The Student Room Group

C3 trig

I have to put the equation in the photo in terms of one trigonometric function. What is wrong with what I did? The answer is meant to be 1/4sin^2(2x) ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446660607.234766.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What you done there is correct. Show what the actual question was.
Reply 2
Rotate that picture, or use latex (google latex tsr and it should come up to the thread, I can't remember where it is located)

I'm struggling to understand what you want too
Original post by ubisoft
What you done there is correct. Show what the actual question was.

It's 3f ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446660949.949507.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JD1lla
Rotate that picture, or use latex (google latex tsr and it should come up to the thread, I can't remember where it is located)

I am using no the double angle formula: sin2A = 2sinAcosA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by anoymous1111
I have to put the equation in the photo in terms of one trigonometric function. What is wrong with what I did? The answer is meant to be 1/4sin^2(2x) ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446660607.234766.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get the same answer like you in 2 different ways
Original post by JD1lla

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446661082.407596.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
I get the same answer like you in 2 different ways

Apparently it is wrong.... I don't know why

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Why did you just square root it out of nowhere? that changes the expression.

Think of double angle expressions that you can use.
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Post your methodology, I don't know how you're using that identity (well I can guess). I don't know how the posters above have also got the same answer as you. Are you all mis-reading the question/OPs post?

She wrote cos^2, not cos2
Original post by JD1lla
Post your methodology, I don't know how you're using that identity (well I can guess). I don't know how the posters above have also got the same answer as you. Are you all mis-reading the question/OPs post?

She wrote cos^2, not cos2

There isn't really any methodology....like obviously 1/2(2) =1 so I'm just rewriting the equation so that I can use the formula to simplify part of it....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

it is wrong because now that you posted the question there is no square root anywhere in the question....
There isn't really any methodology....like obviously 1/2(2) =1 so I'm just rewriting the equation so that I can use the formula to simplify part of it....

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you can't square root something that isn't part of an equation
You can rewrite it as
(sinthetacostheta)^2 and then proceed with the method you did and expand at the end.
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Square rooting the whole thing is not rewriting it; it changes the expression. It's not an equation.
Original post by TeeEm
it is wrong because now that you posted the question there is no square root anywhere in the question....

Ooooooooooops :frown: sorry everyone I'm so stupid.....I thought I had included the question. Why can't I square root the whole thing? Is it because it's not stated that it is equal to 0 therefore I can only rearrange it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
sin2xsin4xsin^{2}x-sin^{4}x is what I got, which is another form of the answer you seek, but I assume I used different methodology to the way you require. I suppose this doesn't help :P
(edited 8 years ago)
Ooooooooooops :frown: sorry everyone I'm so stupid.....I thought I had included the question. Why can't I square root the whole thing? Is it because it's not stated that it is equal to 0 therefore I can only rearrange it

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have the value 9.
9 is identical to 3^2 but it isn't identical to sqrt(9)
Just like
cos^2sin^2 is identical to (costhetasintheta)^2 but not identical to sqrt(cos^2thetasin^2theta)
Reply 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

Factorise it first into (sinxcosx)^2, and then do what you did for inside the bracket and then expand it (except you do not square root it).
Original post by Windowswind123
If you have the value 9.
9 is identical to 3^2 but it isn't identical to sqrt(9)
Just like
cos^2sin^2 is identical to (costhetasintheta)^2 but not identical to sqrt(cos^2thetasin^2theta)

Haha I know I don't know what I was thinking! Sorry I wasted your time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JD1lla
sin2xsin4xsin^{2}x-sin^{4}x is what I got, which is another form of the answer you seek, but I assume I used different methodology to the way you require. I suppose this doesn't help :P

That's great thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest