The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can you believe he almost left in the summer?

By far our most underrated player.
Original post by Lúcio
Can you believe he almost left in the summer?

By far our most underrated player.

Has happened almost every summer since Rafa left.

Let's hope he doesn't get injured since he's doing a great job shielding the defence at the moment. No one else in our squad comes close to him in terms of being a DM.
Lucas is one yellow from being suspended, so I'm worried that he'll grab another yellow in the Palace game and we will miss him for the City game.
Original post by samir12
Lucas is one yellow from being suspended, so I'm worried that he'll grab another yellow in the Palace game and we will miss him for the City game.

I was impressed that Klopp didn't hook Lucas off after that foul where it looked like he could get a second yellow card. I think he played for another 25 mins after that?
Original post by Zerforax
I was impressed that Klopp didn't hook Lucas off after that foul where it looked like he could get a second yellow card. I think he played for another 25 mins after that?

I was surprised he didn't bring Allen on but also impressed at how ballsy that was. Klopp knows how important Lucas is and he didn't wanna get complacent even though things were looking good in the game.

I did notice after the potential second yellow fiasco that Lucas got much smarter about things - still doing his job but not going in for risky tackles that would've surely given him a sending off.

All in all, as the poster above said we cannot afford to miss him in the City game because their midfield would just dominate ours. Even with him in it isn't much of a contest.
Original post by Lúcio
I was surprised he didn't bring Allen on but also impressed at how ballsy that was. Klopp knows how important Lucas is and he didn't wanna get complacent even though things were looking good in the game.

I did notice after the potential second yellow fiasco that Lucas got much smarter about things - still doing his job but not going in for risky tackles that would've surely given him a sending off.

All in all, as the poster above said we cannot afford to miss him in the City game because their midfield would just dominate ours. Even with him in it isn't much of a contest.

Already shows how much Klopp trusts certain players.

Yea Lucas is a bright player and knows where the line is. I think it's only 2 red cards in his career so far.

Well I'd be surprised if he didn't get a yellow card against Crystal Palace..
Already shows how much Klopp trusts certain players.

Yea Lucas is a bright player and knows where the line is. I think it's only 2 red cards in his career so far.

Well I'd be surprised if he didn't get a yellow card against Crystal Palace..

I know it sound silly but if I were Klopp I'd play Allen against palace.
If he gets a yellow we're screwed against City.
Original post by Lúcio
I know it sound silly but if I were Klopp I'd play Allen against palace.
If he gets a yellow we're screwed against City.

We're probably going to lose against Man City away from home with or without Lucas. Main thing is to win 3 points at a time and then deal with what we have before the next game.

We could rest Lucas against Palace and then lose him to injury in training before the Man City game. You can't guess what will happen at any given time.

Lucas is a very intelligent player and he knows he's close to triggering a ban. I think Milner is already banned for the C.Palace game so he will probably start on Thursday.
We're probably going to lose against Man City away from home with or without Lucas. Main thing is to win 3 points at a time and then deal with what we have before the next game.

We could rest Lucas against Palace and then lose him to injury in training before the Man City game. You can't guess what will happen at any given time.

Lucas is a very intelligent player and he knows he's close to triggering a ban. I think Milner is already banned for the C.Palace game so he will probably start on Thursday.

Yeah I suppose that's true.

We SHOULD be getting 3 points against palace, but we aren't expected to get anything from City.
Therefore as odd as it sounds, the Palace match is more important for us really
Original post by Lúcio
Yeah I suppose that's true.

We SHOULD be getting 3 points against palace, but we aren't expected to get anything from City.
Therefore as odd as it sounds, the Palace match is more important for us really

I guess Man City isn't where I'm looking at the moment? I'd be thrilled with finishing anywhere in the top 4 this season. I didn't expect it before but now I have some hope.

Anyone else following the APLT on Rawk? Makes for some interesting reading - basically factors in some level of difficulty against points being dropped. Bizarrely even though Spurs are 3 points ahead of us in the normal table, they are 5 points behind us in the APLT. Effectively Liverpool have played much tougher games compared to Spurs so far. Be interesting to see how both fare going forward over the next 10 games or so.
Reply 1411

Think Milner served his ban against Bournemouth IIRC
Original post by kuks
Think Milner served his ban against Bournemouth IIRC

Yep my mistake. I thought he got his 5th card against Chelsea for some reason.
Allen impressed me quietly against Bournemouth to be honest. He seemed to mentor Teixeira and Brannagan through the game, giving them reason to be confident. He broke up play well, kept possession tidily. He has managed to perform well against Palace in the past, too. It wouldn't be the worst game to start him in, to be honest.

I personally prefer Can away from home. I think his swashbuckling nature is much more suited to games away from Anfield.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-team-news-christian-10384094

Klopp takes his strongest squad to Russia.

Also Klopp has said that Gerrard can train at Liverpool in the MLS off-season.
That's a very strong squad. Unsure whether that will have negative repercussions for the Palace match. We may have to wait and see.

The Gerrard thing massively divides me. I want him back in some capacity eventually, but not as a player. He shouldn't pull on a Reds shirt again, mainly because we've endured the five-month long goodbye of last season and that chapter has been closed.

As a coach, I'd be comfortable with him returning. It would be a Giggs under LVG dynamic, and Klopp is a stronger personality so you'd imagine even if we did endure a bad run, he could weather the storm and fans wouldn't be clamouring for Gerrard to take the hot seat.

If Rodgers was still in charge, they'd pine for him to take over.
I don't mind Gerrard coming back to only train and help out the club and academy. I definitely don't want him to come back and play, he'd be a massive hindrance especially under Klopp's style of play. I think there's a quote where he said he doesn't plan on coming back to play again for the club. It'd be great for the younger guys to train with Gerrard and in general learn from him.
Original post by The.Joker
I don't mind Gerrard coming back to only train and help out the club and academy. I definitely don't want him to come back and play, he'd be a massive hindrance especially under Klopp's style of play. I think there's a quote where he said he doesn't plan on coming back to play again for the club. It'd be great for the younger guys to train with Gerrard and in general learn from him.

No way he'll ever come back to play, especially now that Klopp is managing. He couldn't be further from the kind of player Klopp needs in his sides so that'll never happen.

Gerrard being part of the staff on the other hand would be massive and it'd definitely help the players to have such an influential legend at the club watching over them.

I'm also very impressed that Klopp is taking the EL seriously. People may moan that he's taken a squad that could hinder us against palace but I say that we should just take games one at a time. We've drawn 3 games in the EL and Klopp understands that we simply cannot afford to lose this game. Fair play to him for having balls.
Gerrard said next season may be the last time he plays (MLS season runs from January to November).

I can't see Klopp trying to sign him on loan and it would only be for a handful of games.

That said, we do miss his set-pieces :colondollar:

Hmm going to miss the game tomorrow since going to the cinema to watch Spectre.
Original post by Lúcio
No way he'll ever come back to play, especially now that Klopp is managing. He couldn't be further from the kind of player Klopp needs in his sides so that'll never happen.

Gerrard being part of the staff on the other hand would be massive and it'd definitely help the players to have such an influential legend at the club watching over them.

I'm also very impressed that Klopp is taking the EL seriously. People may moan that he's taken a squad that could hinder us against palace but I say that we should just take games one at a time. We've drawn 3 games in the EL and Klopp understands that we simply cannot afford to lose this game. Fair play to him for having balls.

I feel so much calmer about the EL with Klopp in charge. When we had BR I never felt confident about being able to win and progressing to the latter stages. Plus in most of our EL games we rarely won decisively and could barely see the game out.

I'd love it if we won the EL this season, it'd be good in the long term so we can bump our UEFA coefficient up. Currently we are 54th. :/

Latest