The Student Room Group

Can a religion ever truly die out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJlover
Everything will die except Allah's face.

And I don't care for the word 'religion' tbh.

Muslims are going to become the majority in Europe. I'm happy for you.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
You're really clinging on to technicalities here, the thread is about religion, not faith, the two are not the same. What "own religion" are you referring to? Egalitarianism is not a religion or a faith, I don't know why you keep bringing it up.

The religion of egalitarianism or leftism. It is a religion. The idea that all human beings are equal is an article of faith with no basis in reality. Most atheists have more irrational beliefs than religious people as a result of their adherence to this egalitarian religion.
Original post by Kittyboy
Definitely not. Humans will always be illogical and stupid. The fear of death is also another factor. I don't think any major religions will ever die out.

In the Roman empire, most people believed in the Pantheon. This major religion was abandoned forever after the end of this Empire: it was replaced by Christianity and other religions. So I don't think that Islam and Christianity will last forever: they will be replaced somehow.But yes,people will always believe to religions. However I don't think that the real reason is people being stupid : it just gives people a purpose in life
Reply 43
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
You do know what egalitarianism is right? It's an article of faith. The religion has many branches such as communism, marxism, feminism, etc. It also has a number of saints like MLK or Mandela.

Quite ironic that their saints were staunch christians, something theyre trying to make people forget.
The religion of egalitarianism or leftism. It is a religion. The idea that all human beings are equal is an article of faith with no basis in reality.
Utter rubbish. Just because something has no obvious basis on reality (not that leftism or egalitarianism has no basis on reality) doesn't make it a religion. It's an ideology, a political stance, not a religion. You're arguing on the basis that it's technically similar to religion and should therefore be called a religion. That's hardly what the OP means by religion and you're going off topic.

Most atheists have more irrational beliefs than religious people as a result of their adherence to this egalitarian religion.
I don't even think this absolutely absurd assertion should be dignified with a response. So you're saying that the idea that everyone should be treated equally (Through common morality or even common sense) is more irrational than the idea that anyone who doesn't follow their religion should be beheaded? Disgusting.
Original post by william walker
Indeed and they lost power, so were replaced. I was simply stating a fact. Wasn't really making a defined argument.

Fair point :smile:
Original post by Lady Comstock
Fair point :smile:

Jolly good then. :biggrin:
Original post by william walker
What does this mean again?

Dear Sir,

Care for cup of tea ? Thou can deliver some of thy riveting tales, I do enjoy hearing them.
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
Dear Sir,

Care for cup of tea ? Thou can deliver some of thy riveting tales, I do enjoy hearing them.

No thank you kind sir. I had my tea at 7:00 pm.

What sort of riveting tales?

[video="youtube;oBJkaWZs5zw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJkaWZs5zw[/video]
Utter rubbish. Just because something has no obvious basis on reality (not that leftism or egalitarianism has no basis on reality) doesn't make it a religion. It's an ideology, a political stance, not a religion. You're arguing on the basis that it's technically similar to religion and should therefore be called a religion. That's hardly what the OP means by religion and you're going off topic.

Of course egalitarianism has no basis in reality. Human inequality is obvious to anyone with an open mind and a pair of working eyes.

I don't even think this absolutely absurd assertion should be dignified with a response. So you're saying that the idea that everyone should be treated equally (Through common morality or even common sense) is more irrational than the idea that anyone who doesn't follow their religion should be beheaded? Disgusting.

I know of no religion that actually has any tenets which say that people should be beheaded. You are strawmanning religion here. Most religions have far more wisdom and intelligent insights into real human nature than egalitarianism has ever provided.

The worst mass-murderers of all time believed that people were equal and should be treated equally. They were called communists. They were very strong atheists too.
Of course egalitarianism has no basis in reality. Human inequality is obvious to anyone with an open mind and a pair of working eyes.

I know of no religion that actually has any tenets which say that people should be beheaded. You are strawmanning religion here. Most religions have far more wisdom and intelligent insights into real human nature than egalitarianism has ever provided.

The worst mass-murderers of all time believed that people were equal and should be treated equally. They were called communists. They were very strong atheists too.

And anyone with a pair of working eyes and a rational mind can see you're a deluded right wing theist who spouts a load of non sensical trash. Here's a religion: Islam, not hard. Know what other tenets they and other religions have? Homosexuals should be killed, apostates should be killed, etc etc. Strawmanning religion... oh please. "Most religions have far more wisdom and intelligent insights into real human nature than egalitarianism has ever provided." oh but I thought egalitarianism was a religion? Oh yes yes, the religions where people blindly believe in fairy tales and magical sky gods really did have more wisdom and intelligent insights didn't they.
And anyone with a pair of working eyes and a rational mind can see you're a deluded right wing theist who spouts a load of non sensical trash. Here's a religion: Islam, not hard. Know what other tenets they and other religions have? Homosexuals should be killed, apostates should be killed, etc etc. Strawmanning religion... oh please. "Most religions have far more wisdom and intelligent insights into real human nature than egalitarianism has ever provided." oh but I thought egalitarianism was a religion? Oh yes yes, the religions where people blindly believe in fairy tales and magical sky gods really did have more wisdom and intelligent insights didn't they.

I'm not a theist. I'm an agnostic. I haven't received grace as this moment in time.

Islam doesn't hold that non-believers should be beheaded. That's a misrepresentation.

Yes, religions like Christianity do have more insightful depictions of human nature. See, for example, the idea that humanity is fallen. This fits far more closely with reality than the worship of our basest desires that you get with your typical cultural marxist/liberal atheist nowadays who thinks that humanity is essentially entirely good in his nature and that it is only society that can him bad. This noble savage position is what leads to the gulag.
I'm not a theist. I'm an agnostic. I haven't received grace as this moment in time.

Islam doesn't hold that non-believers should be beheaded. That's a misrepresentation.

Yes, religions like Christianity do have more insightful depictions of human nature. See, for example, the idea that humanity is fallen. This fits far more closely with reality than the worship of our basest desires that you get with your typical cultural marxist/liberal atheist nowadays who thinks that humanity is essentially entirely good in his nature and that it is only society that can him bad. This noble savage position is what leads to the gulag.

Haha... this is hilarious.
Haha... this is hilarious.

Atheism will decline in the 21st century: http://www.sneps.net/RD/uploads/1-Shall%20the%20Religious%20Inherit%20the%20Earth.pdf

That's what happens when you don't have any kids.
Original post by Vesniep
In the Roman empire, most people believed in the Pantheon. This major religion was abandoned forever after the end of this Empire: it was replaced by Christianity and other religions. So I don't think that Islam and Christianity will last forever: they will be replaced somehow.But yes,people will always believe to religions. However I don't think that the real reason is people being stupid : it just gives people a purpose in life

It's easy enough to find a purpose without having a religion.
Original post by Kittyboy
It's easy enough to find a purpose without having a religion.

I don't think so: it is much more difficult to find your own purpose in life (requires strong personality) than have god find it for you. Somehow I believe religion is correlated to weakness ( not because people are stupid that's quiet extreme)
Original post by Vesniep
I don't think so: it is much more difficult to find your own purpose in life (requires strong personality) than have god find it for you. Somehow I believe religion is correlated to weakness ( not because people are stupid that's quiet extreme)

I'm sorry, but if you follow and believe the words of some extremely old book written by numerous and unreliable narrators then you're an idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest