The Student Room Group

Sexual objectification of women and feminism.

joiiiiiii
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Feminists are vile, always making issues out of things which should not be made an issue of.
I think it's a lot to do with Drake being black as well. Most of the tumblr social crusaders think in absolutes, all whites are oppressing non-whites, all men are responsible for hardships women face, all non-feminists are misogynists ect. In their minds criticising one black dude is the same as criticising the entire black race, so they stay quiet to avoid being called racist by other hypersensitive SJWs.
Original post by HepaxLegomenon
It's very popular these days to complain about the 'sexual objectification' of women in the media...

All hell broke loose in 2013 when the music video for Robin Thicke's song 'Blurred Lines' was released. Just look at the comments section for the video on YouTube. There are comments which even suggest that Thicke himself is a rapist -- all for dancing with some pretty girls for a music video. Yet when the video for Drake's 'Hotline Bling' is released over two years later no one bats an eyelid at the 'objectification' of women in Drake's video. Out of the two, I'd presume Drake's video to be the most offensive (though of course I don't find it offensive) considering the women in this video are just filmed standing on a spot or dancing a bit -- whereas in Thicke's video the women were allowed to basically have a personality.

Why don't people (in particular feminists) care about Drake's video? Is it because Drake is already very popular? I've come to the conclusion that it's because the girls in Drake's video are a bit heavier than the girls in Thicke's videos. The women in Drake's video probably look more similar to the average woman -- and therefore the average feminist. So bearing all of what I've just written in mind, I've decided that this whole trend of complaining about 'sexually objectified' women is all about ego. And it is probably a trend that won't last too much longer.

I will refrain from elaborating as I've already written two paragraph; but what do you think? I'd love to discuss this.

Do you know what 'Blurred lines' means? It wasn't because of naked girls in the videos that people accused him of being a rapist.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Do you know what 'Blurred lines' means? It wasn't because of naked girls in the videos that people accused him of being a rapist.

Aww, you had to tell her that after she already typed all those words :nopity:
Would you say males are sexually objectified to the extent of females in society? And do you think male objectification is given the same attention in the media as female objectification?
Original post by SmashConcept
Aww, you had to tell her that after she already typed all those words :nopity:

Well I think she should have known that!

Everyone should, that song is disgusting, worse is that I actually liked it when I was younger and didn't know what it meant. Sad that 13/14 year olds were singing it around whilst walking around to our next lesson...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7

Everyone should, that song is disgusting, worse is that I actually liked it when I was younger and didn't know what it meant. Sad that 13/14 year olds were singing it around whilst walking around to our next lesson...

Feminists are vile and sinister.

Why do you have a pic of 2 guys kissing?

Anyone who has 2 paragraphs worth of opinion and has not even bothered to learn what people were upset about is not exactly going to change their mind.

I don't think the song is particularly bad. It's a modern pop song, which means it doesn't really have a meaning until you interpret in your own way. Thicke's defence that it was supposed to be ironic and everyone should have known that is ridiculous though. I think most people are like me and had no idea he had more than one song (until that really **** one with Flo.Rida came out).
Blurred Lines was rape apologism. People weren't complaining about the video, it was the 'I know you want it' ****.
Original post by SmashConcept
Anyone who has 2 paragraphs worth of opinion and has not even bothered to learn what people were upset about is not exactly going to change their mind.

I don't think the song is particularly bad. It's a modern pop song, which means it doesn't really have a meaning until you interpret in your own way. Thicke's defence that it was supposed to be ironic and everyone should have known that is ridiculous though. I think most people are like me and had no idea he had more than one song (until that really **** one with Flo.Rida came out).

It was bad. It was the worst one I have heard and probably because it was SO popular.

And the irony excuse is stupid.

And I don't think the lyrics are that subjective to let you interpret it your own way, c'mon...

"Just let me liberate you
You don't need no papers
That man is not your mate
And that's why I'm gon' take you"

"Good girl!
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it"

"Do it like it hurt, like it hurt
What, you don't like work?"

"Baby, can you breathe?"

****ing pr*ck :angry: :angry: :angry:
Original post by slade p
Feminists are vile and sinister.

Why do you have a pic of 2 guys kissing?

You telling me that because I said I don't like a song about rape?

and why can't I?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Blurred Lines was rape apologism. People weren't complaining about the video, it was the 'I know you want it' ****.

It was a bit more than that unfortunately!

That is such an assumption to make -- that the phrase 'blurred lines' has anything to do with rape. You've taken what I'm certain is an innocent phrase so out of context to suit your narrative. So odd.
That is such an assumption to make -- that the phrase 'blurred lines' has anything to do with rape. You've taken what I'm certain is an innocent phrase so out of context to suit your narrative. So odd.

No, it has everything to do with rape, have you heard the lyrics? I'm not just making this up.

The track had connections to rape... Thicke did not try hard to hide that when asked about it either.
losers
(edited 7 years ago)
wew
(edited 7 years ago)
And I don't think the lyrics are that subjective to let you interpret it your own way, c'mon...

Some of those lyrics are wrong.

Spoiler

"That man is not your maker" means the guy she's currently with isn't a God and shouldn't be controlling her.

"Shake your rump
Get down, get up-a
Do it like it hurt, like it hurt
What you don't like work
Hey!"

This appears to be a reference to dancing, not sex

"I know you want it" is the only sketchy part of the song, and it's fine for people not to like it for that reason alone.

"Baby, can you breathe
I got this from Jamaica"

You seem like a good, law abiding kid and I don't want to ruin that for you, but he isn't talking about choking her here.
Why we need feminism:

[video="youtube;tC1XtnLRLPM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC1XtnLRLPM[/video]

:colone: :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending