The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Rejected before MAT, no reasons given (Math application)

I applied for Mathematics (G100) at Imperial College and received a rejection today.
I am quite surprised since the MAT has not taken place yet and they did not comment on the rejection.
Warwick offered me a place two days after I had sent my application (conditional on achieving Grade II in STEP I) and King's College accepted me as well. Thus, I was under the impression that my application had been pretty good. Since I am from Austria I was unable to take Further Maths but that didn't seem to bother Warwick or KCL.

I wrote an email to the Imperial College admission service a few minutes ago but I would like to know if anyone here has a clue why I was rejected.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What qualifications do you have?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by sample0222
What qualifications do you have?

I completed my Matura (equivalent to A Levels) with seven 1's, which is the best possible score. My English language level is C2 (CAE, 90 points).
While in 12th grade I studied Math at the University of Vienna and completed three courses.

I believe that's it concerning formal qualifications.
Do you think I'm missing anything?
Original post by Crudus1126
I applied for Mathematics (G100) at Imperial College and received a rejection today.
I am quite surprised since the MAT has not taken place yet and they did not comment on the rejection.
Warwick offered me a place two days after I had sent my application (conditional on achieving Grade II in STEP I) and King's College accepted me as well. Thus, I was under the impression that my application had been pretty good. Since I am from Austria I was unable to take Further Maths but that didn't seem to bother Warwick or KCL.

I wrote an email to the Imperial College admission service a few minutes ago but I would like to know if anyone here has a clue why I was rejected.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/requirements/ just go through and see what you have missed.
Reply 4
Original post by zetamcfc
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/requirements/ just go through and see what you have missed.

Thank you, but I seem to meet their criteria:
"Matura: Scores of 1 in the majority of subjects and in specified relevant subjects."
(I had a 1 in every subject)
and
"Cambridge Advanced English: Grade B"
(I got an A)
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you, but I seem to meet their criteria:
"Matura: Scores of 1 in the majority of subjects and in specified relevant subjects."
(I had a 1 in every subject)
and
"Cambridge Advanced English: Grade B"
(I got an A)

Then as you not from the UK you may wish to ask them if they have a limit on the number of international applicants they can offer a place to. That is to say if they reached their limit then they might have rejected you automatically.
Reply 6
Then as you not from the UK you may wish to ask them if they have a limit on the number of international applicants they can offer a place to. That is to say if they reached their limit then they might have rejected you automatically.

I wrote their natural sciences admission office an email and all I got was an automated response with generic information concerning applications.
Do you perhaps know how I can reach them?
I wrote their natural sciences admission office an email and all I got was an automated response with generic information concerning applications.
Do you perhaps know how I can reach them?

Contact the specific admissions tutor for the course you applied for.

AFAIK Imperial is one of the few with no limit
Original post by Student403
AFAIK Imperial is one of the few with no limit

Ty for the info.
Ty for the info.

No worries. Medicine is an exception though

I have seen this happen a lot over the last few years. In Universities which are very competitive, the Personal Statement is really important and is unfortunately used to eliminate some students before interview. Are you confident with the PS you submitted? UK applicants and students in International schools are helped with this. But anybody who is not familiar with the system should be aware that the Personal Statement should be written very carefully to fulfil certain criteria. It certainly would not be connected to a limit on international or EU students. Congratatulations on your other offers! From what I have read they are both great places to study Maths!
Reply 12
Original post by Oneyearon
I have seen this happen a lot over the last few years. In Universities which are very competitive, the Personal Statement is really important and is unfortunately used to eliminate some students before interview. Are you confident with the PS you submitted? UK applicants and students in International schools are helped with this. But anybody who is not familiar with the system should be aware that the Personal Statement should be written very carefully to fulfil certain criteria. It certainly would not be connected to a limit on international or EU students. Congratatulations on your other offers! From what I have read they are both great places to study Maths!

It's unlikely to be a PS issue for Maths at Imperial. They barely read them...
Original post by jneill

Hello!
Maybe not for Maths, but people applying for Computing last year were definitely rejected based on their PS. And the two departments work together. Confusing!!
Original post by jneill

I'm inclined to agree

Hello!
Maybe not for Maths, but people applying for Computing last year were definitely rejected based on their PS. And the two departments work together. Confusing!!

The two departments work together to administer JMC, but both departments have separate admissions tutors and process all the other types of degrees separately. Op is applying to maths g100.
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
I'm inclined to agree

The two departments work together to administer JMC, but both departments have separate admissions tutors and process all the other types of degrees separately. Op is applying to maths g100.

Yes, I am aware of this. But I am also sure that the admissions tutors from both departments talk amongst themselves!. As I said, last year quite a few applicants for various departments were turned town on the basis of their Personal Statements. But as you are suggesting this may not be the case for the Maths department. Hopefully the OP will get an explanation!
Yes, I am aware of this. But I am also sure that the admissions tutors from both departments talk amongst themselves!. As I said, last year quite a few applicants for various departments were turned town on the basis of their Personal Statements. But as you are suggesting this may not be the case for the Maths department. Hopefully the OP will get an explanation!

Why would the maths admissions tutor speak to the admissions tutor of a separate department about an application for g100?
Why would the maths admissions tutor speak to the admissions tutor of a separate department about an application for g100?

You have misunderstood me. That is not what I am suggesting. I am suggesting that they perhaps talk about their processes for selecting students to interview.
You have misunderstood me. That is not what I am suggesting. I am suggesting that they perhaps talk about their processes for selecting students to interview.

But..Imperial does not interview for maths in general. The only interview offers they make depend on performance in the mat.
But..Imperial does not interview for maths in general. The only interview offers they make depend on performance in the mat.

Ok, Let's hope there is some form of explanation then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending