The Student Room Group

Times Tables?

I've recently started doing GCSE Maths at college, and my times tables are lacking, to say the least (I know the 2s, 3s, 5s, 10s, 11s but the others up till 12 evade me). I find it incredibly hard to do basic things like multiplying, dividing or factorising in no small part because not knowing those tables makes it harder. Obviously I plan to learn them, but what I'm surprised at is how much they're under-emphasised. Out of three Maths teachers, only one has ever emphasised learning tables to me. Am I missing something, or are times tables so natural at college-level that it's just expected to know them? Do most studying at that level know them?
Reply 1
Original post by Hashim123
I've recently started doing GCSE Maths at college, and my times tables are lacking, to say the least (I know the 2s, 3s, 5s, 10s, 11s but the others up till 12 evade me). I find it incredibly hard to do basic things like multiplying, dividing or factorising in no small part because not knowing those tables makes it harder. Obviously I plan to learn them, but what I'm surprised at is how much they're under-emphasised. Out of three Maths teachers, only one has ever emphasised learning tables to me. Am I missing something, or are times tables so natural at college-level that it's just expected to know them? Do most studying at that level know them?

I think most people expect anyone in year 7 and above to know most of them tbh
Its emphasised a lot in primary school, and I suppose they just assume you knew them then. Plus, people rely more and more on calculators

I found the easiest way to teach {so learn} times tables is to make a grid of them and fill it in repeatedly. It's just something people take for granted, I guess

hi,
i would really encourage you to learn them as soon as possible it makes live sooooo much easier.
and saves you times in exams.
teachers may already expect you to know this as it is the basics and fundamentals

this is really emphasised in primary schools.
high schools and college may not want to waste time on this
Reply 4
Original post by Vicky628
Its emphasised a lot in primary school, and I suppose they just assume you knew them then. Plus, people rely more and more on calculators

I found the easiest way to teach {so learn} times tables is to make a grid of them and fill it in repeatedly. It's just something people take for granted, I guess

Yeah, it's just repetition ain't it?
Practice practice practice!

Get someone to test you or find a program online that tests you. (or code your own! :biggrin:)
I don't know how kids go through primary school and secondary without knowing them...I'm currently tutoring three gcse kids who don't know them and it's holding them back so much...they take way longer than they should at answering basic questions..
It's not that they are under emphasised, it's just that it's covered in primary curriculum and then teachers move on...
Just memorise them, that's all it is, test yourself and get others to test you, then work on your speed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Similar to my case but I have a GCSE in maths, how funny.
Original post by Biryani007
I don't know how kids go through primary school and secondary without knowing them...I'm currently tutoring three gcse kids who don't know them and it's holding them back so much...they take way longer than they should at answering basic questions..
It's not that they are under emphasised, it's just that it's covered in primary curriculum and then teachers move on...
Just memorise them, that's all it is, test yourself and get others to test you, then work on your speed.

Maybe your tutees need some kind of special help.
Reply 9
Thanks for the answers, everyone, pretty much confirmed what I suspected. Just need to knuckle down and get them learnt as well as the rest of the Foundation and Higher Tier curriculum now. :laugh:
Original post by German123
Maybe your tutees need some kind of special help.

You'd think but they are doing quite well in other subjects...they do get correct answers, they just haven't bothered to learn their times tables.
Reply 11
Original post by German123
Similar to my case but I have a GCSE in maths, how funny.

So you did the GCSE without times tables? How'd you find that?
Reply 12
Also, could someone please answer this? It's stressing me out to no end: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3701513.
Original post by Biryani007
You'd think but they are doing quite well in other subjects...they do get correct answers, they just haven't bothered to learn their times tables.

Cool.
So you did the GCSE without times tables? How'd you find that?

In all honesty,my grade shocked me.

I was predicted to fail. Lol.

I knew my times table, some of it.

The good parts of maths and the exam was factoring and simultaneous equation and factoring quadratic, th se difference of two squares
Use maths watch.

Also there are some good youtube videos.

Quick Reply

Latest