The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

The month I forced myself to sunbathe on holiday too to help boost my levels I released 2 eggs. :rolleyes: :biggrin: </anecdote>

Oh wow, maybe that is why I got pregnant first time lucky while on our holiday in Majorca then lol. I assumed it was because I was stress free as I spent most of the time sunbathing and reading a book.
Folic acid you should ideally be on 3 months before trying to conceive to optimise your body supplies.
(Some women have a certain genetic make up with MTHFR gene differences that means that they don't metabolise it so well from the diet which can be linked with problems conceiving/miscarriages/spina bifida and other foetal abnormalities and need higher than normal doses.)

All women trying to conceive and also while breastfeeding/year post partum are advised to take a vitamin D supplement.
There's some suggestions that deficiency can impair conception or contribute to miscarriages - the recurrent miscarriage clinic I was under advise 2,000 units a day (which is a more usual treatment of deficiency dose than the generic pregnancy advice) preconceptually for all women.

The month I forced myself to sunbathe on holiday too to help boost my levels I released 2 eggs. :rolleyes: :biggrin: </anecdote>

So, another scan today - still two heartbeats in there & measuring 2.5cm from crown to rump (top of head to bottom!) consistent with 9+3 dates.
This is bigger than both of the miscarriages that we'd seen heartbeats for at 8 weeks got to, so I'm really hoping that the medication cocktail is enhancing placental formation & things will continue to progress.... Next scan next Monday with private foetal DNA screening testing.

I've never found pregnacare palatable - but take a seven seas pregnancy vitamin (much smaller & contains iron) then an additional 7 folic acid tablets + 5 folic acid/vit D tablets (& the other steroids/aspirin/omega 3).

I am glad things are progressing well. Do they think they are dichorionic?
Original post by randdom
I am glad things are progressing well. Do they think they are dichorionic?

Thank you. 10/40 scan today & still both there doing well! :eek:

Yes - they called them as DCDA at the first scan & saw two CLs on the same ovary so very likely non-identical. The sacs have always been really close together though & today looks like placentas are fused.

Had foetal DNA chromosomal testing bloods today - though they don't report on the sex for multiples, damnit! & feel I do need to know this time round to try to feel more connected if things are progressing.

Next milestone official nuchal/12 week scan in just under 2 weeks...
*pathetic whine time*
Really wish I could have had a nice normal pregnancy without any problems... Had my 10th ultrasound scan today after having to go in for reduced movements (was in 2.5 weeks ago with the same) - baby previously was very nicely following 50th centile on all growth lines but femur length now fallen >2 weeks behind and fluid a bit low now as well. Due to see consultant on Tuesday and will be scanned again then to check on the fluid level again. Hoping everything's improved and can be back on track for section at 39 weeks but my luck hasn't exactly been going that way so far...
(stupid automatic anonymous thing)
*pathetic whine time*
Really wish I could have had a nice normal pregnancy without any problems... Had my 10th ultrasound scan today after having to go in for reduced movements (was in 2.5 weeks ago with the same) - baby previously was very nicely following 50th centile on all growth lines but femur length now fallen >2 weeks behind and fluid a bit low now as well. Due to see consultant on Tuesday and will be scanned again then to check on the fluid level again. Hoping everything's improved and can be back on track for section at 39 weeks but my luck hasn't exactly been going that way so far...
Original post by Hygeia
(stupid automatic anonymous thing)
*pathetic whine time*

That is tricky. How many weeks are you now?
Original post by randdom
That is tricky. How many weeks are you now?

32 weeks now, very definitely counting down! Just stopped doing my on calls after being told to take it a bit easier (had been holding on to them as long as I could but the weekend on call last week even though it was relatively quiet resulted in me basically being useless this week!)

The changes in growth and fluid are probably something small enough that the consultant won't be worried at all but I'd been holding on to the fact that despite all of my problems throughout, baby was clearly thriving and it's just made me a bit worried now that he isn't managing as well as I thought!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pregnancy is such a worry! Hope you get a plan on Tuesday, Hygeia.

So, had my official 12 week scan & the twins (hmm, first time I've really said/typed that... :love: ) seem to be doing OK - we might actually get 2 babies. :eek:

Although I am so bloated I look about 5 months & have horrible acne - so looking forward to reducing some of my medications... although am still vomitting - time off work has been a bit ridiculous so am convincing myself I should be feeling better and well enough to go back this week.
Anyhow probably time to self refer to NHS antenatal care and have a booking in appointment where I ask the midwife lots of questions they can't really answer..! :tongue:

So, had my official 12 week scan & the twins (hmm, first time I've really said/typed that... :love: ) seem to be doing OK - we might actually get 2 babies. :eek:

Although I am so bloated I look about 5 months & have horrible acne - so looking forward to reducing some of my medications... although am still vomitting - time off work has been a bit ridiculous so am convincing myself I should be feeling better and well enough to go back this week.
Anyhow probably time to self refer to NHS antenatal care and have a booking in appointment where I ask the midwife lots of questions they can't really answer..! :tongue:

I am so glad that things are progressing well :smile:

Fabulous news, I am so excited for you! Hope you manage to wean down the steroids a bit now, and have fun with the midwives. :wink:

I've started my first cycle of Clomid, just waiting for a scan on Wednesday to see if it's worked...
Fingers crossed for both anons!

Had my consultant review today. Fluid level back to normal (thankfully) so one less concern there, growth has slowed a bit from 50th centile to between 5th and 25th centiles but consultant is very happy with baby at the moment so reassured on that front.

Discussed c-section date today - aiming for 38 weeks (as he says, he'll push me to cope until the point we can do the section without needing steroid injections for baby). He has told me to look after myself better and seriously consider stopping work sooner/reducing hours drastically though. At the moment I'm finishing at 36 weeks (with 2 weeks annual leave so mat leave officially starts at 38 weeks). Anyone know if they can force me to take the mat leave early if I'm off sick with pregnancy related complications? Similarly, would I get paid less if I had a sick note to reduce my hours? The last thing I want is to be sat around getting bored pre-baby and having less time off with him after he arrives!
Original post by Hygeia
Fingers crossed for both anons!

Had my consultant review today. Fluid level back to normal (thankfully) so one less concern there, growth has slowed a bit from 50th centile to between 5th and 25th centiles but consultant is very happy with baby at the moment so reassured on that front.

Discussed c-section date today - aiming for 38 weeks (as he says, he'll push me to cope until the point we can do the section without needing steroid injections for baby). He has told me to look after myself better and seriously consider stopping work sooner/reducing hours drastically though. At the moment I'm finishing at 36 weeks (with 2 weeks annual leave so mat leave officially starts at 38 weeks). Anyone know if they can force me to take the mat leave early if I'm off sick with pregnancy related complications? Similarly, would I get paid less if I had a sick note to reduce my hours? The last thing I want is to be sat around getting bored pre-baby and having less time off with him after he arrives!

My understanding is that if you are on sick leave while pregnant they can get you to start maternity leave when you hit either 36 or 37 weeks but not before. I was signed off nights at 28 weeks and that didn't impact my pay, I am not sure if it it was all oncalls whether that might have an impact. I went off at 35 weeks and by that point I was ready to, I was doing A&E and not really coping with the workload (and that was in a pregnancy with few complications). I would listen to your body and if you are struggling consider going off earlier. I ended up being off for nearly 7 weeks before Isaac arrived (as he was nearly 2 weeks late). I think looking back on it even though that was frustrating I still wouldn't change it as I was so uncomfortable. 36 weeks seems like a reasonable aim but if you need to I would consider going off sooner.
Original post by randdom
My understanding is that if you are on sick leave while pregnant they can get you to start maternity leave when you hit either 36 or 37 weeks but not before. I was signed off nights at 28 weeks and that didn't impact my pay, I am not sure if it it was all oncalls whether that might have an impact. I went off at 35 weeks and by that point I was ready to, I was doing A&E and not really coping with the workload (and that was in a pregnancy with few complications). I would listen to your body and if you are struggling consider going off earlier. I ended up being off for nearly 7 weeks before Isaac arrived (as he was nearly 2 weeks late). I think looking back on it even though that was frustrating I still wouldn't change it as I was so uncomfortable. 36 weeks seems like a reasonable aim but if you need to I would consider going off sooner.

Thankyou. My GP has actually signed me off today until delivery so out of my hands now - have to admit though not there was a feeling of relief at not having to go in as I have been struggling and getting very little out of being in work when I am there at the moment! (At my anaesthetic review yesterday I was told at the end essentially to stop being stubborn and just stop working now rather than keep pushing myself which did really make me think). Baby should be here in 6 weeks at least so there's a finite time of boredom to survive (in the midst of buying a house with an aim for completion in a months time to keep me occupied!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hygeia
Thankyou. My GP has actually signed me off today until delivery so out of my hands now - have to admit though not there was a feeling of relief at not having to go in as I have been struggling and getting very little out of being in work when I am there at the moment! (At my anaesthetic review yesterday I was told at the end essentially to stop being stubborn and just stop working now rather than keep pushing myself which did really make me think). Baby should be here in 6 weeks at least so there's a finite time of boredom to survive (in the midst of buying a house with an aim for completion in a months time to keep me occupied!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can always start revising for the Primary! :wink:

Hope that the enforced rest is not too tedious for you, and that a bit less stress encourages the little one to keep on growing!
If you're off for pregnancy related illness in the 4 weeks before the baby is due (so this goes based on literal due date not early c-section date) then your maternity leave starts automatically, however if the baby comes early before you intended to start your leave (even if you are on holiday) maternity leave automatically starts the next day.

Anyway, just seen you are signed off now but thought I'd answer in case anyone else wanted to know.

Enjoy your rest pre-baby Hygeia. You'll be surprised how quick the days fly by as you'll be wanting to get ready for your baby's arrival :h:
Grr, I really should remember to untick the anon box. Wish admin would do something about this irritating function as it simply doesn't work on big threads like this where you may want to be anon one min and not the next.

If you're off for pregnancy related illness in the 4 weeks before the baby is due (so this goes based on literal due date not early c-section date) then your maternity leave starts automatically, however if the baby comes early before you intended to start your leave (even if you are on holiday) maternity leave automatically starts the next day.

Anyway, just seen you are signed off now but thought I'd answer in case anyone else wanted to know.

Enjoy your rest pre-baby Hygeia. You'll be surprised how quick the days fly by as you'll be wanting to get ready for your baby's arrival
Fun conversation idea - Comments or "advice" you really didn't want to hear in pregnancy or parenting. I'll start:

1. When I was pregnant and due any minute with my first baby anticipating a natural, drug-free birth:
Them: are you having twins? Me: no. Them: blimey, you're big aren't you! he's going to be a big'n.

2. I was crawling on the floor in agony when I was in labour, but don't worry, you'll be absolutely fiiiiiiine

3. You actually LET him sleep on you every nap *raises eyebrow*

4. It's your fault you have a velcro baby because you pick him up all the time

5. If you go running to him every time he cries you will make a rod for your own back

6. He'll choke if you do baby led weaning. They need purees because they don't have any bloody teeth!!

Would love to hear yours :h: go! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
The constant text messages asking me if I had any news when I was a week overdue... Yes I had the baby two weeks ago but just decided not to tell anyone... I will tell you when I want to tell you!
---
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by randdom
The constant text messages asking me if I had any news when I was a week overdue... Yes I had the baby two weeks ago but just decided not to tell anyone... I will tell you when I want to tell you!

I apologise for my stupidity :tongue: I think I was one of those lol.

Quick Reply

Latest