The Student Room Group

Need Help/Advice AS Level

Hi,
I'm Currently studying As levels at a sixth form college however i want to become a private candidate as it would be best for my circumstance. It takes me about an 1:10 mins to get to Sixth form and i do not enjoy it overall. I know as a private candidate i will do much better as the timing is down to me. How would i go about doing this? i am currently studying AS Statistics, Business and Computing.
Original post by KiloUniform655
Hi,
I'm Currently studying As levels at a sixth form college however i want to become a private candidate as it would be best for my circumstance. It takes me about an 1:10 mins to get to Sixth form and i do not enjoy it overall. I know as a private candidate i will do much better as the timing is down to me. How would i go about doing this? i am currently studying AS Statistics, Business and Computing.

I am also currently a private candidate but you have to ask your self, are you sure you can commit to yourself everyday and be dedicated to teach yourself?
It will cost you money so be prepared for that.

So if you can meet those needs and are fully prepared take the following steps;
1. Search for the nearest exam centre near where you live.
2. Email them, call them up or go to them and apply.
3. They should ask you for everything they require to get you going.

And thats about it. However be aware some exam centres may not take on your subjects and it should mention that on their website.

I hope all goes well, also if you could tell what exam board your doing I may be able to give you a website where you can find your nearest exam centre.
Original post by Montypower
I am also currently a private candidate but you have to ask your self, are you sure you can commit to yourself everyday and be dedicated to teach yourself?

And thats about it. However be aware some exam centres may not take on your subjects and it should mention that on their website.

I hope all goes well, also if you could tell what exam board your doing I may be able to give you a website where you can find your nearest exam centre.

The exam boards that im doing is
Stats : AQA
Business : AQA
Computing : WJEC

I dont think that Computing will be possible due to the fact that there is coursework involved. And yes i am dedicated to teach myself also i will be going to a private tuition at the same time about 3 days a week.
The exam boards that im doing is
Stats : AQA
Business : AQA
Computing : WJEC

I dont think that Computing will be possible due to the fact that there is coursework involved. And yes i am dedicated to teach myself also i will be going to a private tuition at the same time about 3 days a week.

That's really good. Also about the coursework, some schools/exam centres may accept to help you out with that but I'm not 100% on that so don't take my word for it.

Here is the website for AQA: http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-support/private-candidates/finding-a-school-or-college

WJEC: I couldn't find a website for the exam centre locator for WJEC but many centres still take this exam board on.

Also if there is a 6th form or college near you, they make be willing to take you up as a private candidate and they may help you out with your coursework.

Best of luck!
Are you sure about what you are saying?

Apart from your sixthfrom jurney, what else makes you want to be a private candidate? There wil be a lot of independence required for that and if you don't have that motivation then its best not to do private.
Original post by Montypower

Thanks for your help
Original post by German123
Are you sure about what you are saying?

Apart from your sixthfrom jurney, what else makes you want to be a private candidate? There wil be a lot of independence required for that and if you don't have that motivation then its best not to do private.

Yes im pretty sure, The other thing i hate is my business teacher, however maths and computing is fine. Also i dont really have any friends at the sixth form as it is far from my secondary and i feel i could make use of the free periods much better at home. Also the job i would like to do does not require A levels or a degree and therefore if i do manage to become an external candidate i will mabey drop computing or business and stick with two A levels.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes im pretty sure, The other thing i hate is my business teacher, however maths and computing is fine. Also i dont really have any friends at the sixth form as it is far from my secondary and i feel i could make use of the free periods much better at home. Also the job i would like to do does not require A levels or a degree and therefore if i do manage to become an external candidate i will mabey drop computing or business and stick with two A levels.

You know your situation better than anyone else so, if you feel like so then do so.
Speak with your parents as well.
You're Welcome :smile:
Original post by German123
You know your situation better than anyone else so, if you feel like so then do so.
Speak with your parents as well.

Will do Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest