The Student Room Group

Why are there so many gold diggers?

Scroll to see replies

Its interesting that the moment I cherish most in my life was getting a first at Oxford, because its the only achievement I can say was 100% down to me and not all the advantages I have been given by being born into a reasonably wealth family (which include my GCSEs + Alevels , getting into Oxford - all helped my private schooling, my flat - bought for me, my car - bought because my rent is being paid by my parents etc etc).
Original post by Mochassassin
Oh, I see. Yeah, you're right. My mum was married at a young age due to cultural expectations.
My thoughts exactly!

See I talk sense!!! I wish you'd convince the other girls on the forum of this :P
Original post by Awesome Genius
See I talk sense!!! I wish you'd convince the other girls on the forum of this :P

Haha, baby steps!
Although, you do come off a bit...uh...*notsurehowtowordwithoutoffending*...
Original post by Mochassassin
Haha, baby steps!
Although, you do come off a bit...uh...*notsurehowtowordwithoutoffending*...

awesome-genius-like
awesome-genius-like

Not the words I was looking for but if that helps you sleep at night. :wink:
lol, my brother's fiance is pretty loaded, has her own house in london and he's a filmmaker, living with her, who only gets paid if a project comes his way, his "salary" definitely pales in comparison.

should i warn my future pabi, or is she practising equality?

awesome genius u got me sooooo confoooooozed
Original post by prettyreckless13
How so?

my personal experiences

im punjabi

my sisters , both younger than me , both have

marry-a-rich-man syndrome

plus the girls i know socially, at parties and events, i just plain ignore them because they're all alarmingly superficial

maybe you're different :smile:
Original post by selfteaching
lol, my brother's fiance is pretty loaded, has her own house in london and he's a filmmaker, living with her, who only gets paid if a project comes his way, his "salary" definitely pales in comparison.

should i warn my future pabi, or is she practising equality?

awesome genius u got me sooooo confoooooozed

as i said...

If both people are out to get the best job they can, there is nothing wrong with that.

Its only an issue if your brother constantly goes on about how rich his finance is and how he's going to be maxing and relaxing once they're married....
as i said...

If both people are out to get the best job they can, there is nothing wrong with that.

Its only an issue if your brother constantly goes on about how rich his finance is and how he's going to be maxing and relaxing once they're married....

i only said it because your thread seemed to be targeted at females exclusively, i know he's not a gold digga, it does work both ways, maybe not as often- but less successful men marry wealthier women too : )

as for what you said about punjabis, i think asians in general have it drummed into them to give so much importance to money, the asian community is largely superficial on a whole, a perfect example of this is your typical £50-£80k wedding for an average middle class family. it's all show show show and what kind of guys are acceptable to the parents for the daughter? the highest earnings ones. i don't agree with it myself, but you can't only blame females, it's the whole society.
my personal experiences

im punjabi

my sisters , both younger than me , both have

marry-a-rich-man syndrome

plus the girls i know socially, at parties and events, i just plain ignore them because they're all alarmingly superficial

maybe you're different :smile:

I was only joking. I definitely don't have marry a rich man syndrome. Sorry to hear that your experiences have left you thinking most punjabi girls are golddiggers, lol.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
At least all that contemplation would be done by the side of the pool, as I drink gin and tonics while leering at the hunky pool boy. All before noon.

I'll probably come to a conclusion that there is no need to go anywhere, because I am already there. Provided of course that the pre-nup I signed was not overly disadvantageous to me, and that I actually save/channel away some of my husband's money for a rainy day.

lol
Original post by prettyreckless13
I was only joking. I definitely don't have marry a rich man syndrome. Sorry to hear that your experiences have left you thinking most punjabi girls are golddiggers, lol.

lol maybe i exaggerate. I think the kind of girls i am exposed to are probably not the most ambitious or gifted ones. Im trying very hard with my sisters to direct them down the right path!
lol maybe i exaggerate. I think the kind of girls i am exposed to are probably not the most ambitious or gifted ones. Im trying very hard with my sisters to direct them down the right path!

I think you've just had some bad luck with meeting girls who don't aspire to do anything with their lives. Never mind. Better luck next time.

And that sounds like a good idea.
so what? how is this different from men wanting to go out with beautiful women?
Original post by sherlockfan
so what? how is this different from men wanting to go out with beautiful women?

Nah thats different.

Evolution has said we should have partners that are roughly as good-looking as we are.

For a woman or man to say I want to find someone who is much richer than me to provide for me and do all the work, is just wrong.
I would have considered gold digging if I was a girl. Tbh, it would depend on how much I valued wanting a partner I truly loved. In any case, I totally see why someone would be a gold digger. It's essentially a free pass on life, and it's unfair to blame them for taking it.
Nah thats different.

Evolution has said we should have partners that are roughly as good-looking as we are.

For a woman or man to say I want to find someone who is much richer than me to provide for me and do all the work, is just wrong.

evolution says that females select a mate who is more likely to be able to provide for her and her child. that's nature, just as much as males wanting a female with better genes.
Original post by sherlockfan
evolution says that females select a mate who is more likely to be able to provide for her and her child. that's nature, just as much as males wanting a female with better genes.

This is totally at odds with feminism's view that men and women are equal.
This is totally at odds with feminism's view that men and women are equal.

I'm not talking about feminism though.
do a man and a woman's evolutionary differences mean that they shouldn't be equal in the law? of course not.
I'm just saying that this thread would be the equivalent of a woman saying 'why do all men want fit supermodels?'
(edited 8 years ago)
U calling ue pathetic? Bit harsh mate.

Quick Reply

Latest