The Student Room Group

Want to lie about volunteering in personal statement

I've never worked or volunteered - not to say it is necessary for A natural science degree.

Can I lie about volunteering in a library? Or something along those lines?

My PS is looking good sending it off next week but need that extra thing in it

Help pls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AK 12
I've never worked or volunteered - not to say it is necessary for A natural science degree.

Help pls

Absolutely not. They will be able to tell if you're lying, they may contact the libary to confirm things or even ask you about your volunteering. You may get away with it but the consequences of getting caught could ruin your application, it is not a necessary risk. If you need something bad enough to put on there then say you will volunteer there however I highly advise you not to do such a thing.
It depends

If you have an interview and try to blag your way through that, they'll notice.
Also, if your school usually manages your work experience then your tutor / referee with probably be inquisitive about this work experience they were never aware about.

It's always worth keeping your personal statement pure and true to yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by Ahmed766
Absolutely not. They will be able to tell if you're lying, they may contact the libary to confirm things or even ask you about your volunteering. You may get away with it but the consequences of getting caught could ruin your application, it is not a necessary risk. If you need something bad enough to put on there then say you will volunteer there however I highly advise you not to do such a thing.

Mate the personal statement is designed to lie and exaggerate. The amount of people who says they have read a certain book but they merely flick through the pages or says that this subject "captivates " them; what normal 17 year old do you think are actually like this
Reply 5

I already know the bs she is going to say, I want genuine answer
Original post by Ahmed766

Who would be daft enough to write the library down when the hadn't done anything there? What admissions tutor has the time checking everyone's claims?
Reply 7
Original post by AK 12

Help pls

I would not recommend it. If at an interview they ask you about it and you seem like you're lying, you won't be accepted into any university. And think to yourself, is it worth lying? Do you think that two or three lines about work will change your personal statement into something amazing? Probably not.
Reply 8
Original post by thecatwithnohat
It depends

If you have an interview and try to blag your way through that, they'll notice.
Also, if your school usually manages your work experience then your tutor / referee with probably be inquisitive about this work experience they were never aware about.

It's always worth keeping your personal statement pure and true to yourself.

I'll just say I volenterred in a library during summer after year 11. No proof I did or didn't mate.
Original post by AK 12
Mate the personal statement is designed to lie and exaggerate. The amount of people who says they have read a certain book but they merely flick through the pages or says that this subject "captivates " them; what normal 17 year old do you think are actually like this

Your call man, if there's an interview then I don't advise it, if there isn't then you're more likely to get away with it but it could still work... It depends on how good you are at lying at the end of the day.
Original post by AK 12
I already know the bs she is going to say, I want genuine answer

that is a genuine answer. i tagged her to come and help because she knows everything about PS. why make a thread just to get an answer you want to hear rather than the actual answer
Don't be a dingbat.

If you didn't do it, don't say you did.
Original post by AK 12
I'll just say I volenterred in a library during summer after year 11. No proof I did or didn't mate.

What the hell lol? If you're not going to listen to what other's think, then do your own thing. At the end of the day, the risk is in your own hands "mate".
Reply 13
Original post by zetamcfc
Who would be daft enough to write the library down when the hadn't done anything there? What admissions tutor has the time checking everyone's claims?

Thanks mate, no stupid tutor sits there ringing 5,000 libraries asking if this student actually volenterred
Reply 14
Useless advice.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Don't be a dingbat.

If you didn't do it, don't say you did.
No. But you could arrange some work experience tomorrow and then you can put that in your statement and say that you will be doing it after arranging it for yourself. There's really no need or point in lying.

Also, if the work exp is relevant to the course, who do you even know you want to do this course if you have no experience? Seems odd to me.
Reply 16
I know how the application process works. I can lie that I won the maths Olympic gold challenge or whatever, NO PROOF REQUIRED mate, at the end of the day theyll know you have exaggerated or lie somewhere
Original post by thecatwithnohat
What the hell lol? If you're not going to listen to what other's think, then do your own thing. At the end of the day, the risk is in your own hands "mate".
Liars are the reason people lose trust in each other.

Smh
Original post by AK 12

Help pls

There's no point.

If it's for a subject where volunteering is a requirement then they're likely to check.

If it's for a subject where volunteering isn't a requirement (like natsci) then it's useless information and a waste of space you could be using to talk about something that actually does relate to your subject.
Original post by AK 12
Useless advice.

No, it isn't.

Don't lie. You're running the risk of being found out, and you're depriving someone who did do some volunteering but maybe slightly less than you lied and said you did of a place

Quick Reply

Latest