The Student Room Group

Sick of looking like a child!

I am 23 years old. A grown mature woman! But the downsides are:

I have round chubby cheeks and baby blue eyes
I am only 4'11'' so I am small!
My hair is so thin so I can't do anything with it
I wear teenager glasses. The only ones that suit me are the Bench. brand as I can pass them off as adult glasses. I cannot wear adult ones as the frames are too big for my face.

I wear make up and grown up clothes. I go to university! But at work everyone always asks me shouldn't I be 18 before I start work and I am like.. I'm 23! Then they go oh sorry I honestly thought you was only 16. That's 7 bloody years difference! Please can someone give me tips :sigh:. It really gets me down because nobody takes me serious enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Butterfly92xo
I am 23 years old. A grown mature woman! But the downsides are:

I have round chubby cheeks and baby blue eyes
I am only 4'11'' so I am small!
My hair is so thin so I can't do anything with it
I wear teenager glasses. The only ones that suit me are the Bench. brand as I can pass them off as adult glasses. I cannot wear adult ones as the frames are too big for my face.

I wear make up and grown up clothes. I go to university! But at work everyone always asks me shouldn't I be 18 before I start work and I am like.. I'm 23! Then they go oh sorry I honestly thought you was only 16. That's 7 bloody years difference! Please can someone give me tips :sigh:. It really gets me down because nobody takes me serious enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically story of my life! I'm sorry to know it gets you down. I'm actually trying to get used to mine as i have not many choices around here. (in my country women are supposed to look curvy, thick and stuff like that) but i'm 21 and not any of those so i'm mostly mistaken for a 12 year old. :sad:
It's actually pretty sad.
My little sister is 16 but she's always been assumed the older one because she's thick and it often irritates me esp as she kind of enjoys it & never even bothers to correct them. :banghead:

I'm thinking of getting a make-over soon (in London). Hopefully that helps! I can't wait to leave this discrimination hell hole of a country! :unimpressed:

Try a makeover maybe? Might give you an older look
(edited 8 years ago)
If you feel as though your height plays a part in people thinking you're younger than you are, you can try wearing heels?
I'm not sure if this will help, but have you considered contact lenses?
Original post by jSchmidt21
Basically story of my life! I'm sorry to know it gets you down. I'm actually trying to get used to mine as i have not many choices around here. (in my country women are supposed to look curvy, thick and stuff like that) but i'm 21 and not any of those so i'm mostly mistaken for a 12 year old. :sad:
It's actually pretty sad.
My little sister is 16 but she's always been assumed the older one and it often irritates me esp as she kind of enjoys it & never even bothers to correct them. :banghead:

I'm thinking of getting a make-over soon (in London). Hopefully that helps! I can't wait to leave this discrimination hell hole of a country! :unimpressed:

What country is this?
Original post by prettyreckless13
What country is this?

Ghana
Do you wear make up? I find it makes me look a little older. I have similar cheeks to you but it doesn't seem as bad for me
Original post by prettyreckless13
If you feel as though your height plays a part in people thinking you're younger than you are, you can try wearing heels?
I'm not sure if this will help, but have you considered contact lenses?

I've tried contacts but my eyes are so sensitive to anything going near them so I don't wear them! Even putting eye makeup on is a challenge :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, I'm 16 and have been asked if I'm in Year 7 - I'm just like 'Bitch Please'
Its better than looking too old. When you get to around 40 you will be happy to look younger. I'm 16 and look 12 apparently but Im happy because when everyone wants to look younger I will be fine.
(edited 8 years ago)
I noticed that when I wear winged eyeliner and dark lips I look more mature. Also sleek, sophisticated clothing (monochrome instead of ditzy prints) can make you look older.
Original post by Sempiternitas
I noticed that when I wear winged eyeliner and dark lips I look more mature. Also sleek, sophisticated clothing (monochrome instead of ditzy prints) can make you look older.

That's a good idea! I think I do like the thought of dark lipstick :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am in the same boat! I'm 20 going to be 21 soon and kept getting mistaken for a 15 year old! But recently, I'm finally getting mistaken for a 17-19 year old which isn't as bad. I'm also really small and obviously wearing heels everyday is really not practical but you could try wearing wedges like those hidden wedge in high tops as they are surprisingly comfortable. I also found that contouring my cheeks works in getting rid of my annoying baby face. I agree with the dark lipstick as well. And I've just cut my hair short (it's naturally curly so when it's long I look very young and got fed up of ruining my curls by straightening them) into an almost bob but it's slightly longer at the front which frames my face and has made me look a lot older. Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest