The Student Room Group

First Driving Lesson

Hi,
Can anyone let me know what to expect on a first driving lesson as I have my first lesson in two weeks and want to know what to expect:smile:
Thank you:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I had my first driving lesson about a month ago. I think most instructors use a similar format, which basically means sitting in the car at the side of a quiet road and going over some basic theory, and then having a go at a bit of driving. My first driving lesson was an hour long, with the first 30 minutes going over the theory, and the second half driving in loops around a quiet residential area.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
I had my first driving lesson about a month ago. I think most instructors use a similar format, which basically means sitting in the car at the side of a quiet road and going over some basic theory, and then having a go at a bit of driving. My first driving lesson was an hour long, with the first 30 minutes going over the theory, and the second half driving in loops around a quiet residential area.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much!:smile:
You spend 20-30 minutes on some of the theory and talking about the pedals and the cockpit drill.
Then it depends on the instructor. With my first instructor I just went up one long road and kept stopping and starting to get used to the pedals. With a different instructor I first practised reversing and then drove along a quiet straight road for a while and then drove on 'proper' (as in not as quiet, with traffic lights) road
With my 1st lesson, about 2 months ago (I think), we were in a quiet road. Within 10 minutes I was driving! None of this "20-30 minutes knowing what this and that is " kinda crap. He got me driving straight away, round a block, left turns, and I stayed in gear 1. I did that for about 2 hours.
Reply 5
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
You spend 20-30 minutes on some of the theory and talking about the pedals and the cockpit drill.
Then it depends on the instructor. With my first instructor I just went up one long road and kept stopping and starting to get used to the pedals. With a different instructor I first practised reversing and then drove along a quiet straight road for a while and then drove on 'proper' (as in not as quiet, with traffic lights) road

Oh okay, thank you so much:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
With my 1st lesson, about 2 months ago (I think), we were in a quiet road. Within 10 minutes I was driving! None of this "20-30 minutes knowing what this and that is " kinda crap. He got me driving straight away, round a block, left turns, and I stayed in gear 1. I did that for about 2 hours.

oh okay, im excited now :smile: thank you:smile:
Original post by Britt16
oh okay, im excited now :smile: thank you:smile:

No worries, good luck. Once you drive on the main road its loads of fun! A tip, do NOT let any driver behind you put you off. If youre holding up traffic who cares, if they beep who cares. They were all once learners too so they ALL have to deal with it. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
No worries, good luck. Once you drive on the main road its loads of fun! A tip, do NOT let any driver behind you put you off. If youre holding up traffic who cares, if they beep who cares. They were all once learners too so they ALL have to deal with it. :smile:

I can't wait! That's the one thing i'm scared of:/ i just keep thinking that, thank you!:smile:
Original post by Britt16
Hi,
Can anyone let me know what to expect on a first driving lesson as I have my first lesson in two weeks and want to know what to expect:smile:
Thank you:smile:

Hello

It'll be just going over the cockpit drill and knowing the pedals, etc. If you're learning in a manual car, then your instructor will just go over how to find your biting point with the clutch pedal and gear change. But you'll be able to have a little drive and get used to it :smile: I think I got to my 2nd lesson when my instructor let me drive onto the main road :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A good instructor would allow you to drive home after your first lesson, ultimately they are in charge of the pedals anyway, and can take control in a crisis. good or bad for confidence and enjoyment you should be allowed to drive home!
Reply 11
Had my first driving lesson today. Just 10 minutes after meeting my instructor for first time I was already driving.
Then first 10 minutes it was just around the block in the 1st gear, then she asked me how I feel about changing gears and asked to give it a go. Within next 20 minutes I was already driving in 2nd and even 3rd gear, had to drive trough quite busy roundabouts, had to stop at traffic lights and so on. There were only few times when I felt she was controlling clutch a bit. Managed to drive 4 miles altogether in my first lesson.
I think it really depends on the instructor, mine was really going by the logic - doing better than hearing. She said that she will let me do it and correct me if I do something wrong which I like better than talking for hours.

I think it's really important to go to your first driving lesson being somewhat prepared - know the pedals, correct way to steer and a little idea how to actually gear shifting works. I think it also helped me a little bit that I had passed my theory test before.
Reply 12
Just an update to my previous post.
My driving instructor was very harsh about me making mistakes till the test day, and I believe that made me to pay more attention to what I do on roads and how it affects others. To my surprise I made no errors on my last lesson just before test and passed with just 2 minors. Wohoo!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending