The Student Room Group

Advice needed for art

Basically I'm doing A-level Art, French and Economics (I'm in yr 13 atm) but I've been getting really really ill with migraines. I've been in regular contact with my doctor for about 3 years about it so please don't ask me to go to my GP - I'm on like 6 different meds and it's constantly under review.

I've missed so much school I'm ridiculously behind in my coursework project for art and tbh I don't think I'll be able to finish the course and even pass. Not bragging but I am very capable - I won the school art prize in year 11. My teacher suggested dropping the A2 and focusing on creating a portfolio for my application for an Art Foundation course at a local college then resubmitting AS work to boost my grade from a B to an A.

What should I do? I don't know how badly it will affect my uni applications if I drop the A2, it's obviously a huge decision but I can't see my health improving in the next few weeks. The project should be finished by January and I've only got about 3 pages in my sketchbook which is obviously nowhere near enough.
Reply 1
Please can someone reply
Will you actually lose anything if you take it and get a C or a D? Personally I'd err on the side of having a go, I wouldn't have thought you'd be in a worse position. There is also always the possibility that something improves for you healthwise and this then gives you the option of doing a really good final project and exam and boosting your grade.
Reply 3
Original post by doodle_333
Will you actually lose anything if you take it and get a C or a D? Personally I'd err on the side of having a go, I wouldn't have thought you'd be in a worse position. There is also always the possibility that something improves for you healthwise and this then gives you the option of doing a really good final project and exam and boosting your grade.

The main issues with continuing are A) having enough work to even pass B) the stress of an A2 making me more sick and C) I have a really bad relationship with my art teacher, I find it really hard to do art now because he makes me feel like such a failure and is so negative I have loads of unhealthy associations with the project that I find hard to shake...
Original post by nverjvlev
The main issues with continuing are A) having enough work to even pass B) the stress of an A2 making me more sick and C) I have a really bad relationship with my art teacher, I find it really hard to do art now because he makes me feel like such a failure and is so negative I have loads of unhealthy associations with the project that I find hard to shake...

perhaps contact universities personally and ask them whether they would take you on with just a portfolio rather than an A level? if the universities don't mind and you are talented then you don't really have anything to lose

It's certainly not an easy decision, it's one of those where whatever you do could be the wrong choice, without being able to see into the future! But whatever decision you make you can 'fix' later by taking an extra year of A levels.
Reply 5
Original post by doodle_333
perhaps contact universities personally and ask them whether they would take you on with just a portfolio rather than an A level? if the universities don't mind and you are talented then you don't really have anything to lose

It's certainly not an easy decision, it's one of those where whatever you do could be the wrong choice, without being able to see into the future! But whatever decision you make you can 'fix' later by taking an extra year of A levels.

Thanks so much! I'll try contacting the universities :smile:
I think that you should drop the one your teacher has said to drop and it shouldn't effect your grades that much, just think positive and you will achieve better grades than you think!
Original post by nverjvlev
Basically I'm doing A-level Art, French and Economics (I'm in yr 13 atm) but I've been getting really really ill with migraines. I've been in regular contact with my doctor for about 3 years about it so please don't ask me to go to my GP - I'm on like 6 different meds and it's constantly under review.

I've missed so much school I'm ridiculously behind in my coursework project for art and tbh I don't think I'll be able to finish the course and even pass. Not bragging but I am very capable - I won the school art prize in year 11. My teacher suggested dropping the A2 and focusing on creating a portfolio for my application for an Art Foundation course at a local college then resubmitting AS work to boost my grade from a B to an A.

What should I do? I don't know how badly it will affect my uni applications if I drop the A2, it's obviously a huge decision but I can't see my health improving in the next few weeks. The project should be finished by January and I've only got about 3 pages in my sketchbook which is obviously nowhere near enough.

Hi nverjvlev!

I am a Ravensbourne Student also applied for the art foundation diploma here a few years back.You sound like a very capable person, and you would like to pursue the creative pathway as you mentioned submitted AS work for your art foundation. :smile:

During my time of applying for an art foundation I was still unclear about where I wanted to go and if the creative route was for me. Completing A levels was a form of security for myself in case I wanted to go down a different route, for example if I wanted to study medicine after they would require full A levels, so I could always still change my mind even after the course.

From what I have read I understand you are contemplating on whether to drop A2 and focus on your art. It may be worth looking into what is known as a pre-foundation diploma which some universities do offer. This is a short 1-year course which is for students who finished their AS and GCSEs. Can check out the link below.

Click to View

Similar to a foundation course this is a nice substitute for students to build on their portfolio and gain the skills and requirements needed to progress into the foundation course. Then moving forward from that, the art foundation course is to ease yourself into university degree later.

As Doodle_333 mentioned, It would also benefit you to contact the universities and check their requirements if you are unsure as most art universities consider the quality of your portfolio as well as grades.

As you seem very enthusiastic on the art path, the pre-foundation diploma is only a suggestion as some do not enjoy the fast-paced nature of A-levels. It is a difficult decision to make, but at the end of the day whether you choose to push forward with your A2, or drop them or take a completely different route, make sure you always look ahead to what you may need later, do not worry about the negative feelings your teacher gives off. Think positive and move forward at your own pace. :biggrin:

Whatever you choose to do, I believe health is always the top priority, mentally and physically, so just consider what will be better for you in the long run.

Hope this has helped!
Jay :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ravensbourne
Hi nverjvlev!

I am a Ravensbourne Student also applied for the art foundation diploma here a few years back.You sound like a very capable person, and you would like to pursue the creative pathway as you mentioned submitted AS work for your art foundation. :smile:

During my time of applying for an art foundation I was still unclear about where I wanted to go and if the creative route was for me. Completing A levels was a form of security for myself in case I wanted to go down a different route, for example if I wanted to study medicine after they would require full A levels, so I could always still change my mind even after the course.

From what I have read I understand you are contemplating on whether to drop A2 and focus on your art. It may be worth looking into what is known as a pre-foundation diploma which some universities do offer. This is a short 1-year course which is for students who finished their AS and GCSEs. Can check out the link below.

Click to View

Similar to a foundation course this is a nice substitute for students to build on their portfolio and gain the skills and requirements needed to progress into the foundation course. Then moving forward from that, the art foundation course is to ease yourself into university degree later.

As Doodle_333 mentioned, It would also benefit you to contact the universities and check their requirements if you are unsure as most art universities consider the quality of your portfolio as well as grades.

As you seem very enthusiastic on the art path, the pre-foundation diploma is only a suggestion as some do not enjoy the fast-paced nature of A-levels. It is a difficult decision to make, but at the end of the day whether you choose to push forward with your A2, or drop them or take a completely different route, make sure you always look ahead to what you may need later, do not worry about the negative feelings your teacher gives off. Think positive and move forward at your own pace. :biggrin:

Whatever you choose to do, I believe health is always the top priority, mentally and physically, so just consider what will be better for you in the long run.

Hope this has helped!
Jay :biggrin:

thanks so much for this advice, I'll definitely look into it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending