The Student Room Group

Personal statement help

My school deadline for sending personal statement is this Friday and the senior maths challenge test is at Thursday 5th. It will be impossible to get my result before my school internal deadline so I was just asking if it would be a waste if I add the senior maths challenge as pending in my personal statement.
Reply 1
Bump
No it wouldn't be pointless, add in that you're taking part, it shows your dedication, the result can then be talked about on an interview perhaps if you have one.
Reply 3
Original post by harinimnida
No it wouldn't be pointless, add in that you're taking part, it shows your dedication, the result can then be talked about on an interview perhaps if you have one.

Thanks
Unless you're applying for maths it's irrelevant.
Original post by alleycat393
Unless you're applying for maths it's irrelevant.

Or engineering, physics, economics or computer science.
Original post by PQ
Or engineering, physics, economics or computer science.

Really? I wouldn't have thought a maths challenge demonstrates much apart from an interest in math and the ability to do an exam well.
Really? I wouldn't have thought a maths challenge demonstrates much apart from an interest in math and the ability to do an exam well.

Which are vital for all of those degrees.

The maths challenge is more a test of problem solving ability in a mathematical context. It takes a good problem solving capability as well as mathematical ability to do well on it. Problem solving is essential in those other degrees PQ listed
Original post by PQ
Which are vital for all of those degrees.

An interest in math is vital for several other degrees and being able to do an exam well is vital for all formal education so the math challenge isn't really going to make or break an application.
Original post by Student403
The maths challenge is more a test of problem solving ability in a mathematical context. It takes a good problem solving capability as well as mathematical ability to do well on it. Problem solving is essential in those other degrees PQ listed

Sure but there are definitely other ways of showing problem solving ability so a math challenge isn't going to make or break an application. Mathematical ability is debatable because according to the website the challenge is designed for anyone who's done a GCSE in math.
Sure but there are definitely other ways of showing problem solving ability so a math challenge isn't going to make or break an application. Mathematical ability is debatable because according to the website the challenge is designed for anyone who's done a GCSE in math.

No one's claiming this will make/break his application. But I'm sure it does add something great to it. And because so many children in the UK take it, it's a good way of generally seeing where a candidate for (e.g.) a mathematics course might stand among others across the UK.

And while yes, anyone who's done GCSE maths can take the challenge and get a decent score, having an AS in maths/further maths makes it a lot easier because you can access different ways of solving the problems. As well as this, simply having taken AS m/fm can make you think in much broader terms than one would with just a GCSE in maths.

The senior challenge can also automatically qualify you for the first round of the British Mathematical Olympiad by merit, so is a great way to show prowess to the university
Original post by Student403
No one's claiming this will make/break his application. But I'm sure it does add something great to it. And because so many children in the UK take it, it's a good way of generally seeing where a candidate for (e.g.) a mathematics course might stand among others across the UK.

All I'm saying is that if the applicant is ready to submit their application but is worried about not being able to include the challenge results then they shouldn't be worried because the challenge isn't going to make or break their application. I can assure you that very few, if any, admissions tutors will have the time to look at where the candidate stands among others in the UK who have taken the challenge.

The very fact that so many people take it means that it isn't unique to the applicant.

As you say, having a GCSE, As or A level in the subject helps with the exam which means that the exam covers the syllabus taught at those levels so being able to do well on the challenge means that the applicant, like most others doing maths at GCSE, As and A level, has mathematical ability to that level + an ability to do this sort of exam well. Uni level work certainly isn't about being able to answer multiple choice questions in a short space of time.

Overall, unless the OP is applying for math I don't see the challenge as relevant to the application. If they're applying for another math related degree maybe have the referee mention it.
Enthusiasm for maths demonstrated by taking part in competitions of this nature are the sort of things admissions staff for CS, Engineering and Econ are looking for in a PS. This challenge isn't the only way that can be demonstrated but to state that it is irrelevant to any subject other than maths is to misunderstand what admissions staff in those other subjects are looking for in applicants.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2016/computer-science.pdf
Evidence of further mathematics / additional academic preparation andachievements;
Competitions, other mathematical or computer science-related activity;

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2016/civil-engineering.pdf
Appropriateness of chosen University course to declared interests and aspirations;

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/DegreeProgrammes2016/economics/overview_and_features.aspx#DynamicJumpMenuManager_1_Anchor_4
Your statement should provide evidence of being comfortable with both using and applying mathematics

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2016/physics.pdf
the admissions team looks for evidence in the personal statement that applicants "...." appreciate the importance ofmathematics in a physics degree, and explain why they want to pursue a degree in physics.

Original post by Mesosleepy
My school deadline for sending personal statement is this Friday and the senior maths challenge test is at Thursday 5th. It will be impossible to get my result before my school internal deadline so I was just asking if it would be a waste if I add the senior maths challenge as pending in my personal statement.

OP - ask your referee to send your application back to you after writing your reference so that you can make a final adjustment to your PS AFTER the results are available. Your school's internal deadline is there to allow them to write your reference in good time - you don't have to submit it until January if there are things you would like to include that aren't available just yet.
Reply 14
This is for computer science btw
I think I'm well aware of what admissions tutors are looking for given that I work alongside them, sit on committees and am part of the teaching team. Competitions are one way of showing interest in a subject but I'd hardly call a competition for anyone with a GCSE in math evidence of 'further' math abilities. Anyway, I don't want to argue anymore. I think we can agree to disagree because as I said before this is not going to make or break an application. Good luck OP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending