The Student Room Group

Calling all literary geniuses

I love this book called 'The Stand' by Stephen King. One of the characters was a sociologist, Glen Bateman and he has this quote:

“Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home".

Basically in the book, there is a plague/superflu endemic that wipes out millions and billions in the USA and part of the story focuses on the recreation of society with the remaining immune survivors.

What does this quote mean? How does it relate to society/sociology?

I apologise if the meaning is pretty obvious :smile:

I tried to post this in 'Study Help -English' but it didn't work.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by undine_monty
I love this book called 'The Stand' by Stephen King. One of the characters was a sociologist, Glen Bateman and he has this quote:

“Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home".

Basically in the book, there is a plague/superflu endemic that wipes out millions and billions in the USA and part of the story focuses on the recreation of society with the remaining immune survivors.

What does this quote mean? How does it relate to society/sociology?

I apologise if the meaning is pretty obvious :smile:

I tried to post this in 'Study Help -English' but it didn't work.

I'm doing AS English Literature at the moment so this is what I would say (because depending on literary theory there are so many interpretations to an extract):

Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint One can take this two ways, or more; either that men and women are inherently meant to be together because how can one show another a 'saint' or it can mean purity in the sense that they have no sexual temptation available to them because their opposite is not available, allowing them to remain purified

Give me two and they'll fall in love; Either it is the downfall of the individual because they have come together without the affirmation of God (im presuming they are not married) and so this notion of purity is carried on however to show that these individuals are tainted by their somewhat illicit sexual ideas because love is focused around ones arousal of another. Or it can be shown how two people are able to prosper, to show great affections for one another, something we humans naturally crave for.

Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'; Now in terms of society and sociology, society is founded upon a range of individuals with multiple view points from functionalists ect and so because the an and woman were in love, it is presumed they share the same thoughts and society is quite the contrast from that and so by creating this additional character establishes someone who will challenge the ideals of the couple because they are an outsider however i is not explicit because they can still be intimate as a trio

then it escalates from there showing how society develops together to produce ideas however that it is a fundamental flaw that these people will start to attack each other; much like the school of thoughts in sociology from feminists to Marxists ect and how society naturally starts to become grotesque

Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home". Finally this is why we are here on this Earth (according to the bible) this planet is a proving ground to see if we are worthy of a place in heaven and so society is made in the image of satan to see if we develop morals and a sophisticated living system worthy to God and how we are trying to get back home (heaven) where we started off (Adam and Eve)

Sorry if this is really biblical (im not christian) but literature has so many connects with the bible so its impossible to like not make a connection ;-)
Sorry if this wasnt much help either
Original post by Jerome85
I'm doing AS English Literature at the moment so this is what I would say (because depending on literary theory there are so many interpretations to an extract):

Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint One can take this two ways, or more; either that men and women are inherently meant to be together because how can one show another a 'saint' or it can mean purity in the sense that they have no sexual temptation available to them because their opposite is not available, allowing them to remain purified

Give me two and they'll fall in love; Either it is the downfall of the individual because they have come together without the affirmation of God (im presuming they are not married) and so this notion of purity is carried on however to show that these individuals are tainted by their somewhat illicit sexual ideas because love is focused around ones arousal of another. Or it can be shown how two people are able to prosper, to show great affections for one another, something we humans naturally crave for.

Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'; Now in terms of society and sociology, society is founded upon a range of individuals with multiple view points from functionalists ect and so because the an and woman were in love, it is presumed they share the same thoughts and society is quite the contrast from that and so by creating this additional character establishes someone who will challenge the ideals of the couple because they are an outsider however i is not explicit because they can still be intimate as a trio

then it escalates from there showing how society develops together to produce ideas however that it is a fundamental flaw that these people will start to attack each other; much like the school of thoughts in sociology from feminists to Marxists ect and how society naturally starts to become grotesque

Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home". Finally this is why we are here on this Earth (according to the bible) this planet is a proving ground to see if we are worthy of a place in heaven and so society is made in the image of satan to see if we develop morals and a sophisticated living system worthy to God and how we are trying to get back home (heaven) where we started off (Adam and Eve)

Sorry if this is really biblical (im not christian) but literature has so many connects with the bible so its impossible to like not make a connection ;-)
Sorry if this wasnt much help either

Thank you for your reply.

Your interpretation was very insightful, well thought out. Thank you :h:

Quick Reply

Latest