The Student Room Group

What's with all the gay avatar pictures?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Danny McCoyne
Not everyone who disagrees with homosexuality is homophobic. For example, I think homosexuality is wrong but I wouldn't walk up to gay strangers and tell them about it yet I wouldn't describe myself as homophobic.

Oh but that's the exact definition of homophobia! You may not consider yourself homophobic but having a problem with homosexuality is, in fact, believe it or not, homophobic :smile:
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Yes they are.

Most members of Britain First or the KKK wouldn't describe themselves as racist, that doesn't mean that they are not racist.

Oh no you just didn't compare something as fickle as homosexuality to racism. As a person of colour I can tell you that I cannot hide my race like a homosexual person can hide their sexuality.

I don't hate homosexuals, I'm not scared of homosexuals, I just don't agree with people who live their lives as homosexuals no more than I agree or support people who are drug addicts for example.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh no you just didn't compare something as fickle as homosexuality to racism.
:rolleyes:

Homophobia is just as serious as racism.
The amount of people who got some kind of homosexuality in avatar makes me laugh :rofl:

Spoiler

Oh no you just didn't compare something as fickle as homosexuality to racism. As a person of colour I can tell you that I cannot hide my race like a homosexual person can hide their sexuality.

I don't hate homosexuals, I'm not scared of homosexuals, I just don't agree with people who live their lives as homosexuals no more than I agree or support people who are drug addicts for example.

Oh no you didn't just use the word "fickle" with homosexuality.

Do you not know what the word "fickle" means? "Fickle" means "changing frequently" or somewhere along those lines.
And they're supposed to suppress their sexual orientation? Go **** off you selfish ****.
And what is "I just don't agree with people who live their lives as homosexuals" supposed to mean?

You've given me the impression that you believe homosexuality is a choice, if you do actually believe this, don't be stupid and go re-evaluate your opinions.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
:rolleyes:

Homophobia is just as serious as racism.

No it's bloody not. Racial issues deserve more attention and awareness than the issues of the LGBTQIA community because racism is more far reaching and detrimental to society than simply disagreeing with somebody's sexual choices. I'm frankly insulted that you think that gay issues like marriage are comparable to slavery, the holocaust and mass segregation not to mention institutional racism which EVERYONE brushes under the rug and pretends doesn't exist.

I recongise the struggles that gay people who come out of the closet face but having the choice of coming out in the first place is in itself a luxury and is not something that people of colour can even clinch to so let's not compare the two.
Original post by XcitingStuart
Oh no you didn't just use the word "fickle" with homosexuality.

Do you not know what the word "fickle" means? "Fickle" means "changing frequently" or somewhere along those lines.
And they're supposed to suppress their sexual orientation? Go **** off you selfish ****.
And what is "I just don't agree with people who live their lives as homosexuals" supposed to mean?

You've given me the impression that you believe homosexuality is a choice, if you do actually believe this, don't be stupid and go re-evaluate your opinions.

Let's not make this personal.
(edited 8 years ago)
You wouldn't be against people changing their avatars to a white person and a black person holding hands so why against 2 people of the same sex showing love? Battling Homophobia is just as important as battling Racism!
No it's bloody not. Racial issues deserve more attention and awareness than the issues of the LGBTQIA community because racism is more far reaching and detrimental to society than simply disagreeing with somebody's sexual choices. I'm frankly insulted that you think that gay issues like marriage are comparable to slavery, the holocaust and mass segregation not to mention institutional racism which EVERYONE brushes under the rug and pretends doesn't exist.

I recongise the struggles that gay people who come out of the closet face but having the choice of coming out in the first place is in itself a luxury and is not something that people of colour can even clinch to so let's not compare the two.

Gay people are still put to death for being gay in some countries... let that sink in for a moment. In the world today, and I'm talking the entire world, it is WORSE to be openly gay than it is to be black.

Why should they hide their sexuality? Why on Earth is that a luxury? They'd be miserable for their entire lives. Do you really think that it would be morally praiseworthy to force everyone in the LGBT+ community to live such a life? What if there were a switch to turn you white right now and you decided not to press it saying "I'm just as good as any white person, and people should respect me skin colour and all," do you really think people who'd say "you should suppress your blackness and press the button" are MORALLY GOOD individuals?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bluemadhatter
You wouldn't be against people changing their avatars to a white person and a black person holding hands so why against 2 people of the same sex showing love? Battling Homophobia is just as important as battling Racism!

Yes some people absolutely still would. Interracial couples are still a big taboo and especially in a country like 'Great' Britain.

Another mindless fool trying to legitamise nonsense by associating it with a genuine societal issue.
Yes some people absolutely still would. Interracial couples are still a big taboo and especially in a country like 'Great' Britain.

Another mindless fool trying to legitamise nonsense by associating it with a genuine societal issue.

I was just giving an example, explaining that both are a serious issue and this is why we should try to battle it. I feel like people hating on homosexuals is WAY more acceptable than racism especially on this forum.
Original post by Danz123
Gay people are still put to death for being gay in some countries... let that sink in for a moment. In the world today, and I'm talking the entire world, it is WORSE to be openly gay than it is to be black.

Why should they hide their sexuality? Why on Earth is that a luxury? They'd be miserable for their entire lives. Do you really think that it would be morally praiseworthy to force everyone in the LGBT+ community to live such a life? What if there were a switch to turn you white right now and you decided not to press it saying "I'm just as good as any white person, and people should respect me skin colour and all," do you really think people who'd say "you should suppress your blackness and press the button" are MORALLY GOOD individuals?

I disagree wholeheartedly with your naive assessment that being gay is worse off than being black as it's quite a baseless assumption, black people are still being killed today for being black AND it's not something I can hide like a gay person can - this is a point that appears to have evaded you completely and it speaks to your lack of experience facing real hardship. Every single day in the week we see another racist white person, even in the UK, attack a black/person of colour in a public space without any onlooker batting an eyelid such homophobic attacks are in the minority, for example.

I appreciate and understand your point about sticking with your own truth whether that's being black or being gay but in a life and death situation where gun toting racists or homophobes were knocking on my door I would press that white button in a heartbeat in the same way that any sane gay person would feign being heterosexual.

I'm not saying gay people should go into hiding I'm saying that going into a hiding is one less option that black people don't have that gay people do so my point remains that we shouldn't compare homosexuality to racism.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I don't understand how people are still asking this? It's been explained so many times already and at least 2 huge threads have been made on the subject!

Not everyone tracks this sort of thing that closely tbh. This is the first explanation I've seen.

I tend to think that profile picture activism is a bit stupid and immature, but I don't see how anyone could care enough to get mad about it.
Reply 53
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Whatever!:rolleyes:

It was/is a great method of protest!

You have no shame
Reply 54
Original post by drowzee
To annoy the homophobes. :h:

You're disgusting doing it for that. You have no shame.
Original post by slade p
You have no shame

Lol what? why?
Original post by slade p
You have no shame

Answer my question!!! :angry:
Reply 57
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Lol what? why?

Because you're doing it to annoy people and you are inconsiderate to their views.
Reply 58
Does anyone know how to install the online DLC for Just Cause 2??
Original post by slade p
Because you're doing it to annoy people and you are inconsiderate to their views.

lol k

Here, have this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending