The Student Room Group

Women were the last demographic to be able to vote. But so what?

I've just got in a huge argument with a couple of girls on my course about women being the last group to receive the right to vote. They were having a dig at me (I'm black they are both white) after I gave them a lengthy argument on why black people are the most oppressed demographic then they were like 'actually no that's women, black men could vote before we could'.

But how is that even true. White women were more protected and advantaged in soceity more so than black men even if they couldn't vote because the white male privilege extended to white women.

Plus more than likely women would vote for the same person their husbands voted for so them getting their own right to vote is pointless.

Even if their 'argument' is true the fact remains that black women or women of colour are the least oppressed demographics and white women don't factor into that.

Scroll to see replies

bumped
I can't believe people argue about who's more oppressed.

Woman: I am the most oppressed
Ethnic minority: No, I'M more oppressed than you
Lgbt: lol guys it's so obviously me that's oppressed the most.
Original post by StrawbAri

Woman: I am the most opressed
Lgbt: lol guys it's so obviously me that's opressed the most.
It's known as the oppression Olympics. The best athletes are usually those who engage in oppression gymnastics as they manage to twist societal advantages into disadvantages and vice versa to suit their agenda.

Woman: I am the most oppressed
Lgbt: lol guys it's so obviously me that's oppressed the most.

I can only deduce from this comment that you are a white girl who has never faced hardship much less institutional oppression

We need to have discussions about who is more oppressed so that funding and support can be redirected from people like YOU to those that actually need and deserve it.
Reply 5
Original post by Danny McCoyne
Plus more than likely women would vote for the same person their husbands voted for so them getting their own right to vote is pointless.
Oh, I say, old chap! We said we wouldn't say that sort of thing in front of the fairer sex.

We all agreed that we'd only give these silly girly sorts the chance to play at voting providing we never let on we know they can't work out who to vote for. Obviously the little pretties only vote for whoever we tell them to, but it is frightfully important we don't let on to them that they're all like that. Otherwise they might start filling their pretty little heads with politics, and then they'll go all strange and faint or something, and then we'd have to make our own dinner.

So, keep Mum about the ladies being too silly to vote, eh?

Now then, chums, can one of you good chaps remind me what time is tonight's misogyny meeting? The wife's taken the social diary out shopping with her, the silly thing. Women, eh? Can't live with 'em, can't wear clean ironed clothes without 'em.
(edited 8 years ago)
I can only deduce from this comment that you are a white girl who has never faced hardship much less institutional oppression

We need to have discussions about who is more oppressed so that funding and support can be redirected from people like YOU to those that actually need and deserve it.

Lol. Because you moaning about how hard your life is because you have some melanin to some dumb, self-entitled, delusional, women, is gonna change the world for black people. Get a grip you ****.
Original post by Simes
Oh, I say, old chap! We said we wouldn't say that sort of thing in front of the fairer sex.

We all agreed that we'd only give these silly girly sorts the chance to play at voting providing we never let on we know they can't work out who to vote for. Obviously the little pretties only vote for whoever we tell them to, but it is frightfully important we don't let on to them that they're all like that. Otherwise they might start filling their pretty little heads with politics, and then they'll go all strange and faint or something, and then we'd have to make our own dinner.

So, keep Mum about the ladies being too silly to vote, eh?

Now then, chums, can one of you good chaps remind me what time is tonight's misogyny meeting? The wife's taken the social diary out shopping with her, the silly thing. Women, eh? Can't live with 'em, can't wear clean ironed clothes without 'em.

Another white person who is avoiding discussions about racial oppression at all costs colour me surprised.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oppression Olympics!! Yay! What an intelligent debate.

No I'm a black girl with albinism that lives in Africa.
Are we done measuring our oppression-o-metres now?

Original post by TorpidPhil
Lol. Because you moaning about how hard your life is because you have some melanin to some dumb, self-entitled, delusional, women, is gonna change the world for black people. Get a grip you ****.

Prsom
No I'm a black girl with albinism that lives in Africa.
Are we done measuring our oppression-o-metres now?

Prsom

You rekt him tho.
Reply 11
Another white person who is avoiding discussions about racial oppression at all costs colour me surprised.
I'm not avoiding it, merely pointing out your own prejudice.

Interesting name, Danny McCoyne. Sounds Irish.

In a diversity awareness course I was sent to some years ago, two blazing arguments broke out. The first was between the females in the room over whether they should be addressed as "girls", "women" or "ladies".

The second was when the Irish woman finally exploded and let rip at the Asian and black people in the group with an argument to the effect of "What do you people know about being black? You come over here with your rights and privileges moaning about how hard it is, it makes me sick. I'm Irish and we're the original blacks. Have you ever seen a pub with a sign saying 'No dogs or blacks'? Because when I was growing up here there were signs saying 'No dogs or Irish'. You'll never be as black as me, you don't know what black means. We Irish are the original blacks." It went fairly mental after that, banging on about colonialism and slavery and the Irish fighting for the British and so on. Marvellous stuff.

It was an interesting two day course. I just kept my gob shut and watched and listened.
Oppression shouldn't really be compared. I think there should be separate spaces for oppressed groups (e.g. black people, women, disabled people) instead of constant fighting over who is 'most oppressed' and who deserves most attention in social justice issues.
The facts show Blacks are more oppressed in the US
Reply 14
Please.

Some people think being busted for fare dodging is oppression, or when Starbucks run out of spiced pumpkin lattes, so they have to order something else.

I'm sure the genuinely oppressed don't feel they have a voice, let alone a TSR account.
Original post by Simes
I'm not avoiding it, merely pointing out your own prejudice.

Interesting name, Danny McCoyne. Sounds Irish.

In a diversity awareness course I was sent to some years ago, two blazing arguments broke out. The first was between the females in the room over whether they should be addressed as "girls", "women" or "ladies".

The second was when the Irish woman finally exploded and let rip at the Asian and black people in the group with an argument to the effect of "What do you people know about being black? You come over here with your rights and privileges moaning about how hard it is, it makes me sick. I'm Irish and we're the original blacks. Have you ever seen a pub with a sign saying 'No dogs or blacks'? Because when I was growing up here there were signs saying 'No dogs or Irish'. You'll never be as black as me, you don't know what black means. We Irish are the original blacks." It went fairly mental after that, banging on about colonialism and slavery and the Irish fighting for the British and so on. Marvellous stuff.

It was an interesting two day course. I just kept my gob shut and watched and listened.

my user name is from a novel i was reading around the time i created this account lol and how hypocritical of you to accuse me of being prejudiced when you just racially profiled ne because my username is not a stereotypical black name like Tyrone lmao

u went on a diversity awareness course? i can only imagine what offence you comitted at ur workplace or school

Lmao what
Reply 17
my user name is from a novel i was reading around the time i created this account lol and how hypocritical of you to accuse me of being prejudiced when you just racially profiled ne because my username is not a stereotypical black name like Tyrone lmao

u went on a diversity awareness course? i can only imagine what offence you comitted at ur workplace or school
I actually pre-judge you not on your login id but the weakness of your arguments and your illiteracy.

I'm fairly sure you are actually a troll and white.
Bishes love oppressed men. Sounds like they were flirting with you. Give them the D brah.
ITT white people who dont want to take responsibility for their privileged existence.

Quick Reply

Latest