The Student Room Group

I am a Feminist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iAre Teh Lejend

Likewise with Men. Most women expect the male to be the main support for the family in terms of finance. I think this is perfectly normal for women to think this.

It's "normal" as far as our historical social structure has allowed it to be. Personally, I think all gender roles should be eradicated. Amusingly, that thought seems to piss off both feminists and traditionalists. Can't win sometimes.
I support the campaign for equal rights for both sexes. Men and women should be respected equally, and both given the opportunities they deserve. Women should be paid equally as well as men under the same vocation. Women should not be objectified. Women deserve the rights to voice their opinions.

The list goes on:
Co-educative schools, same content of classes for girls and boys, same qualification for men and women is important.

For women, career is just as important as for men; equal professional opportunities for men and women are important.

Neither partner should dominate; solutions do not always follow the principle of finding a concerted decision; status quo is maintained if disagreement occurs.

However, men and women are different in many ways aside from the obvious, and women and men have gender roles that they should appreciate. Radical feminism completely trashes the thought of gender roles.

For example you can't expect a man to be as able as woman when it comes to caring for a newborn? I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying it's stupid to campaign for childcare of newborns to be of equal responsibility for both parents. Women are biologically and psychologically more able in these circumstances. But if the partners decide among themselves to share the responsibilities, then so be it, but it isn't something that should be expected from the outset or campaigned about. Similarly with housework. Most men want their partner to take care of the majority of housework, does it mean these men are against equal rights? Of course not! If the man is happy to help equally, then so be it, if the women wants the man to help equally, this should be understood from the outset.

Likewise with Men. Most women expect the male to be the main support for the family in terms of finance. I think this is perfectly normal for women to think this. But this doesn't mean the men should disagree with females wanting to be independent, and frown upon them wanting to work for themselves, because that is wrong.

What I'm trying to say is, there are gender roles that must be appreciated, that shouldn't interfere with what equality is. Radical feminists do not appreciate gender roles whatsoever. As a Male, I would not expect my partner to want me to offer full nursing care for a newborn, I wouldn't know where to start, but if she wants me to help, I'll try. And, I wouldn't expect my partner to take care of finances either, but if she wants to contribute, that's fine by me !

TL;DR - Equality is important. Male supremacy should be eradicated and likewise with radical feminism

If women have the same educational and employment and earnings opportunity which you advocate, then why is it reasonable for men to be the bread winner?

Woman are more suited to nursing a baby both psychologically and physically?

Bull****. Apart from breastfeeding which isnt necessary this is utter tosh
(edited 8 years ago)
I agree with you OP.

Original post by harinimnida
You're not a feminist, you're an Egalitarian~!

They are not mutually exclusive concepts.

And egalitarianism is too nebulous and vague a concept - feminism is a more effective and accurate label for supporting the equality of the sexes (against the backdrop of this not yet being manifested in society).
Original post by AH127
Which part confuses you?

What did you mean by the male supremacy part? I ripped you and the realised what I rapped. Deary me...
Reply 24
Can you give me an example of this so called "male supremacy" you speak of?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'm not a feminist, I'm just anticipating that sooner or later someone will come up with that reply.

I was playing along :frown:
Feminism has become a toxic movement of internet censorship and #killallmen being seen by other feminists as acceptable. Women who feel they are higher than men and think less of men in a movement which is supposed to stop sexism without realising the feminist movement is sexist towards men. Men are still the largest combat deaths, and likely to lose custody of their children as court will favour the mother, along with women getting more lenient sentences for committing the same crime as a man.

Not only this, third wave feminism focuses on how being catcalled is sexual assault in their eyes. There are girls in some countries killed for getting an education, still being sold off, yet modern western feminism is doing nothing to provide equal rights for the women who need it.

Egalitarianism not feminism!

Meanwhile in the most feminist of countries in Viking land I would get a hell of a lot more guaranteed paternity leave.

Even if we must distinguish gender egalitarianism and feminism there is still a lot of overlap and feminism should not be the enemy of egalitarianism....
(edited 8 years ago)
you seem to be more of an egalitarian
What's with all these avatars showing people kissing?

Some morbid trend on TSR, I guess...
Feminism has become a toxic movement of internet censorship and #killallmen being seen by other feminists as acceptable. Women who feel they are higher than men and think less of men in a movement which is supposed to stop sexism without realising the feminist movement is sexist towards men. Men are still the largest combat deaths, and likely to lose custody of their children as court will favour the mother, along with women getting more lenient sentences for committing the same crime as a man.

Not only this, third wave feminism focuses on how being catcalled is sexual assault in their eyes. There are girls in some countries killed for getting an education, still being sold off, yet modern western feminism is doing nothing to provide equal rights for the women who need it.

incoherent rant mode: enabled

:rolleyes:
Reply 30
Do you agree with male supremacy ?

I don't think males are superior to females, so I don't see why "Male Supremacy" would be something worth mentioning.

Original post by Betelgeuse-
If women have the same educational and employment and earnings opportunity which you advocate, then why is it reasonable for men to be the bread winner?

Woman are more suited to nursing a baby both psychological and physically?

Bull****. Apart from breastfeeding which isnt necessary this is utter tosh

It's a simple division of labour carried down from tribal times. The physically stronger male will go out and hunt while the mother stays at home and cares for the children, an equally vital job. That's where I suspect it comes from, anyway.

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
What did you mean by the male supremacy part? I ripped you and the realised what I rapped. Deary me...

I agree with everything in the original post bar the mention of "Male supremacy", which I have explained above.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
What's with all these avatars showing people kissing?

Some morbid trend on TSR, I guess...

How is that relevant to this thread? :confused:

Because bastions of MRA like TheRedPill are havens for rational discussion and not hotbeds of toxic misogyny and pseudoscience in the slightest, are they?
Original post by AH127
I don't think males are superior to females, so I don't see why "Male Supremacy" would be something worth mentioning.

It's a simple division of labour carried down from tribal times. The physically stronger male will go out and hunt while the mother stays at home and cares for the children, an equally vital job. That's where I suspect it comes from, anyway.

I agree with everything in the original post bar the mention of "Male supremacy", which I have explained above.

Yes i know what traditional gender roles entail and understand their purpose. Men dont need to go out to hunt anymore, they go down to asda
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
Women should not be objectified.

Why? :confused:
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
How is that relevant to this thread? :confused:

Scrolling down the first page of responses. I was going to add my input when I noticed this. Just curious really.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
It was going so good...then it went so bad...:redface:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Agree completely!

EDIT: it annoys me that I can't rep you :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Scrolling down the first page of responses. I was going to add my input when I noticed this. Just curious really.

There have been at least 2 threads about this in the past few days.

It's because someone said that they found same-sex people kissing 'gross', so many people changed their avatars accordingly to take a (albeit virtual and arguably ineffective) stand against the implicit homophobia.

I'll be joining the cause at some point. Anything to piss off bigots.
Original post by KeepRollingFazzy

made me lol
Reply 39
All OP did is state his opinions as facts without giving any reasons and examples. You expect everyone to take what you say as correct without any proof/sources?

Quick Reply

Latest