The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

University of Leicester's reputation?

Hey

I'm considering putting down University of Leicester as one of my 5 choices, as an insurance most likely.

I'm an international student, and as a result don't know much about the University of Leicester. I was therefore wondering how the University of Leicester is generally seen in the UK? How is the overall reputation of the university?

I suppose most people from outside the UK haven't heard of it, and seeing as how I would like work in the USA in the future, I'm not sure that it would get the same kind of recognition as say, University of Liverpool or Newcastle University (Two Russell Group universities)?

It seems like the university has fantastic teaching quality and that most students there are overall satisfied? Although how is the overall reputation of the university itself?

Thanks
You'll get a comparable quality of education in general to the other universities you mention. I have no idea how it will be perceived in the USA but I would imagine, like you say, that nobody will have heard of it.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by cazzem
Hey

I'm considering putting down University of Leicester as one of my 5 choices, as an insurance most likely.

I'm an international student, and as a result don't know much about the University of Leicester. I was therefore wondering how the University of Leicester is generally seen in the UK? How is the overall reputation of the university?

I suppose most people from outside the UK haven't heard of it, and seeing as how I would like work in the USA in the future, I'm not sure that it would get the same kind of recognition as say, University of Liverpool or Newcastle University (Two Russell Group universities)?

It seems like the university has fantastic teaching quality and that most students there are overall satisfied? Although how is the overall reputation of the university itself?

Thanks

Hello.

I am applying to Leicester too and my friend is a fresher for Psychology there. It's a pretty good university in the UK.

To be honest, outside of Imperial, UCL, LSE and Oxbridge, a lot of UK universities, even the Russell Groups like the ones you mentioned, sit on the same bench as each other. I personally would not look at rank overall, look at rank and performance for your specific course. If you look at Huddersfield for example, not generally renowned but its history course is amazing and very successful. Hull is the same, its Psychology course is superb but it isn't GENERALLY that well renowned.

I would say its a good one.

Jay
(edited 8 years ago)
Leicester is generally regarded as being one of the best universities outside of the Russell Group. I really wouldn't say it's very far behind places like Liverpool and Newcastle when it comes to its reputation, if at all tbh. While it's not the kind of uni that you'll see represented at the country's biggest law firms/banks/consultancy firms, a 2:1 or above in a good subject from Leicester certainly will not close any doors.
Original post by ivybridge
Hello.

I am applying to Leicester too and my friend is a fresher for Psychology there. It's a pretty good university in the Uk and it is part of the Russell Group.

To be honest, outside of Imperial, UCL, LSE and Oxbridge, a lot of UK universities, even the Russell Groups like the ones you mentioned, sit on the same bench as each other. I personally would not look at rank overall, look at rank and performance for your specific course. If you look at Huddersfield for example, not generally renowned but its history course is amazing and very successful. Hull is the same, its Psychology course is superb but it isn't GENERALLY that well renowned.

I would say its a good one.

Jay

breh its not an RG
Original post by ayy lmao XD
breh its not an RG

Oh my God, you're right. Crap, sorry OP :lol:. It doesn't have that label but it's often placed on the same bench as a lot of those.
Reply 6
Thank you all for your quick responses!

Granted, most people here will be biased to Leicester. But as an international student who will most likely not stay in the UK for postgraduate studies or work, would the Russell Group brand be better to have than a degree from Leicester? I would assume that Leicester is more nationally renowned, while it's not very internationally known?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending