The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
It is funny that so many STEM snobs don't even know the difference between a social science and the humanities. Not so clever after all?

Coming over as offensive towards one group of people for merely not being aware of something gives negative idea about you rather than about those you are trying to offend. Could you please try to treat everyone with moderate respect?

Did the STEM folks do something else to you besides being ignorant regarding this issue?
And, could you please enlighten me, ignorant, not so clever highschooler in this issue? What is the difference between social science and humanities? What is social science anyway? How they do make repeatable experiments?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Emilia1320
Coming over as offensive towards one group of people for merely not being aware of something gives negative idea about you rather than about those you are trying to offend. Could you please try to treat everyone with moderate respect?

Did the STEM folks do something else to you besides being ignorant regarding this issue?
And, could you please enlighten me, ignorant, not so clever highschooler in this issue? What is the difference between social science and humanities? What is social science anyway? How they do make repeatable experiments?

I have not been offensive. I said it was funny because TSR is full of people who routinely call non-STEM students stupid and ridicule their choice of degree. This is not some obscure fact - knowing that economics and English are in different academic disciplines is pretty basic stuff.

As for the difference between the two, surely the clue is in the name? The social sciences use quantitative research methods (for example, a sociologist regularly uses statistics) - the humanities do not. There are of course other differences but I can't be bothered to write a long post. Google it if you're interested.
what do you mean by important? this could be interpreted so many different ways...
Reply 63
Original post by nverjvlev
what do you mean by important? this could be interpreted so many different ways...

How do *you* interpret it?

Philosophically.
Reply 64
Original post by NYU2012
This misunderstands philosophy entirely. You might learn about the things in "research methods" in e.g. History, but that's because History has taken that particular part of philosophy as important or necessary to its work.

Exactly what I am saying.

That's fine. I was just saying that to me that is the most important aspect of philosophy. All the rest of it - I don't think it's that important. Fun, sure, and interesting until the novelty wears off, but "important" - not IMO.

Philosophy isn't about skills, such skills are merely necessary to do philosophy. You're massively conflated the ability to do philosophy as just being metaphilosophy; which would be the same as claiming that the purpose of archaeology just is learning how to dig things up.

That's fine, no problem. Basically, I think that most of the things that Philosophy "is about" are not really important, therefore it is not the most important subject, that's it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Quite obviously, philosophy, practically by definition.
Original post by jneill
How do *you* interpret it?

Philosophically.

I would assume that the poster meant which is most important to society, in which case I would say art is. I know that many people don't consider it to be an intellectual or academic subject but in my opinion, that comes from a place of ignorance. For me, art teaches you to develop, explore and present your interpretation of the world, to form opinions and express them in a unique way. Through this we understand society and ourselves infinitely more. So often, the world tries to prescribe opinions, we find ourselves becoming defined by the majority rather than our individuality and I think that that is very dangerous.

I think art is also an important platform for effecting change in politics, social justice, music and more. To utilise this platform, people need to understand it.

Obviously I think that history, english and philosophy are all important but as an art student I'm probably biased :wink:
Original post by llys

That's fine, no problem. Then basically, I think that most of the things that Philosophy "is about" are not really important, therefore it is not the most important subject, that's it.

Hmm, what do you think philosophy is about? :beard:
Original post by llys

That's fine, no problem. Then basically, I think that most of the things that Philosophy "is about" are not really important, therefore it is not the most important subject, that's it.

Which things would they be then?
Original post by Quantex
Amazed that no one has mentioned philosophy yet. It's the umbrella subject that has its fingers in every pie including STEM subjects.

Totally agree. I'm applying for literature and languages, but hands down philosophy.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Quite obviously, philosophy, practically by definition.

that's not really an adequate explanation but I'm intrigued as to why you think philosophy is the most important? could you expand on that...
Reply 71
Which things would they be then?

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hmm, what do you think philosophy is about? :beard:

I was just told (and am unconcerned to be told so) that I don't know what philosophy "is about" - that's why I put it in quotation marks. :tongue:
Original post by llys
I was just told (and am unconcerned to be told so) that I don't know what philosophy "is about" - that's why I put it in quotation marks. :tongue:

If you're so unconcerned why don't you elaborate on what you think it is about then?
Original post by nverjvlev
that's not really an adequate explanation but I'm intrigued as to why you think philosophy is the most important? could you expand on that...

Because by definition, without philosophy all of the other subjects would make no sense and getting any sort of utility from them would be just impossible. Besides the subjects themselves only came about because philosophy in that area, preceded it. Philosophy was necessary to allow for psychology to exist. For biology to exist. For natural physics to exist. For everything. Philosophy concerns itself with logic which in turn is the basis of how in every single other discipline decides which claims it makes are true and which are false!

Philosophy teaches us how we ought to live our lives and behave through ethics, which again affects every single other discipline. It teaches us what is real and how we gain knowledge and what knowledge is. Which again affect how every other single discipline operates.

It's just massively all-encompassing and every other discipline hinges on it. But that's the point. That's what the term "philosophy" means as far as a subject is concerned. It is everything that we can know.

Ever studied any philosophy of art? Pretty sure a lot of it is fundamental to anyone who tries to make sense of any academic study of art. I mean, first thing first, before you do art, you must have a single, objective definition of art, no? You're already doing philosophy before you start!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74
If you're so unconcerned why don't you elaborate on what you think it is about then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy

And this bit is the only part of it that I personally consider "important" as per thread title (but no longer unique to philosophy):

As a method, philosophy is often distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its questioning, critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ubisoft
There's no such thing as an important arts subject. They're all hobbies at best.

True, arts are pretty useless, but I think language skills are needed, so I'd say languages (if I can't say economics) to the extend that communication is possible. Of course it would be easier if everyone just spoke same language, but as someone whose first language is not English I think out of humanities classes English has been very useful to me, and other humanities classes have been entirely useless. If I hadn't taken those English classes domain of study materials (to all subjects) avilabe for me would be quite limited, and I couldnt study my high school (IB) degree in English.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 76
So we've clearly established Philosophy is the most important arts/humanities subject.

In the same way we know Mathematics is the most important science.

:popout:
Original post by jneill
So we've clearly established Philosophy is the most important arts/humanities subject.

I was going to bring this point up but I was too scared :ninja:

Relevant XKCD
Original post by jneill

Mathematics is not a science :tongue:
Reply 79
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I was going to bring this point up but I was too scared :ninja:

Relevant XKCD

So which is more important? Philosophy or Mathematics.

There's only one way to find out...

:fight:

http://www.googlefight.co.uk/philosophy-vs-mathematics.php

Latest

Trending

Trending