The Student Room Group

Does more ground move underneath you the further away you are from earth?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Okay. And more ground doesn't pass underneath you the further away you are (assuming you're a ghost untouched by velocity)?

Spoiler

Correct. If you are floating in space above the equator, stationary relative to the rest of the universe, and the earth is rotating about its axis directly underneath you it doesn't matter how high you are it continues to rotate at the same speed and the same amount of land (or ocean) will pass beneath your dangling feet.

Let's pretend for a second that angular velocity doesn't exist and you could ignore the laws of physics and float above the Earth without being affected by the rotation of the earth or the atmosphere. In that situation, the earth would move at the same pace beneath you regardless of far away from it you are?

On another slightly unrelated subject, this is all helping me understand the dark matter thing a bit better. :holmes:

Yes.

What dark matter thing?
Reply 22
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yes.

What dark matter thing?

This.

It's not really related but it's helped me visualise things a little better. :yy:
Reply 24
This.

It's not really related but it's helped me visualise things a little better. :yy:

Oooh. Almost like:

Original post by jneill
Oooh. Almost like:

x

Based on this thread I've mocked up my first design for a super fast plane :yep:

Spoiler

Reply 26
Based on this thread I've mocked up my first design for a super fast plane :yep:

Spoiler

Sign me up! I'll be your first test passenger (only if you are piloting) :smile:
Original post by jneill
Sign me up! I'll be your first test passenger (only if you are piloting) :smile:

Awesome :top:

This project is so outrageous that nothing can possibly go wrong, the universe would not allow it.
Reply 28
Based on this thread...

AND your latest rep gave me my next gem.

:banana2::banana::banana2::bban::banana2:
Original post by jneill
AND your latest rep gave me my next gem.

:banana2::banana::banana2::bban::banana2:

That's a sign!

[scroll]:yay:[/scroll]
This.

How did I help you with that???

Have I made an unwitting discovery?

Quick Reply

Latest