The Student Room Group

Help! My parents want me to become a doctor

I feel pressurised into becoming a doctor but I really do not want to be. Any sort of conversation with my parents telling them i do not want to be doctor is futile. But, I really do not know what I am going to do as a career though. Ideally, i would like to travel around the world and learn languages. But my family look their noses down at me when i chose a language for an a level and tried to make me change my options. Any advice??
If you don't want to be a doctor, you won't be cut out for surviving med school. Tell your parents that you're more likely to fail at becoming a doctor and would be better off pursuing what you want.
Do only what you want to! You are going to be the one studying the course, not your parents. Seriously do not make the mistake of studying medicine if you have no passion for it- its hard enough as it is.
Original post by High Stakes
If you don't want to be a doctor, you won't be cut out for surviving med school. Tell your parents that you're more likely to fail at becoming a doctor and would be better off pursuing what you want.

don't you dare tell our daughter what she has to do and what she cannot do! its up to us!!
Reply 4
show them the recent junior doctor crisis thing and how they're genrally low paid, that'll put them off.
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
don't you dare tell our daughter what she has to do and what she cannot do! its up to us!!

She will fail.

(even though you're not her parents :rofl: )
Original post by tso
show them the recent junior doctor crisis thing and how they're genrally low paid, that'll put them off.

Medicine is medicine. It will remain highly regarded no matter the 'current' circumstances. The recent junior doctor crisis is indeed problematic but it only affects junior doctors - Her parents are clearly on focused on the long term benefits for her. Which is to become a fully qualified doctor.
I'm literally in the same boat. I thought i wanted to do medicine and my parents were so happy. then months later i told them i realised i don't think it's for me. I want to do engineering instead. They got SO annoyed and are convinced i'll end up unemployed lol. They say there's always a demand for doctors etc.
They got annoyed when i ended up taking sociology and said it's not a good subject.

What they don't realise is i'm much more likely to get into a TOP uni doing engineering. And I'm so ambitious there's no way i'll become unemployed with any degree.
It's weird most parents would be over the moon if their child told them they wanted to do engineering lol.

I say if you're parents are unhappy but won't physically stop you doing something else then just do the course what you want and explain to them that you're mature and it's a good course and your future will still be bright.
Just stall them intervening long enough until you can prove to them you've made it really.
You should not allow parents to dictate your future career because only you know what you like to do.

Parents do want the best for you and sometimes think they know best but, this is not always the case.

You should pursue what you like alongside looking for good job prospects.

You don't have to be a doctor if you don't want to, there are lots of other health care related careers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending