. ty all :*
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
"It is wrong to keep pets when there are people starving in the world." I did that as an essay and it certainly created an impression on the English teacher.
Reply 2
Original post by itsyahg
I have to do a social, moral or ethical speech in school and I have no idea what to talk about, any ideas?

Do you watch the news or read a (quality) newspaper? Plenty of topics to choose from...

How about refugees and migration, for a start. Or Tax Credits. Or the role of food banks. Or the right to die. Or...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simes
"It is wrong to keep pets when there are people starving in the world." I did that as an essay and it certainly created an impression on the English teacher.

Is it right to discard a third of the food we produce because it is not deemed "perfect"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06nzl76/hughs-war-on-waste-episode-1
Reply 4
Do a speech on the concept of morality and look at if there is a definitive objective view of morality and how that can affect the way we view life. And if there is no such thing as an objective view of morality, doing a speech about moral ideas is completely irrelevant.
Reply 5
Original post by Simes

Thanks, that would be quite an interesting topic to talk about but I hope it doesn't offend the audience if they have a pet
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Do you watch the news or read a (quality) newspaper? Plenty of topics to choose from...

How about refugees and migration, for a start. Or Tax Credits. Or the role of food banks. Or the right to die. Or...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't watch the news often no, thanks for the ideas
Reply 7
Original post by JW22
Do a speech on the concept of morality and look at if there is a definitive objective view of morality and how that can affect the way we view life. And if there is no such thing as an objective view of morality, doing a speech about moral ideas is completely irrelevant.

that's a brilliant idea but i'm not sure if I can talk for 5 minutes about that, and yeah that's very true. thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by ByEeek
Is it right to discard a third of the food we produce because it is not deemed "perfect"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06nzl76/hughs-war-on-waste-episode-1

Nope. It p****s me off.

As someone who works in a supermarket and often has to do the disposals, it really hurts having to throw away a box of 17 eggs because 1 of them is broken. Just policy.

I asked my supervisor why, and they said "...it's easier that way. We don't really agree with it either, but it's just the way we do things..."
Reply 9
Original post by itsyahg
Thanks, that would be quite an interesting topic to talk about but I hope it doesn't offend the audience if they have a pet
If you can do a moral or ethical speech and not offend anybody, it probably wasn't worth doing.

Quick Reply

Latest