Maths, Further Maths, Physics, German.

5th - Chemistry

Similar A-levels to the ones i want to take,
Mine being: Maths,Further Maths,Physics, Computing and French
Original post by AN1ASAR
Similar A-levels to the ones i want to take,
Mine being: Maths,Further Maths,Physics, Computing and French

Ah good on you with computing.

Honestly if I knew I could have done 5 without so much hassle, (and if my crappy school offered it) I'd have pushed a 6th with computing. I took ICT for GCSE thinking I'd learn to code and all this cool stuff. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Do take 5 though if you think you're good enough at managing time and you find the subjects easy. With a language, it can take up a lot of time if you're not a native speaker so be careful
Reply 42
Original post by Student403
Ah good on you with computing.

Honestly if I knew I could have done 5 without so much hassle, (and if my crappy school offered it) I'd have pushed a 6th with computing. I took ICT for GCSE thinking I'd learn to code and all this cool stuff. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Do take 5 though if you think you're good enough at managing time and you find the subjects easy. With a language, it can take up a lot of time if you're not a native speaker so be careful

Same - i took ICT GCSE, waste of time, i do learn Programming in my own time tho, what did you get for AS In the subjects you did?
Original post by AN1ASAR
Same - i took ICT GCSE, waste of time, i do learn Programming in my own time tho, what did you get for AS In the subjects you did?

Yeah same I enjoyed learning Python!

Hahaha quite embarrassing I'd rather not talk about it xDD
Reply 44
I regret not taking the A Levels I would have enjoyed. I took Physics because I was told I had to have the 3 sciences (wrong)... I hate A Level Chem & Physics, and I can't help thinking that if I'd taken a 3rd subject I enjoyed (like Psychology or Geography) I would've naturally done so much better at AS. :frown:
Original post by Laurasaur
Not getting into a science placement for work experience. That would've added a lot to my personal statement. Also, I kind of regret not taking up a sport just for an excuse to say I can work in a team/ lead it. But meh, hopefully my grades, wider reading and study-buddying are enough.

You do know no one actually cares about that stuff, right?
Original post by Lemon Haze
You do know no one actually cares about that stuff, right?

If no one cares about work placements what kind of things do unis care about then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StayCoolGuys
If no one cares about work placements what kind of things do unis care about then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your grades.
Reply 48
Original post by lonelyAvocado
tmi dude.

t-m-i

Are you sure? I am pretty sure that was a crucial part of university application.
Reply 49
Applying for a uni with higher entry requirements. Was always put down by my head of sixth form that I wouldn't achieve/exceed my predicted grades (which were BCC) so he told me to apply for lower uni's, and I got A*AC in the end! They aren't always right.
Your grades.

Actually, depends on the course someone is interested in and of course the university you're applying to. Competitive courses and highly ranked academic institutions really take into consideration science placements and things like taking part in sports activities. It shows that you are a well-rounded person that has also gained valuable experience and skills outside of school.

As far as I know, well respected unis don't care only about the grades.
Original post by lonelyAvocado
Actually, depends on the course someone is interested in and of course the university you're applying to. Competitive courses and highly ranked academic institutions really take into consideration science placements and things like taking part in sports activities. It shows that you are a well-rounded person that has also gained valuable experience and skills outside of school.

As far as I know, well respected unis don't care only about the grades.

Unless your applying for Oxbridge, it doesn't actually matter how much experiences you have...I promise you. You think they really have time to read all of those personal statements in detail?
Original post by JayYY99
Are you sure? I am pretty sure that was a crucial part of university application.

I'm not even sure how to reply to that.
Here's a duck.
Unless your applying for Oxbridge, it doesn't actually matter how much experiences you have...I promise you. You think they really have time to read all of those personal statements in detail?

A well written personal statement helps the universities understand if you're worth being offered a place without reading the whole thing.

My point is; grades are important, but so is experience. You simply cannot depend only one of them and then wonder why someone with grades slightly worse than yours but with a lot more experience has been offered a place while you've been rejected.
OK, this is the most important advice I could possibly give to applicants:
Even if you're already 'certain' about what degree you want to do... keep your mind open. I very nearly applied for a degree 'because I'd wanted to do it since year 10'. I had to repeat year 12 (due to bad grades) otherwise I would have ended up doing it. In May (8th May to be precise) I started to look at another degree. I'm very grateful I did because I now know what my real passion is. I've now applied to do that degree after doing more extracurricular in that summer than I'd done for the other subject in 3 years.

So even if you think you're certain... don't take it for granted.

Another piece of advice... don't rely on league tables. There's a whole article on here explaining why you shouldn't. Go by the course modules (which vary between universities even with the same course name/code) and by the feel of the university. Look at employment rates and study abroad opportunities. Don't let a newspaper, website or other people tell you which University to go to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by emiloujess
OK, this is the most important advice I could possibly give to applicants:
Even if you're already 'certain' about what degree you want to do... keep your mind open. I very nearly applied for a degree 'because I'd wanted to do it since year 10'. I had to repeat year 12 (due to bad grades) otherwise I would have ended up doing it. In May (8th May to be precise) I started to look at another degree. I'm very grateful I did because I now know what my real passion is. I've now applied to do that degree after doing more extracurricular in that summer than I'd done for the other subject in 3 years.

So even if you think you're certain... don't take it for granted.

Another piece of advice... don't rely on league tables. There's a whole article on here explaining why you shouldn't. Go by the course modules (which vary between universities even with the same course name/code) and by the feel of the university. Look at employment rates and study abroad opportunities. Don't let a newspaper, website or other people tell you which University to go to.

Could you provide a link to the said article?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really regret not going with my gut in year 13 and taking a gap year. I knew I wanted to go to uni, to study my favourite subject, but I really didn't know where I wanted to go. If I had taken that time to work out what I really want then I think I'd be happier at the university I went to.

Thanks so much for that article, really does put into perspective that everything isn't cut and dry
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StayCoolGuys
Thanks so much for that article, really does put into perspective that everything isn't cut and dry
Posted from TSR Mobile

I loved that article, the person who wrote it obviously knew their stuff! Yeah league tables aren't exactly reliable. I'd say the number one most important thing is the feel of the university, and obviously the course.

Best of luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending