The Student Room Group

Citalopram - experiences (particularly interested in opinions of 'bipolar' people)?

Ok, so my doctor wanted to put me on both antidepressants and mood stabilisers, after diagnosing me with bipolar disorder. I am pretty sure that I don't even have bipolar and I don't want to take so many different drugs therefore going against his advice and starting just antidepressants - citalopram 20mg. Still if by any chance the doctor was right, -how did citalopram affect you (if you are bipolar)? Even if you aren't bipolar - did it work for you?
Also, does it interact with valium? Forgot to ask him but he doesn't know I'm on it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I already have valium, which is diazepam. Isn't nitrazepam a benzo as well? I struggle with depression so wanted to give antidepressants a try, I actually think benzos make depression a bit worse in my case.

It sucks that it didn't work for you, wouldn't want it to mess with my concentration ;/
Reply 2
I think it doesn't really work that strongly on me. I only take 10 mg tho
Reply 3
Original post by MJlover
I think it doesn't really work that strongly on me. I only take 10 mg tho

Maybe the amount they give you depends on your weight and symptoms, idk. I weigh 108lbs
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Maybe the amount they give you depends on your weight and symptoms, idk. I weigh 108lbs

no my doctor didn't weight me actually. and i have anxiety instead of depression/mood
I'm currently on a trial for citalopram for depression as a last resort before I get referred to a Psychiatrist. I'm also on Mirtazipine.

Ever since I've been on Citalopram I space out continuously. My mental thought process isn't there, and I lose attention to things incredibly quickly and have just become very slow. I'm very "dissociated" when I talk to people. Even basic things confuse the **** put of me.

On the plus side, it knocks me flat out at night. Everyone is different and I have been experience some of those symptoms before hand but all in all it's made those slightly worse, but at least I'm not feeling as bad as I was mentally (that's cause it's now nearly impossible to feel anything)
Reply 6
I see, thanks, so do you think that i shouldn't even try the citalopram because it's...well... ****ty? I mean, it's probably not good to take one drug this week and then switch to another one next week and so on.
Reply 7
Original post by LadyEcliptic
I'm currently on a trial for citalopram for depression as a last resort before I get referred to a Psychiatrist. I'm also on Mirtazipine.

Ever since I've been on Citalopram I space out continuously. My mental thought process isn't there, and I lose attention to things incredibly quickly and have just become very slow. I'm very "dissociated" when I talk to people. Even basic things confuse the **** put of me.

On the plus side, it knocks me flat out at night. Everyone is different and I have been experience some of those symptoms before hand but all in all it's made those slightly worse, but at least I'm not feeling as bad as I was mentally (that's cause it's now nearly impossible to feel anything)

Damn that's not good, I already have valium to knock me out when I need it, I was hoping for something to UNzombify me, not zombify me even further, damn that shrink. Thanks for sharing.
Damn that's not good, I already have valium to knock me out when I need it, I was hoping for something to UNzombify me, not zombify me even further, damn that shrink. Thanks for sharing.

Don't get me wrong, I think any sort of mild sedative will give you that effect and considering I am on 2 of those, it makes it worse :P Even typing can be a struggle.

It's worth trying, you never know what might help. It could have the opposite effect on you, you never know. And I'm sure it reacts differently with different medicines. :smile:
Reply 9
The first two weeks of Citalopram were absolutely horrible. I had nausea, bleeding lips, terrifying anxiety, shocks, shakes, zero appetite, some incredibly weird dreams, dizziness, it wasn't fun, but I was so desperate to get better, so I stuck with it.They did all settle down after the two week mark was over. After that Citalopram really helped me and I felt much better and much more able to cope.
Also, I'm not bipolar:smile:
Ok, so my doctor wanted to put me on both antidepressants and mood stabilisers, after diagnosing me with bipolar disorder. I am pretty sure that I don't even have bipolar and I don't want to take so many different drugs therefore going against his advice and starting just antidepressants - citalopram 20mg. Still if by any chance the doctor was right, -how did citalopram affect you (if you are bipolar)? Even if you aren't bipolar - did it work for you?
Also, does it interact with valium? Forgot to ask him but he doesn't know I'm on it.

Do not take Citalopram if you are suspected of having bipolar disorder. In the leaflet that accompanies it it specificically states that citalopram can induce a manic state. Tell your doctor about this. (although its dissappointing that you're the one pointing it out).

I noticed severe spacing out too when I first started Citalopram. I'm finr though, maybe it's just an ajustment issue?
Don't get me wrong, I think any sort of mild sedative will give you that effect and considering I am on 2 of those, it makes it worse :P Even typing can be a struggle.

It's worth trying, you never know what might help. It could have the opposite effect on you, you never know. And I'm sure it reacts differently with different medicines. :smile:

Yeah, guess you are right!

That's so annoying, seems like most GPs tend to prescribe SSRIs and they aren't even that good : (

Original post by ivy.98
The first two weeks of Citalopram were absolutely horrible. I had nausea, bleeding lips, terrifying anxiety, shocks, shakes, zero appetite, some incredibly weird dreams, dizziness, it wasn't fun, but I was so desperate to get better, so I stuck with it.They did all settle down after the two week mark was over. After that Citalopram really helped me and I felt much better and much more able to cope.
Also, I'm not bipolar:smile:

Damn, that's really bad. If that happened to me, I'd probably quit asap.

Do not take Citalopram if you are suspected of having bipolar disorder. In the leaflet that accompanies it it specificically states that citalopram can induce a manic state. Tell your doctor about this. (although its dissappointing that you're the one pointing it out).

Well, I was prescribed this and mood stabilisers but chose not to go on mood stabilizers because I think I was misdiagnosed. Are other antidepressants likely to induce it as well?

I noticed severe spacing out too when I first started Citalopram. I'm finr though, maybe it's just an ajustment issue?

Glad you're doing better now.
Be careful, ADs can sometimes cause mania in those with bipolar. Not saying don't take them - just be aware of the warning signs.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Be careful, ADs can sometimes cause mania in those with bipolar. Not saying don't take them - just be aware of the warning signs.

Thanks for the warning! I think the doctor misdiagnosed me though, and I don't have bipolar so not too worried about that.

After reading your comments guys I wanted to try Mirtazapine instead but read on the internet that almost everyone puts weight on it even if they don't stop exercising/or ear more, might be metabolism thing! I am a little bit underweight but I honestly love it that way, I used to suffer from an eating disorder and I think that weight gain could trigger that again! So think I'll just try citalopram at first and see.
Thanks for the warning! I think the doctor misdiagnosed me though, and I don't have bipolar so not too worried about that.

After reading your comments guys I wanted to try Mirtazapine instead but read on the internet that almost everyone puts weight on it even if they don't stop exercising/or ear more, might be metabolism thing! I am a little bit underweight but I honestly love it that way, I used to suffer from an eating disorder and I think that weight gain could trigger that again! So think I'll just try citalopram at first and see.

If you won't take the mood stabiliser, could you at least make sure someone who sees you most days (parent, housemate, whoever) knows you're starting citalopram without it and your current diagnosis? I know it's hard to tell people, but if you were to become manic they may be more likely to notice or think it's a problem more than you and make you see a medical professional again, the danger is otherwise you could end up doing yourself serious harm and noone would know what was going on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been taking it since I was 13 - I'm 18 now,
Its very very good and I found that it massively reduced my low mood and anxiety

As for spacing out - I still do that despite being on the tablets for 5 years - i think its more a side effect of the mental disorders as opposed to the medication
I really want to be weaned off them but the side effects are awful

When I first started taking;
-Sleepiness ( I literally slept for 4 days straight)
-Nausea
-loss of appetite
-Weight loss

When I miss ONE dose ;
-Extreme Nausea
-Migraines

Continued Side Effects
-Fits/Spasms in my Sleep
-Migraines

But despite all this it is a good medication.I can honestly say it saved my life!
Original post by furryface12
If you won't take the mood stabiliser, could you at least make sure someone who sees you most days (parent, housemate, whoever) knows you're starting citalopram without it and your current diagnosis? I know it's hard to tell people, but if you were to become manic they may be more likely to notice or think it's a problem more than you and make you see a medical professional again, the danger is otherwise you could end up doing yourself serious harm and noone would know what was going on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My partner knows about the diagnosis and the fact that I'm getting on antidepressants, I see them everyday when they return from work (we live together). Not sure if they'd notice if the drug turns me 'manic' because sometimes I am naturally crazy anyway :giggle: But fingers crossed, worst case scenario - I have valium and will use if if things get out of hand, thanks for the heads up!

I've been taking it since I was 13 - I'm 18 now,
Its very very good and I found that it massively reduced my low mood and anxiety

As for spacing out - I still do that despite being on the tablets for 5 years - i think its more a side effect of the mental disorders as opposed to the medication
I really want to be weaned off them but the side effects are awful

When I first started taking;
-Sleepiness ( I literally slept for 4 days straight)
-Nausea
-loss of appetite
-Weight loss

When I miss ONE dose ;
-Extreme Nausea
-Migraines

Continued Side Effects
-Fits/Spasms in my Sleep
-Migraines

But despite all this it is a good medication.I can honestly say it saved my life!

Doesn't sound TOO bad, I am not planning on taking it long term anyway - max 6 months or so, so hopefully I'll be fine, thanks for sharing your experience with it!
Reply 18
I take this drug, although for my PTSD, I have a horrible feeling I may be making my anxiety worse, any of you found this? They put me up on a higher dose and although they took be back to 20, I now find it hard to go out at all because of ky fear of people.
Original post by weaselx
I take this drug, although for my PTSD, I have a horrible feeling I may be making my anxiety worse, any of you found this? They put me up on a higher dose and although they took be back to 20, I now find it hard to go out at all because of ky fear of people.

I'm off it now, it almost made me insane, and also anxious, I'm the OP.

Quick Reply

Latest