The Student Room Group

Im doing poor in Uni work. Is it ok to still keep going, or drop out?

Im studying Nutrition and Food at Uni. I started my degree in September.
I really liked this course when I chose it.
I still do like the contents of the course, learning about Macros, Proteins, Carbohydrates, healthy food choices, Omega 3 etc. But I seem to be struggling to revise, and get info into my head. I am also doing poor in my lab practicals :frown:
I feel like Im still going to keep going for the next 3 years.
But I just wanted some advice. Is it ok to still keep going, even though Im not doing well, or drop out, and be in less debt? However, Nutrition is still a personal interest of mine. Its just that Im not doing as good as I should, and Im doing poor.
Original post by Naveed-7
I still do like the contents of the course, learning about Macros, Proteins, Carbohydrates, healthy food choices, Omega 3 etc. But I seem to be struggling to revise, and get info into my head. I am also doing poor in my lab practicals :frown:
But I just wanted some advice. Is it ok to still keep going, even though Im not doing well, or drop out, and be in less debt? However, Nutrition is still a personal interest of mine. Its just that Im not doing as good as I should, and Im doing poor.

as its early days i wouldn't quit yet- instead I would go and talk to your tutors about how you can do better.
Why do you feel you are doing poor? important to look at the possible reasons, and get feedback on work.
Reply 3

Advise me on Anavar please.
Reply 4
Original post by PPF
Advise me on Anavar please.

I just googled it. Looks really interesting. I'll hopefully be looking further into it in the future. Thats if I succeed in my degree..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
as its early days i wouldn't quit yet- instead I would go and talk to your tutors about how you can do better.

Ok thanks
Reply 6
I just googled it. Looks really interesting. I'll hopefully be looking further into it in the future. Thats if I succeed in my degree..

Lol. Bro don't worry. I started off **** aswell. Ended up getting a strong 1st. Its all about hardwork and drive. If you want to succeed then nothing will stop you from doing so.
Keep going you'll be glad you stuck to it when you graduate. When your on xmas break have a rest and really think about what you want to do.
Talk to your personal tutor?
Reply 9
Define poor? All you need is 40% in year 1!

Many people do not have a consistent run of grades at uni. Some go down (like me, sadly, from 2.1 in Year 1 to Third in Year 3) while others go up!
I am exactly in the same boat, don't know what to do. Feel like i've rushed my decision of going to University, really could have done with a break from education and worked for a couple of years
Original post by Wimbs
Define poor? All you need is 40% in year 1!

Many people do not have a consistent run of grades at uni. Some go down (like me, sadly, from 2.1 in Year 1 to Third in Year 3) while others go up!

My revision skills are really poor. I don't know how to revise properly. I tried memorising and understanding my notes.

I had a Food Chemistry class exam last week. I got my results yesterday, and it was 2 marks out of 25.
My revision skills are really poor. I don't know how to revise properly. I tried memorising and understanding my notes.

I had a Food Chemistry class exam last week. I got my results yesterday, and it was 2 marks out of 25.

Maybe conventional revision strategies dont work well for you personally, try flashcards and past papers and other strategies which involve applying the knowledge rather than purely memorising it as it might help you get a better understanding that way.

Have you spoken to your tutor about exactly why you got those marks?

Is it a memory issue - i.e, you failed to answer at all, or answered the questions incorrectly, or is it that you know the answer but you're not giving enough information or understanding the questions?

I wouldn't give up - the first year is there to help you get all these issues ironed out and get used to how uni works. :h:
Original post by claireestelle
Maybe conventional revision strategies dont work well for you personally, try flashcards and past papers and other strategies which involve applying the knowledge rather than purely memorising it as it might help you get a better understanding that way.

Ok thanks.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Have you spoken to your tutor about exactly why you got those marks?

Is it a memory issue - i.e, you failed to answer at all, or answered the questions incorrectly, or is it that you know the answer but you're not giving enough information or understanding the questions?

I wouldn't give up - the first year is there to help you get all these issues ironed out and get used to how uni works. :h:

It was a memory issue. I just failed to answer the questions. I think I might need to hang around with the smart students in my class to help me, because I rarely do. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending