The Student Room Group

Katie Price fan went to uni for just TWO WEEKS so she could bag £14,000 student loan

Scroll to see replies

It isn't fraud. But this girl is a fool and she will doubtless regret wasting her student loan entitlement in a decade or so.
She seems like a classy and intelligent young woman!

'I'm the one who has really invested in my future because my bigger boobs have made me happier every single day.'
Bigger tits = investment. Studying = waste of money. Right.

'You always hear about people who leave university and can't get jobs. That just seems stupid to me.'
Gaining education and skills at university = stupid. Blowing over 10k on surgical enhancements = savvy. Gotcha.

'I'm probably happier than most of the people who enrolled on that course at the same time as me.'
Having your tits pumped full of silicon = fulfillment. Gaining an degree = dissatisfaction. Okey-dokey!
Where do you think they get their money from?

She scammed us.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't blame her. Doing a poxy subject like psychology at a **** uni is a waste of time.
Tbf she does have fantastic boobs...
It would be really funny if here breasts got infected and needed to be amputated.
Original post by Gears265
Typical student, they couldn't use money properly to save their lives

Wrong. She used it properly. She obtained a low interest rate loan to invest in a potentially lucrative career in glamour modelling.

Read my thread on university, it may give you perspective.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=60375691&highlight=
To add to my previous point, if this loan enables her to enter into a lucrative career then she's used the loan exactly in the way it was intially designed to be used insofar as it's really only justified if it enables people to increase their earning potential.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry, there's a limit on how vacuous a post can be if I'm to respond to it, and I'm afraid this crosses it.
Shame she's still ugly...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't really understand how she did this given tuition gets paid directly to the uni by the lons company?!

She may be telling porkies ...
Original post by Snufkin
It isn't fraud

It is, if she misrepresented herself as a student/potential student to secure the money for a purpose other than what it was meant - ie to support her during her studies. Student loans and grants aren't available to the general public.

That said, it's still sloppy reporting by the DM.
Original post by redferry
I don't really understand how she did this given tuition gets paid directly to the uni by the lons company?!

She may be telling porkies ...

She didn't. It sounds as though (as generally happens) we're being old half-truths.
Original post by alexh42
But the tuition fees go directly to the University?
Yeah how did she get so much as well so quickly.

This, it's hard enough getting payments on time and enough to cover rent and stuff.
Plus either way she'll still have to pay it all back.

That's assuming the article is legit, which for the Daily Mail means it's probably bending the facts quite liberally.
Original post by Duncan2012
It is, if she misrepresented herself as a student/potential student to secure the money for a purpose other than what it was meant - ie to support her during her studies. Student loans and grants aren't available to the general public.

That said, it's still sloppy reporting by the DM.

No it isn't. There is no requirement to spend your maintenance grant/loan on food and living costs.

It would be fraudulent to claim a student loan if you weren't enrolled at university, or to claim multiple loans under false identities. Doing what this girl did is not fraudulent - stupid yes, but not illegal.
Original post by Snufkin
No it isn't. There is no requirement to spend your maintenance grant/loan on food and living costs.

It would be fraudulent to claim a student loan if you weren't enrolled at university, or to claim multiple loans under false identities. Doing what this girl did is not fraudulent - stupid yes, but not illegal.

Yes. Once it hits your account, you're free to spend the money on whatever you want.
Original post by Snufkin

Yes, it is. She had no intention of completing a degree, but by claiming she did in order to access funding only available to students then it's fraudulent misrepresentation.
Original post by Duncan2012
Yes, it is. She had no intention of completing a degree, but by claiming she did in order to access funding only available to students then it's fraudulent misrepresentation.

Her intentions are completely irrelevant. If you're so sure it is fraud, prove it. Where does it say in the T&Cs that an applicant must attend classes?
Original post by Snufkin
Her intentions are completely irrelevant. If you're so sure it is fraud, prove it. Where does it say in the T&Cs that an applicant must attend classes?

It's got nothing to do with attending classes and everything to do with how she presented herself and her intentions. Here's a scenario for you - if I go to the bank and say I want a loan to do some home improvements, which is offered at a lower interest rate than a normal loan, but then go and spend the money on a car because I never had any intention of doing the home improvements, is that allowed? What do you think the bank would do?
To be fair to her, you're not obliged to spend it on academic resources. What she's done with the money is completely legal. Whether you agree with surgery or not is simply a matter of opinion. This woman is a product of the broken system we've created and nothing else.

Do I blame her for what she did: No, it's actually a clever move if you think about it.
However this does highlight issues that we need to work together as a society to address.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending