The Student Room Group

Can a religion ever truly die out?

Scroll to see replies

Everything will die except Allah's face.

And I don't care for the word 'religion' tbh.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
People are leaving religion more and more everyday so it's safe to assume that at some point religion itself will pretty much die out bar a few people.

Many of those people who say are leaving religion are just joining the modern, egalitarian religion. A change for the worst without doubt.
Original post by silverbolt
Excuse me? Yes they do matter to those who follow them.

They don't matter to anyone else though.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Many of those people who say are leaving religion are just joining the modern, egalitarian religion. A change for the worst without doubt.

Well, most are leaving it all together.
"A" religion, yes.

Religion itself, it is possibly but incredibly unlikely.
Well, most are leaving it all together.

No, they really aren't.
No, they really aren't.

Baseless assertion. There's plenty of statistics leading to the conclusion that more and more people are leaving religion in its entirety over time. You may claim that some are merely changing their religion but from the stats there's a clear trend in the rise of atheism, meaning overall most people leave it completely.

Here's a few:
http://tobingrant.religionnews.com/2014/08/01/five-signs-great-decline-religion-america-gallup-graphs-church/
http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/10/19/atheism-on-the-rise-in-ireland/
Baseless assertion. There's plenty of statistics leading to the conclusion that more and more people are leaving religion in its entirety over time. You may claim that some are merely changing their religion but from the stats there's a clear trend in the rise of atheism, meaning overall most people leave it completely.

Here's a few:
http://tobingrant.religionnews.com/2014/08/01/five-signs-great-decline-religion-america-gallup-graphs-church/
http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/10/19/atheism-on-the-rise-in-ireland/

As I have previously said: They are followers of the modern, egalitarian religion. They don't believe in a God in the sense that Christians or Muslims do but they have their own god of "equality".
As I have previously said: They are followers of the modern, egalitarian religion. They don't believe in a God in the sense that Christians or Muslims do but they have their own god of "equality".

You've yet to provide any evidence for that what so ever and that's because there is none. I honestly think you're making that up, what "egalitarian religion" are you talking about? I've never heard of it and I've never met or heard of anyone claim to follow such a thing.
An atheist is an atheist, they do not have any "god" in any sense of the term and all the stats show that the proportion of people that identify as atheists is on the rise. From mere common sense it follows that religion on average is "dieing out" and that's a fact, whether or not it will truly "die" completely is another matter.
You've yet to provide any evidence for that what so ever and that's because there is none. I honestly think you're making that up, what "egalitarian religion" are you talking about? I've never heard of it and I've never met or heard of anyone claim to follow such a thing.
An atheist is an atheist, they do not have any "god" in any sense of the term and all the stats show that the proportion of people that identify as atheists is on the rise. From mere common sense it follows that religion on average is "dieing out" and that's a fact, whether or not it will truly "die" completely is another matter.

You do know what egalitarianism is right? It's an article of faith. The religion has many branches such as communism, marxism, feminism, etc. It also has a number of saints like MLK or Mandela.
You do know what egalitarianism is right? It's an article of faith. The religion has many branches such as communism, marxism, feminism, etc. It also has a number of saints like MLK or Mandela.

How is this relevant? Are you going to provide any evidence that the increasing amount of people identifying themselves as atheists all class themselves as follows of this so called "egalitarian religion", despite the fact that the very definition of an atheist is someone who follows no religion? Because that's what this thread is about.
What do you mean by 'die out'? Vanish from all memory or that people stop practising it?
How is this relevant? Are you going to provide any evidence that the increasing amount of people identifying themselves as atheists all class themselves as follows of this so called "egalitarian religion", despite the fact that the very definition of an atheist is someone who follows no religion? Because that's what this thread is about.

That is not the definition of an atheist. An atheist is someone who believes uneqivicouly that a theistic god doesn't exist. Doesn't mean that they can't blindly follow their own religion as many do or that they can't have a leap of faith in their own god of the equality of human beings as many do.

Evidence? My evidence is the 20th century.
Original post by william walker
They have no power. They don't matter. That is the real question of this thread. Will religion still have power.

At one point the religion of Ancient Rome had more power than Christianity.
Original post by Lady Comstock
At one point the religion of Ancient Rome had more power than Christianity.

And?
Original post by william walker
And?

Does your logic only apply to now? So only the religions with power now can be considered under the OP's proposition? Why not those that had power centuries ago? They were still religions.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Does your logic only apply to now? So only the religions with power now can be considered under the OP's proposition? Why not those that had power centuries ago? They were still religions.

Indeed and they lost power, so were replaced. I was simply stating a fact. Wasn't really making a defined argument.
That is not the definition of an atheist. An atheist is someone who believes uneqivicouly that a theistic god doesn't exist. Doesn't mean that they can't blindly follow their own religion as many do or that they can't have a leap of faith in their own god of the equality of human beings as many do.

Evidence? My evidence is the 20th century.

You're really clinging on to technicalities here, the thread is about religion, not faith, the two are not the same. What "own religion" are you referring to? Egalitarianism is not a religion or a faith, I don't know why you keep bringing it up.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
I don't think that's quite the definition of an atheist.An atheist is unequivocal rejection of the existence of a God/s (or a supernatural being). However, an atheist may still adhere to the institution of a religion by following the rules without necessarily attributing it to God.Or, if taken on a larger scale, the common features of or stereotype of an atheist (liberal, secularist, human rights, democracy etc etc) cam manifest itself institutionally and into a homogeneous group, akin to a religion with structures and dogma.

Again, this is hardly what the is meant by "religion". What atheist is still following the rules of a religion? I think it's pretty safe to say that most people who identify themselves as atheist do so in that they have no train of thought of a religion in any way so the meaning can be extended to both rejection of god and religion.
Allah Akbar. Islam is infiltrating the west and the final jihad is occurring. The indigenous populations will be outbred and Muslims will be in power democratically. All of the infidels will finally get what's coming for them.
It is unknown; however we can recall from history that religion was pretty much the center of peoples lives. I.e you had to go to church on Sunday. Then as science got better and better it took a toll on religion as for example witchcraft was abolished because of the Royal science thingy (can't remember exactly what it is called.)

So maybe in the future when science and research becomes more absolute. People may look at religion like how we now look at witchcraft but who knows, bloody hell we could all be in a computer simulation controlled by other lifeforms that is just as justifiable as there being a god.

There is one thing for sure and that is there is no proof that there is a god or anything it is just something that people came up with for good and bad.

Quick Reply

Latest