The Student Room Group

will doctors be happy or sad the conservatives are in power?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Democracy
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/we-spoke-to-some-nhs-workers-about-how-theyre-feeling-this-morning-672

The med students above who voted Tory - do you bunk placement then? Winter beds crisis? Gutted social care leading to elderly patients "bed blocking" for way longer than they should do? Department closures and threatened closures? Not ringing any bells?

I'm placed at a big teaching hospital in London. Where staff are pleasant, happy and things seem pretty well run.

Also I was amazed and delighted at how proficient, decent and regular the mental health care (I did 12 weeks of this) was.

However I understand that this may not be the case in other parts of the UK.
Reply 21
Original post by Democracy
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/we-spoke-to-some-nhs-workers-about-how-theyre-feeling-this-morning-672

The med students above who voted Tory - do you bunk placement then? Winter beds crisis? Gutted social care leading to elderly patients "bed blocking" for way longer than they should do? Department closures and threatened closures? Not ringing any bells?

The state of the NHS and how able to it is to cope with pressure is directly linked to how well people are looked after in the community. Since the previous government and the one to come are committed to cutting services in the community to the bone, how exactly do you think that will impact on the NHS' ability to cope with these patients once they turn up in droves in A&E?

That article you linked to is a random collection of views from people with a left bias. You could easily find the same number of people who like the Tories' policies and voted for them in a hospital.
Indeed I have met a number of GPs on placement who were happier with the CCG arrangement and hospital doctors who think that the Tories are better for the economy which in turn will generate more income to be spent on the NHS.

What impact do you think the 7 day NHS will have?

PS: you're even more naive than I thought if you think that £8bn is an actual committment to front line services.

It's a better commitment that Labour's pledge no?
It's more likely that the Tories will be able to spend more on the NHS without borrowing.

You are desperately naive if you don't think wily politicians and our disgusting media cartel have ways and means of making things happen. 20 years ago if you told people that a university education would cost them £27000 minimum they'd think you were high. Lo and behold, it came to pass. Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public and the cynicism of politicians in manipulating them.

Withold money from the service, let it suffer, circulate lots of bad press about "scandals", watch the public become more disillusioned, then allow the private sector to step in. Always works.

You're right 'never' was probably too strong a word for me to use.
But you must be deluded if you genuinely think there will be a move to a US style system in the next 5 years.
The Lib Dems also got destroyed over that increase, what do you think would happen to the Tories if they properly privatised an integral institution like the NHS?
(The tuition fee hike did not really change anything tbh,so you can't really compare the two, people who say otherwise do not understand the repayment system and how it can actually benefit low earning graduates but this is a whole new can of worms)

To Ciaran,
Do you really think the climate in the NHS will change that significantly that under Cameron's next term? Would Miliband have made an overnight difference? That is a lot of hyperbole on your facebook feed.
I'm not a doctor and I haven't even started the clinical years yet but I am expecting hard work, long hours etc. and I wouldn't blame the Tories for this, there are plenty of old school consultants who trained decades ago who complain of the stuff that you are complaining of.
Ambivalent. I'm leaving this country upon completing the course and want to practice medicine elsewhere.
Reply 23
Some doctors are Tory Mps lol
Original post by anniejtmd
I am soon to start my health care degree where I will end up 'working' for the nhs. I don't know whether the turn back and do something else or not

Just plan your escape early.
All the doctors I know are tearing their hair out at how the health service is going to the dogs
Original post by the_second
Med student here-- I voted Tory.

Ahh, that must be because you haven't experienced the chaos of the A&E yet and the knowledge of how badly it had deteriorated in the last 5 years
Original post by Karolinska Medic
Ambivalent. I'm leaving this country upon completing the course and want to practice medicine elsewhere.

Interesting. Did you come to this country from elsewhere?

Are you paying full fees?
Called it.
Original post by balanced
Labour are, going off their history, the worst party for the NHS. Lets not forget who privatised the most shall we. Doctors have brains, and they vote tory

I am surprised you said that. After all, the NHS was implemented by a Labour government. I don't know if you remember the early 90's but it was famous for waiting lists. If you needed an operation and got it done on the NHS, you would be lucky if you had it done within 18 months. To Tony Blair's credit, shortly after he came in, this time was reduced to around 18 weeks and then even less. Since the Tories came into power, the waiting list time has been slowly increasing again.

I am not saying Labour are perfect, but I am yet to see any policy from the Tories that is making things better. They seem to like wholesale reorganisation for the sake of it without actually making anything better. The irony of privatisation is that it will create short term budget savings, but the contract will cost the government more in the long term. Just look at the railways. It is a short sighted policy.
Reply 30
Original post by ByEeek
I am surprised you said that. After all, the NHS was implemented by a Labour government. I don't know if you remember the early 90's but it was famous for waiting lists. If you needed an operation and got it done on the NHS, you would be lucky if you had it done within 18 months. To Tony Blair's credit, shortly after he came in, this time was reduced to around 18 weeks and then even less. Since the Tories came into power, the waiting list time has been slowly increasing again.

I am not saying Labour are perfect, but I am yet to see any policy from the Tories that is making things better. They seem to like wholesale reorganisation for the sake of it without actually making anything better. The irony of privatisation is that it will create short term budget savings, but the contract will cost the government more in the long term. Just look at the railways. It is a short sighted policy.

Yeah wasnt the NHS created by Clement Attlee?
Original post by Ciaran88
Called it.

About a month ago, I did a search for previous posts on the subject and your post came up.
Original post by xxvine
Yeah wasnt the NHS created by Clement Attlee?

The NHS report was commissioned by the Tories and wrote by a Liberal. Attlee was just lucky enough to be the one to take the credit and implement it but all governments in the war coalition had agreed to it.
Reply 33
Original post by Rakas21
The NHS report was commissioned by the Tories and wrote by a Liberal. Attlee was just lucky enough to be the one to take the credit and implement it but all governments in the war coalition had agreed to it.

so the tories created the nhs? hmmm lol and not attlee. Why did David Cameron say in the commons that Clement Attlee gave us the NHS?
Original post by xxvine
so the tories created the nhs? hmmm lol and not attlee. Why did David Cameron say in the commons that Clement Attlee gave us the NHS?

During the WW2 coalition government they'd clearly come to some kind of agreement that whoever won would create it. Hence the Conservatives commissioned the report with was wrote by Bevan and implemented by Attlee.

Happens all the time. Labour are on board with universal credits for example (or were pre-Corbyn).
Reply 35
Original post by Rakas21
During the WW2 coalition government they'd clearly come to some kind of agreement that whoever won would create it. Hence the Conservatives commissioned the report with was wrote by Bevan and implemented by Attlee.

Happens all the time. Labour are on board with universal credits for example (or were pre-Corbyn).

what political party do you support btw?
Original post by xxvine
what political party do you support btw?

I'm a Tory.

To the next question in your mind (probably) i do support the existence of a free and universal NHS however i consider it too fat (we don't need to provide transgender surgeries and hymen replacements ect..), don't like the 'give it a blank cheque' attitude that people have and would also say that for small stuff most working people should take out outpatient insurance to take the burden away from the NHS.
Original post by balanced
Labour are, going off their history, the worst party for the NHS. Lets not forget who privatised the most shall we. Doctors have brains, and they vote tory

5 years on, how do people feel?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending