The Student Room Group

Do you agree with the death penalty?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by victorialep
I think you'd feel different if your child was raped, or your mother murdered. People who do these inhumane act are not punished. students can tell a head to f off and little consequences - this world is becoming so relaxed on negative behaviour

Firstly, I don't see how either of those events would lead me to believe evidence is more accurate than it actually is. Not sure what that's got to do with it.
Secondly, what possible good would it do me if the offender was killed? It would not bring back my mother or remove the trauma my child went through and I'm not really the sort of person who would get enjoyment/satisfaction knowing that a person, no matter how evil, was killed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Feel free to disagree with the facts. It is true that much crime is committed by folks without mental illness. However I find it rather alarming that 10% of men and 30% of women have had a previous psychiatric admission before they entered prison. That is staggering when you compare it against the number of people who have been admitted for psychiatric treatment in the population as a whole.

http://www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/projectsresearch/mentalhealth

Show me the fact that says ALL criminals are mentally ill? That's not a fact at all. Even the evidence you've provided doesn't support that claim. I have acknowledged that there are quite a few criminals with a mental illness but that does not account for all crime, therefore, I can disagree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by studentro
Firstly, I don't see how either of those events would lead me to believe evidence is more accurate than it actually is. Not sure what that's got to do with it.
Secondly, what possible good would it do me if the offender was killed? It would bring back my mother or remove the trauma my child went through and I'm not really the sort of person who would get enjoyment/satisfaction knowing that a person, no matter how evil, was killed.

I suppose, having our own opinions make the world a more interesting place eh :smile:
Original post by victorialep
I suppose, having our own opinions make the world a more interesting place eh :smile:

Sure, but I can't say I'm too thrilled that so many people not only would take pleasure from the killing of a human being, but don't feel any unease or guilt over it - rather, they feel it is a just thing to do. Could you please try to explain just what it is about human death that satisfies you so much?
Original post by cherryred90s
You're giving these terrible people excuses for their crimes. They may not be evil as an individual, but the crime they commit certainly is and therefore, they have an element of it within them.

people are going to commit violent acts because violence is a symptom of our society. inequality is the cause, and the root of that inequality is within each individual. when we separate ourselves from another in the illusion of superiority self-interest is born and from there we protect and defend our egos with no regard or consideration for our inherent equality. we forget that each human suffers, we blind ourselves to the truth that WE ARE NOT PERFECT. if judgement exists within us, we are creating that judgement from within ourselves and projecting it onto another. we're reacting to our own inner experiences, our own emotions that we've built up and misplacing them onto someone who we don't know. we can't know anyone else because we're all isolated in our own minds. we can observe someone's actions and make a common sense evaluation of whether or not those actions are helpful or inappropriate but we can't judge the perpetrator of those actions because we don't know their inner circumstances; we only know ours. we are responsible for our own inner experiences and to blame someone else for what we experience is violence in itself.

i noticed that you capitalised the word god. i don't know if you're a christian but jesus speaks first and foremost of forgiveness and loving others as ourselves. christianity has been severely misconstrued by religious institutions. the purpose of religion is to find a common ground of humanity and decency and kindness and love and forgiveness. we've manipulated it into something that's judgemental and harmful. if god exists then it's benevolent; if it's not benevolent then it doesn't exist. a benevolent god would not condemn anyone because benevolence means absolute forgiveness, absolute love. humans made god - our conception of god - in our own image, not the other way around. if 'god' sent anyone to hell then he wouldn't be good, he'd be evil. but luckily god isn't evil, god is good because god is Life/nature/this physical Earth and therefore hell doesn't exist apart from in the minds of humans. hell is emotion, it's ego, it's violence of thought, word and deed. we can stop this the moment we forgive all as ourselves and embrace all of existence in actual, practical love which means sorting this planet out, but it's a process to get there.

sorting Earth out means implementing practical world solutions. it means being innovative and creative and pragmatic and living in the real world. we need to move from fossil fuels to renewable energy, we need to stop destroying the rainforests and polluting the seas and skies, we need to stop massacring the animal kingdom, we need to ensure that all have a living income to thrive on, we need to all do our bit every single day to clean up our immediate environment and transform the world around us into a beautiful place. the ultimate goal for humanity is to evolve beyond suffering and create heaven on Earth.

I completely disagree with your points that all criminals are mentally ill. You make it seem as though they didn't know what they were doing, when most of the time, that's not the case. They know exactly what they're doing, which is why some call the police immediately and hand themselves in or they try to cover up the crime and wait for the evidence to catch up to them. I understand people kill for different reasons and that's why I've said that some people have 'special' circumstances whereby they were not of sound mind or if the victim had done something terrible to them or their loved ones, but that is not true for everyone & especially not for serial offenders

"And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

when we're emotional, we don't have inner clarity or self-awareness. the more emotional we become, the more we lose our awareness and become possessed by our minds. when i lose my awareness, my mind runs on autopilot and i get annoyed and irritated with the smallest things. anything outside of us can trigger these emotional experiences - we do not make the decision to experience them in self-awareness. we can, however, choose to not react, once we develop sufficient self-awareness. but when we're possessed by our thoughts and emotions, it's difficult to pull ourselves out of it - our awareness gets stifled. our behaviour is influenced by the degree of our self-awareness.

no one is consciously insane. no one chooses to do bad things. under all circumstances, we do harmful things because we're possessed by our thoughts and emotions, and we think we're doing the right thing. someone with absolute self-awareness makes no mistakes. therefore under all circumstances, murderers are severely mentally ill and require treatment and support. just as those who are violent in thought, word and other deeds are mentally ill. all mind participation is mental illness/imbalance and should be forgiven.

i'll clarify what i mean by mind. mind is consciousness - thoughts, emotions, feelings - all inner experiences that we don't CHOOSE to experience in self-awareness. consciousness is reactive while our beingness is directive. mind is automatic and happens without our control, while our beingness in self-awareness observes our thoughts, emotions and feelings, pulling us out of our emotions and feelings when we're grounded enough. our beingness/awareness and mind/consciousness are completely entangled but the goal is to go from consciousness to awareness. consciousness/mind is not who we really are; who we really are is absolute clarity, absolute awareness, absolute love and peace. we've lost ourselves inside ourselves and that's why there's conflict.

conflict is created through mind participation which then manifests in our behaviour, creating physical world consequences. the degree of insanity in the world right now is quite clear. the reason this conflict exists is because we don't want to face ourselves. in our own minds, we're perfectly good, perfectly justified. our egos put ourselves on pedestals and make us believe that we're godlike and wonderful and completely correct in everything we do while everyone else is wrong. the awareness within us sees; it sees what we've become and moves us into sanity. in sanity, it becomes clear that we've ****ed up, big time, and that we are not godly or holy or wonderful. our beingness knows that we have to correct ourselves as this world and move ourselves into absolute self-forgiveness. no one is perfect until everyone is perfect, no one is free until everyone is free. once mind/consciousness/ego no longer exists and all humans know themselves completely, heaven will be created on Earth forever.

the key is SELF-forgiveness. we have to stop projecting ourselves onto others. we have to start taking self-responsibility. we are all here to help one another and make the world a better place. no more conflict, we MUST stand as all as one as equal and transform Earth into heaven. if we don't things will get worse until our suffering pushes us into awareness. the more someone suffers, the more wisdom they gain, the greater their capacity to heal and become real. someone on death row has a whole lot of potential to change. in fact, many, many do. before they're murdered they're forced into self-awareness from their acute degree of suffering and they find peace. then their lives are stolen by ego.

Take your example of your mental issues. You said you had an outburst and became very angry at one point in your life. I get that, but that emotional pain you were feeling doesn't last forever (particularly if you do seek help) and so it cannot account for a serial offender. Most serial offenders commit the same crime over a period of years, they spread it out. The people who are seriously mentally ill like you mentioned tend to hurt themselves or threaten to hurt themselves/ people they know as opposed to innocent people on the street. You're right about the last point. We're not perfect, and I'll never make myself out to be perfect, but there's a big difference between me making a small boo boo compared to me going out and deciding I don't like Wednesday's so I'm gonna murder and rape a number of people

those who are severely possessed by their mind/consciousness are in a constant state of fear or desire. in my situation, i'd built up yeaaarrrsss of intense emotions and when i took drugs they all came out in a huge explosion of my ego. in the moments where i threatened others, i was so certain that i was right, justified, absolutely correct in my condemnation of others. i wasn't. i was possessed by my mind and when i came down from my rage i realised what i'd done. people in prison aren't having a good time. they're suffering. they don't want to be there. they want help, they want forgiveness and they want others to stop projecting themselves onto them.

so, as i said earlier it comes down to self-forgiveness. who am i? who have i become? who will i become if i forgive myself and reach my full potential? how can i create a world that's best for all Life? how can i be of assistance to all of the Earth as my equal?
Original post by Farm_Ecology
If you feel they would deserve death, do so yourself and dont hide behind the state.

It is not for the state to impose what punishments it feels they deserve, but to protect all of its citizens.

Why would I do that? So that I can be sentenced to 25+ years? There's some matters you can't just take into your own hands because of he consequences, and this is one.

Abolishing/ incapacitating serial killers forever is 100% effective in protecting its citizens. There's no guarantee that they'll be a different person once they've served their time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why would I do that? So that I can be sentenced to 25+ years? There's some matters you can't just take into your own hands because of he consequences, and this is one.

Abolishing/ incapacitating serial killers forever is 100% effective in protecting its citizens. There's no guarantee that they'll be a different person once they've served their time.

So why do expect the state to murder on your behalf?

Killing seriel killers are still citizens. And while killing them might stop them fron killing again, there are better ways to stop future crimes by others.
No. I'd rather let the evil ones suffer in prison
Original post by Farm_Ecology
So why do expect the state to murder on your behalf?

Killing seriel killers are still citizens. And while killing them might stop them fron killing again, there are better ways to stop future crimes by others.

It's not just on my behalf, like you said it's to protect citizens most importantly.

No doubt there are other ways but I'm not sure there are 'better ways'

if we aren't prepared to do something ourselves then we shouldn't want others to do it either. are you saying that if there were no consequences for killing a serial killer you'd kill them?

the reason most don't change after they've done their time is because they were in prison and had no substantial support. transform prisons into hospitals with drs who genuinely care and we'd see a significant change in criminal behaviour after the patients are out.
Original post by Underscore__
I'm so disappointed I wasted a few seconds of my life reading that nonsense

Posted from TSR Mobile

why's it nonsense? deconstruct pls
Original post by fairytalecolours
if we aren't prepared to do something ourselves then we shouldn't want others to do it either. are you saying that if there were no consequences for killing a serial killer you'd kill them?

the reason most don't change after they've done their time is because they were in prison and had no substantial support. transform prisons into hospitals with drs who genuinely care and we'd see a significant change in criminal behaviour after the patients are out.

Okay, so if you saw someone viciously attack an innocent passer by or even someone you know, would you handcuff that person and set up a jail within your home and lock them up there? I mean we can all agree that we want that individual to be punished, but it is not within our rights to do that, the law prevents us and we risk being sent to jail ourselves if we were to take matters into our own hands like that. We are not a figure of authority, but that's not to say that they shouldn't be punished. If we were to witness such a crime, were told not to approach that person, and to call emergency services so that they can deal with it themselves.

& about what you said, perhaps that would work for one time offenders, or for people who commit minor offences. We all make mistakes and if we do something seriously wrong (not necessarily illegal) we probably won't do it again. We may do it accidentally/subconsciously but that is not the same for something like murder. You can't accidentally kill a number of people.

If a completely sane person were to murder my loved ones and I had the opportunity to kill them, I'd be seriously tempted. Ive no idea if I would actually do it, but I don't see a reason why they should get to continue to live if they've unlawfully terminated the lives of others
Reply 212
There are things worse than death. I suggest people guilty of severe offenses be forced to attend X-Factor live shows.
Reply 213
I support it, for those who are categorically incompatible with society, despite attempts at rehabilitation.

The taxpayer shouldn't have to fund the unnecessary prolonged longevity of criminals' lives. Prisons have limited capacity, and our resources should be expended upon rehabilitating people who are capable of reintegrating into society—not quarantining the leeches of mankind. Plus, if they're dead, you don't run the risk of them potentially escaping or repeat offending once/if they're released.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kiytt
I support it, for those who are categorically incompatible with society, despite attempts at rehabilitation.

The taxpayer shouldn't have to fund the unnecessary prolonged longevity of criminals' lives. Prisons have limited capacity, and our resources should be expended upon rehabilitating people who are capable of reintegrating into society—not quarantining the leeches of mankind. Plus, if they're dead, you don't run the risk of them potentially escaping or repeat offending once/if they're released.

Agreed
we should rly take a long hard look at the concepts of innocence and evil. no human is absolutely innocent and no human is absolutely evil. when we start shining the 'judgement light' around we'll see lots of dirty hands, especially from those who condone capital punishment or any other form of violence. under the right circumstances ANY ONE OF US could commit atrocious acts. there are so many factors that contribute to a human being's experience of themselves.

those of us who murder or commit any other violent act have an acute level of accumulated emotional pain. the more emotional we are, the less rational we are = the more mentally ill/imbalanced we are. there are degrees of mental illness/imbalance in all of us. ego is inseparable from mental illness/imbalance. all of us are mentally ill/imbalanced to some extent because all of us have an ego/mind to some degree.

so yeah stop it

https://vine.co/v/OnwLdHlMpDZ
Okay, so if you saw someone viciously attack an innocent passer by or even someone you know, would you handcuff that person and set up a jail within your home and lock them up there? I mean we can all agree that we want that individual to be punished, but it is not within our rights to do that, the law prevents us and we risk being sent to jail ourselves if we were to take matters into our own hands like that. We are not a figure of authority, but that's not to say that they shouldn't be punished. If we were to witness such a crime, were told not to approach that person, and to call emergency services so that they can deal with it themselves.

& about what you said, perhaps that would work for one time offenders, or for people who commit minor offences. We all make mistakes and if we do something seriously wrong (not necessarily illegal) we probably won't do it again. We may do it accidentally/subconsciously but that is not the same for something like murder. You can't accidentally kill a number of people.

If a completely sane person were to murder my loved ones and I had the opportunity to kill them, I'd be seriously tempted. Ive no idea if I would actually do it, but I don't see a reason why they should get to continue to live if they've unlawfully terminated the lives of others

no, i wouldn't want to punish them. punishment is immoral and solves nothing. it implies that the punisher is superior to the one who is being punished when they're not. anyone who is prepared to punish another does so to fuel their ego. you can't know what a murderer experiences because you've not murdered anyone. it takes an extreme level of emotional imbalance to hurt another. naturally we are peaceful beings. look at young children. violence is a systemic problem and must be solved in actual, physical reality, so that those who are mentally ill have a chance to help themselves out of their minds. prisons do nothing but exacerbate the problem. punishment does nothing but validate ego. prisons need to become hospitals and criminals need to become patients.

'figure of authority' also implies superiority and inferiority. no one is more or less than another.

i demonstrated above why completely sane people can't murder others. completely sane people have no desire to cause harm to anyone. if we have in us the desire to hurt others, we're mentally ill. simple as that. it doesn't matter if we'd do it or not; we are, to a degree, mentally imbalanced and a harm to others. in a perfect world there'd be no judgement. a perfect world starts with the individual. we have to be the change we wish to see else an eye for an eye will eventually make the whole world blind.
Will a 25yr prison sentence bring back the victim?

Nope, but at least it doesn't give the criminal the quick escape of death :smile:
no, i wouldn't want to punish them. punishment is immoral and solves nothing. it implies that the punisher is superior to the one who is being punished when they're not. anyone who is prepared to punish another does so to fuel their ego. you can't know what a murderer experiences because you've not murdered anyone. it takes an extreme level of emotional imbalance to hurt another. naturally we are peaceful beings. look at young children. violence is a systemic problem and must be solved in actual, physical reality, so that those who are mentally ill have a chance to help themselves out of their minds. prisons do nothing but exacerbate the problem. punishment does nothing but validate ego. prisons need to become hospitals and criminals need to become patients.

'figure of authority' also implies superiority and inferiority. no one is more or less than another.

i demonstrated above why completely sane people can't murder others. completely sane people have no desire to cause harm to anyone. if we have in us the desire to hurt others, we're mentally ill. simple as that. it doesn't matter if we'd do it or not; we are, to a degree, mentally imbalanced and a harm to others. in a perfect world there'd be no judgement. a perfect world starts with the individual. we have to be the change we wish to see else an eye for an eye will eventually make the whole world blind.

Now you're being absolutely ridiculous. Nobody should be punished? So how will they possibly know right from wrong? With your logic, we'll have a society of deviants operating outside of the law because there are no repercussions for their actions. We would all be living in fear, is that what you want?
I don't need to know what a murderer experiences. What I do know is that they should be punished for their behaviour. Not all children are peaceful, in fact there are quite a few who commit horrendous crimes. They should also be punished. Not all criminals should get a pass by being found guilty by reason of insanity. Not all criminals are mentally ill, sorry to break it to you. In a perfect world, there'd be no criminals but that isn't looking too promising.

When I eventually have children, I will teach them right from wrong and they will be punished for bad behaviour. How will they learn otherwise? Even the most peaceful of people will do something morally wrong in their lifetime. That's not to say they're mentally ill, but more so they allowed their deviant impulses to consume them. We all have those impulses within us, but that doesn't give us the label of 'mentally ill' just like we all have cancer cells within our bodies but that doesn't mean that we are all cancer patients.

There are people that are of higher authority to us, of course there are. Those people are permitted to lock away offenders for as long as they wish, whereas we can't. If you have a problem with that, you should go and take it up with them. Don't argue with me about the facts. The fact of the matter is if you act in the same way as a figure of authority, you will be penalised and likely be punished for it. If you wish to become a figure of authority, then go right ahead, no one is stopping you. We are all equal yes, but we also play different roles in society. It's okay for you to take your child on holiday with you without permission from anyone, whereas if I were to try and take your kid on holiday with me without permission, I'd be charged with kidnap. If a figure of authority tried to take your child on holiday with them without permission, they'd too be charged with kidnap.
Original post by studentro
Sure, but I can't say I'm too thrilled that so many people not only would take pleasure from the killing of a human being, but don't feel any unease or guilt over it - rather, they feel it is a just thing to do. Could you please try to explain just what it is about human death that satisfies you so much?

It wouldn't please me at all, but I do believe that if somebody commits such a disgusting act then they should be correctly punished. How can somebody kill a large number of people and not be punished? Lock them up with sky tv and free food? Sounds horrible doesn't it? 🤔

Do you then believe the army are taking pleasure from killing isil members? And that they actually deserve to live and continue with their guilt free lives? Or should be lock them up with sky tv and an Xbox?

I have family members in prison for committing a horrible act and they are not in any way regretting what they have done as they have a cushty life.

You make it sound like I would love for this to happen, that I would be incredibly happy to see someone killed, this is incorrect and an awful way to twist some bodies beliefs!

I do not find pleasure in death, I would not smile as someon was killed. But I do believe in justice - for families and those that have been hurt by the wreckless act of another.

The only person who would feel any pleasure would be the awful human who had initially killed or raped another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending