The Student Room Group

I am split between Judaism and Christianity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scrappy-coco
But can you tell me when it was thought to have been written?

Posted from TSR Mobile

some were written around first century AD, although some are later works between 2nd and 4th century AD, but may have been based on oral tradition dating further back.
Original post by JeremyOU
some were written around first century AD, although some are later works between 2nd and 4th century AD, but may have been based on oral tradition dating further back.

Please be specific about the 'lost gospel' you were talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please be specific about the 'lost gospel' you were talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I cant be specific because there is more than one lost gospel, and they come in different versions not all of which are complete, but google gnostic gospels, there are few. (just keep off the Vatican website and the conspiracy nut websites if you value your sanity)
Original post by interact
You can't convert to Judaism, you're either Jewish or you're not

You have a choice between: Christianity, Buddhism and Islam. Islam would be the best imo but since you're not considering it, choose Christianity

You can convert to Judaism. The procedure changes based on denomination but it exists, just that Judaism doesn't support trying to convince people to convert. The process can be extremely strict traditional rabbinic Judaism requires a potential convert to be tested by three religious judges in a sort of religious court.
Original post by JeremyOU
I cant be specific because there is more than one lost gospel, and they come in different versions not all of which are complete, but google gnostic gospels, there are few. (just keep off the Vatican website and the conspiracy nut websites if you value your sanity)

No I was talking about the specific one you brought up which said Jesus was married and had kids.

I know of the gnostic gospels and they are all second century at the earliest.

Regarding the link you gave about the book 'Lost Gospel' which aims to show Jesus was married, I can't believe the British media bought into that sensationalist crap.

Heck even it being a 'discovery' is baloney:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6133118
Posted from TSR Mobile
No I was talking about the specific one you brought up which said Jesus was married and had kids.

I know of the gnostic gospels and they are all second century at the earliest.

Regarding the link you gave about the book 'Lost Gospel' which aims to show Jesus was married, I can't believe the British media bought into that sensationalist crap.

Heck even it being a 'discovery' is baloney:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6133118
Posted from TSR Mobile

I read this (oddly from the same news outlet as yours?)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/simcha-jacobovici/jesus-marriage-to-mary-th_b_6225826.html

Which is where the bizarre media comes in. It was ridiculous how they gave in to such sensationalism (Though I note that both where under 'blogs' which may help explain).

Ultimately I'll leave it open to you. The author is a film maker. Writing about New Testament history. There are over 300 articles and books on the manuscript in question within New Testament scholarship which you can check out - as I said the book is something to grab attention and make money. Not only is it as far from academic I doubt any educational institution will have it on their curriculum for New Testament scholarship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which is where the bizarre media comes in. It was ridiculous how they gave in to such sensationalism (Though I note that both where under 'blogs' which may help explain).

Ultimately I'll leave it open to you. The author is a film maker. Writing about New Testament history. There are over 300 articles and books on the manuscript in question within New Testament scholarship which you can check out - as I said the book is something to grab attention and make money. Not only is it as far from academic I doubt any educational institution will have it on their curriculum for New Testament scholarship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

totally agree on that one lmao:biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous1502
For a while I feel like something is missing I feel like I can't speak to God anymore I feel so lost.For a while, Judaism has been fascinating me I kind of want to convert however maybe I just want a new beginning I feel like I can no longer speak sincerely to God.I do not know what to do I was raised Catholic, but I don't want to be Catholic because many are homophobic and sexist (not all but some) also the news keeps making the catholic church look bad.I am against smoking and alcohol, but I don't want to be Muslim because it is not a religion that interests me.Am I coming to an age where I have lost my identity and maybe religion will help me find myself again?Should I just look for a different type of Christianity or do what? I don't know whether I believe or not I believe in Jesus, I never thought about it.I guess being raised Catholic I just accepted it and did not think about it.

Yet you want to convert to Yahdut (Judaism) which is a anti-gay religion as there is an explicit Issur (prohibition) of Mischav Zacar (homosexuality) for non- jews also. I am not trying to discourage you from Yahdut but be aware it's anti- gay like Catholicism for which many religious jews are anti-gay
Original post by Killuminati1989
If you choose Judaism, make sure you get the metzitzah b'peh performed. Its where the Rabbi sucks the circumcision scar

It's not halachially required
Original post by Matthew12

Yet you want to convert to Yahdut (Judaism) which is a anti-gay religion as there is an explicit Issur (prohibition) of Mischav Zacar (homosexuality) for non- jews also. I am not trying to discourage you from Yahdut but be aware it's anti- gay like Catholicism for which many religious jews are anti-gay

Reform Judaism?
You can't convert to Judaism, you're either Jewish or you're not

You have a choice between: Christianity, Buddhism and Islam. Islam would be the best imo but since you're not considering it, choose Christianity

Nonsense, you absolutely can convert to Judaism, and be recognised as Jewish as someone who was born Jewish. It's just a long process and takes time, numerous years. Please don't spout rubbish.
Original post by Anonymous1502
For a while I feel like something is missing I feel like I can't speak to God anymore I feel so lost.For a while, Judaism has been fascinating me I kind of want to convert however maybe I just want a new beginning I feel like I can no longer speak sincerely to God.I do not know what to do I was raised Catholic, but I don't want to be Catholic because many are homophobic and sexist (not all but some) also the news keeps making the catholic church look bad.I am against smoking and alcohol, but I don't want to be Muslim because it is not a religion that interests me.Am I coming to an age where I have lost my identity and maybe religion will help me find myself again?Should I just look for a different type of Christianity or do what? I don't know whether I believe or not I believe in Jesus, I never thought about it.I guess being raised Catholic I just accepted it and did not think about it.

Original post by Hydeman
The reasons in bold aren't good reasons for leaving a faith. You should leave only if you no longer believe in it rather than because you disapprove of what others who claim to practise it believe/do. There are probably homophobes and sexists in your neighbourhood too -- would you leave for that? I think not.

Muslims don't have anything against smoking tobacco. :tongue: Your criteria for choosing a religion seem to be flawed: convert to a religion you believe in, not one that simply 'interests' you. If you want a religion that interests you, you'll have a better chance at getting that if you simply create a new one to match your beliefs.

I suggest a period of agnosticism because it seems you're following Catholicism because of the way you were raised, not because you've actually given it any thought. There's no point confining yourself to Christianity if you've never taken the trouble to think about it before; be open-minded. :tongue:

As far as I am aware, when a young Catholic turns the age of 13, or any age after that period, they choose whether or not to undergo the journey towards their Confirmation. This is a decision entirely of their own volition, in which they decide whether they want to Confirm their acceptance of the beliefs and promises their parents made on their behalf during their Baptism and First Holy Communion. This next step can be taken at any age, and once it is completed the participant is deemed as an adult in the eyes of the Church. I find the process rather fascinating and have heard accounts of young people, adults and finally OAPs continuing this process side by side.

It seems like a coming of age, reflective moment in the life of young Catholics. But assuming OP has already completed this process then perhaps a brief spell away from any institution (as you have suggested), may do OP good.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Smithy-Smiths
As far as I am aware, when a young Catholic turns the age of 13, or any age after that period, they choose whether or not to undergo the journey towards their Confirmation. This is a decision entirely of their own volition, in which they decide whether they want to Confirm their acceptance of the beliefs and promises their parents made on their behalf during their Baptism and First Holy Communion. This next step can be taken at any age, and once it is completed the participant is deemed as an adult in the eyes of the Church. I find the process rather fascinating and have heard accounts of young people, adults and finally OAPs continuing this process side by side.

It seems like a coming of age, reflective moment in the life of young Catholics. But assuming OP has already completed this process then perhaps a brief spell away from any institution (as you have suggested), may do OP good.

I had only a Baptism and a first communion when I was 7 I only did it because I was told and did not understand it.I had not gone to Church for years so I have no completed that stage and I don't want to.
Original post by Matthew12

http://www.reformjudaism.org/practice/ask-rabbi/what-does-reform-judaism-say-about-homosexuality
Original post by simbasdragon
Nonsense, you absolutely can convert to Judaism, and be recognised as Jewish as someone who was born Jewish. It's just a long process and takes time, numerous years. Please don't spout rubbish.

rubbish, you're spouting rubbish. judaism is for jews, just like hinduism is for hindus.

God only sent 3 missionary religions, christianity, islam and buddhism, if people wanna be religious, then they can only pick from those 3

yeah, yeah they can say that they've converted to judaism but they'll just be fake jews
Original post by garfeeled
You can convert to Judaism. The procedure changes based on denomination but it exists, just that Judaism doesn't support trying to convince people to convert. The process can be extremely strict traditional rabbinic Judaism requires a potential convert to be tested by three religious judges in a sort of religious court.

yeah, you said this to me before but its still wrong
Reply 117
God only sent 3 missionary religions, christianity, islam and buddhism

Well he cocked up with the Buddha since Buddhism is a nontheistic religion.
Original post by Smithy-Smiths

Hate to burst the bubble but I'm a confirmation catechist (teacher/helper/leader) and every year only 1 or 2 students in a class of anything up to 42 young people are there of their own accord :frown:

Obviously RCIA is a different story :h:
Original post by Simes
Well he cocked up with the Buddha since Buddhism is a nontheistic religion.

in every theistic religion theres a personal and an impersonal God and buddhism is just based on the impersonal aspect of God, so no, he didnt cock up, silly simes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending