The Student Room Group

Harvard Extension School

Anyone heard of Harvard University's Extension school?

If so opinions?
Yes. No opinion.
Original post by justguess
Anyone heard of Harvard University's Extension school?

If so opinions?

Yes. It seems like a way for Harvard to monetise their brand without having to do the same things they do for folks at the other Harvard schools. Worth noticing that the admission criteria for this school is far less strict than for the mainstream Harvard schools.
Reply 3
Original post by Juichiro
Yes. It seems like a way for Harvard to monetise their brand without having to do the same things they do for folks at the other Harvard schools. Worth noticing that the admission criteria for this school is far less strict than for the mainstream Harvard schools.

How do you rate a Masters Degree from there? If you take all the classes on campus you will essentially be lectured by the same professors, so quality theoretically shouldn't be diminished
How do you rate a Masters Degree from there? If you take all the classes on campus you will essentially be lectured by the same professors, so quality theoretically shouldn't be diminished

Are you in the us already? You cant get a student visa for extension school study because it is designed for working adults.

Except you won't be necessarily lectured by the same professors. Harvard Extension School does have classes taught by current Harvard faculty, but also brings in professors from elsewhere - I spotted profs from universities across the US, and a few from the UK as well that are teaching courses. Plus Harvard employs some faculty who teach exclusively at the Extension School, and so likely wouldn't be doing much teaching with Harvard undergrads or regular postgrads.

That's not to say that the quality won't be high- I'm sure it would be. But it's not equivalent to applying to & studying full time on one of Harvard's postgraduate programmes in terms of teaching, contact time etc.
Original post by gutenberg
Except you won't be necessarily lectured by the same professors. Harvard Extension School does have classes taught by current Harvard faculty, but also brings in professors from elsewhere - I spotted profs from universities across the US, and a few from the UK as well that are teaching courses. Plus Harvard employs some faculty who teach exclusively at the Extension School, and so likely wouldn't be doing much teaching with Harvard undergrads or regular postgrads.

That's not to say that the quality won't be high- I'm sure it would be. But it's not equivalent to applying to & studying full time on one of Harvard's postgraduate programmes in terms of teaching, contact time etc.

But do you get a Harvard University degree in the end?
Original post by Little Toy Gun
But do you get a Harvard University degree in the end?

For the programme the OP seems interested in, you're awarded an MA in Liberal Arts in extension studies, with a particular field then listed. Which seems a way of saying it's a Harvard MA, but...

Nonetheless, it is a degree from Harvard, but I imagine you would have to be clear that it's from their extension school, rather than say the Kennedy school if it's a politics degree, for example. It does seem to be a well-respected programme - while looking into it I found this interesting article in The Atlantic.

The visa issue still stands, as madamemerle pointed out, plus it isn't exactly cheap, even if it is significantly less costly than the standard postgraduate programmes.
Yep.

All I know is it's the "Harvard" for people who can't get in to "Harvard" =S
For the programme the OP seems interested in, you're awarded an MA in Liberal Arts in extension studies, with a particular field then listed. Which seems a way of saying it's a Harvard MA, but...

Nonetheless, it is a degree from Harvard, but I imagine you would have to be clear that it's from their extension school, rather than say the Kennedy school if it's a politics degree, for example. It does seem to be a well-respected programme - while looking into it I found this interesting article in The Atlantic.

The visa issue still stands, as madamemerle pointed out, plus it isn't exactly cheap, even if it is significantly less costly than the standard postgraduate programmes.

How would people know if you just say Harvard?
How would people know if you just say Harvard?

Good question. I guess people wouldn't unless you had to submit transcripts and/or a copy of the degree itself.
Good question. I guess people wouldn't unless you had to submit transcripts and/or a copy of the degree itself.

Would the diploma say it's from the extension school not Harvard proper?

And do they actually have lower requirements, both academic and professional ones?
Would the diploma say it's from the extension school not Harvard proper?

And do they actually have lower requirements, both academic and professional ones?

The diploma will say awarded by the Extension School, while an ordinary MA would be awarded by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and they are very clear that you must write MA by Extension Studies when you list it in your qualifications. But most people reading your cv will probably not know what what the specific wording means.

All I know is that you can take some of the classes required for extension school degrees online without doing much work, at least it seems like little work to me compared to what my MA classes entailed. I know that because someone in my family has taken classes that could be counted towards an extension school degree and was looking into whether it was worth their time to fill out the roster of classes required for a degree. Ultimately, they decided they didnt want to, because of the time aejd money commitment involved, the general lack of regard for extension school degrees in their profession, and the fact that they already have a postgrad qualification.
It will say Harvard Extension School so you can not say Harvard University. I have done the Human Resource Management course with HES and I recommend it.
No mention of Harvard Extension on the degree. It is awarded by the President and Fellows of Harvard College through the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. It says Harvard University.
I had students from Kennedy School, Harvard School of Design, Harvard Business School, as well as the College in my classes. The lectures, workload and tests were then, identical. I can't say about all classes (no one can really) but generally the classes are the same in my experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending