The Student Room Group

Anyone else get really bored of chicken?

I feel I've had enough to last me for life, don't ever want to buy it now. Most ready meals, especially curries(Lamb Rogan Josh aside) are all chicken all the time, if you want to eat meat. I buy pork instead now. Anyway, yeah that's all. We need more variety.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I feel I've had enough to last me for life, don't ever want to buy it now. Most ready meals, especially curries(Lamb Rogan Josh aside) are all chicken all the time, if you want to eat meat. I buy pork instead now. Anyway, yeah that's all. We need more variety.

Maybe try chicken that isn't part of a ready meal? That's probably why you dislike it
Original post by TajwarC
Maybe try chicken that isn't part of a ready meal? That's probably why you dislike it

No,I can get really good quality, and have used it in a lot of recipes(paella etc), but my body just says no, now, I'm so bored of it it's l ike I can't eat it anymore. I'll always go for fish or pork.
Reply 3
I agree with the thread title.
The rest... Not that I don't agree. I'm on about chicken in general.

The only meat I've eaten the past week besides chicken is sausage (beef ones I think) but that was only once last week :frown:.
Chicken is amazing but that appetite tho :s-smilie:
I think ready meals make anything disgusting if you have them often enough. Do take a break from chicken but make sure you're trying all diff types of meat & ofc go veggie sometimes :biggrin:
Pork is definitely better in a curry, pork or beef.

Original post by TajwarC

This also, lol at getting bored of chicken.
I try and eat meat other than chicken 2-3 times a week and the rest chicken coz it's cheaper. My non-chicken meat does really well in my slow cooker coming out tender and juicy. Fish is great in pies or steamed or maybe even a seafood Thai curry.
I get bored of chicken when its made at home for meals but then I just make something different. The cook in the bag sachets in shops make the chicken really juicy which makes it so much better. But KFC chicken will never get boring to me :lol:
I'm Jamaican and I know how you feel about chicken overkill especially the unnatural tasting saline-salt-pumped chicken meat we buy in establishments like KFC, it makes all chicken taste the same. Curry mutton is my favourite now.
Such a wealthy country as UK should have greater variety of meats.
Reply 9
make something like a chicken stir fry, gordom ramsay did a really good guide for egg fried noodles with chicken, I made it myself and it was sOOOOOOOOOOOO nice
Reply 10
You buy ready meals? Wow. I didn't think anyone was that daft.
Original post by JC.
You buy ready meals? Wow. I didn't think anyone was that daft.

Oh alright haughty., it may be so beneath you. I don't home cure smoked salmon every night. Most people eat them when they don't have time, some of them are really good. Just want more meat range.

But more generally, I said to the other poster, I do make fresh good quality chicken, unprocessed, from scratch- so it's not the ready meals thing. Dunno why it so beyond the bounds of imagination I could not like it. Just my brain hit a moment where it said, 'no more'.

Wow, I'm quite worked up about this...
Reply 12
Oh alright haughty., it may be so beneath you. I don't home cure smoked salmon every night. Most people eat them when they don't have time, some of them are really good. Just want more meat range.

But more generally, I said to the other poster, I do make fresh good quality chicken, unprocessed, from scratch- so it's not the ready meals thing. Dunno why it so beyond the bounds of imagination I could not like it. Just my brain hit a moment where it said, 'no more'.

Wow, I'm quite worked up about this...

No time? Get off. Folk who claim they have "no time" are full of ****. Nobody works flat out to the point they only have "time" to wait for a microwave to go ding.

Need something quick? cook an omlette or a stirfry.
Original post by JC.
No time? Get off. Folk who claim they have "no time" are full of ****. Nobody works flat out to the point they only have "time" to wait for a microwave to go ding.

Need something quick? cook an omlette or a stirfry.

Lol, you are a very pompous. I've never met someone who would be so snobby and outraged by the occasional usage of ready meals. Virtually everyone I've ever known has used them, my parents not often admittedly. And anyway, I only said when I buy them, regarding the chicken, not that I use them all the time. Just weird .
Reply 14
Lol, you are a very pompous. I've never met someone who would be so snobby and outraged by the occasional usage of ready meals. Virtually everyone I've ever known has used them, my parents not often admittedly. And anyway, I only said when I buy them, regarding the chicken, not that I use them all the time. Just weird .

If you say so... I just refuse to eat processed junk.
There's no good reason not to use fresh ingredients every day.
If you want to eat crap AND get ripped off in the process, then you rock on.
Reply 15
Why do you eat exclusively one type of meat? Alternate between a variety and you'll be fine.
Reply 16
Depends how you cook it. High quality chicken breast can be great, I usually butterfly mine. Great when cooked with ginger/garlic in a stir fry. Or seasoned with sea salt/crushed black peppercorn or a jerk rub etc.

Chicken Thighs taste better (boneless) because of higher fat content, they're also cheaper by the gram. I use these when making a curry or carribbean style food.
Original post by JD1lla
Depends how you cook it. High quality chicken breast can be great, I usually butterfly mine. Great when cooked with ginger/garlic in a stir fry. Or seasoned with sea salt/crushed black peppercorn or a jerk rub etc.

Chicken Thighs taste better (boneless) because of higher fat content, they're also cheaper by the gram. I use these when making a curry or carribbean style food.

I dont know, although chicken thighs are cheaper, I think they have a stronger taste (in a negative way). But it's not significant enough to make a difference I think.
Roasted whole chicken - Butter, mixed herbs, finely chopped garlic (can ground it if you use a knife and some salt and crush it to a paste) and lemon juice, mix that **** together and get it under the chicken skin, use a fork or knife to poke or stab holes in the meat so this mixture absorbs into it as it cooks. Melt some more butter and mix with herbs and put on the skin, cover with foil then take the foil off for the last 20 mins and put more butter on top, so the skin is nice and crispy. Roast the chicken for about 1 hour before you do that btw.

Use the juices in the roasting dish for a gravy (juices, Lea & Perrins, onions, granules).

This is like crack cocaine, you simply cannot get bored of this.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Roasted whole chicken - Butter, mixed herbs, finely chopped garlic (can ground it if you use a knife and some salt and crush it to a paste) and lemon juice, mix that **** together and get it under the chicken skin, use a fork or knife to poke or stab holes in the meat so this mixture absorbs into it as it cooks. Melt some more butter and mix with herbs and put on the skin, cover with foil then take the foil off for the last 20 mins and put more butter on top, so the skin is nice and crispy. Roast the chicken for about 1 hour before you do that btw.

Use the juices in the roasting dish for a gravy (juices, Lea & Perrins, onions, granules).

This is like crack cocaine, you simply cannot get bored of this.

Haha this is pretty much exactly what I do. When I'm too lazy to cook it though a few supermarkets do a good variant to this

Quick Reply

Latest