The Student Room Group

Do you need GCSEs to get into University?

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I'm home schooled at the moment and due to some personal issues I missed out on doing my GCSEs. If I do my GCSEs this year I would be a year behind so I was thinking about skipping my GCSEs and going straight to AS/A level. I've spoken to my teacher and she said that I could jump to A levels. It would work out better for me this way because instead of doing two A levels I could do four instead. I've checked the university course requirements and it didn't say anything about having GCSEs.

So, do you think I could skip them and still go to Uni?
I think you need English and maths GCSE
Original post by emmydoos

I'm home schooled at the moment and due to some personal issues I missed out on doing my GCSEs. If I do my GCSEs this year I would be a year behind so I was thinking about skipping my GCSEs and going straight to AS/A level. I've spoken to my teacher and she said that I could jump to A levels. It would work out better for me this way because instead of doing two A levels I could do four instead. I've checked the university course requirements and it didn't say anything about having GCSEs.

It all depends on what you want to do. A lot of courses require GCSE English Language and Maths at grade C for example , or if you want to do medicine universities use gcses as an academic indicator. It really depends on what university course you want to do
Reply 3
Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad
It all depends on what you want to do. A lot of courses require GCSE English Language and Maths at grade C for example , or if you want to do medicine universities use gcses as an academic indicator. It really depends on what university course you want to do

The A Levels I'm planning on doing are: English Language, History, German and Food Studies.
The University course I want to take is: German/History BA Honors Degree.

Most universities will have some minimum requirement like 'five GCSEs at grade C or above to include English Language and Maths.' I advise that you do your GCSEs this year -- the jump to A Level is not pleasant even for those who do well at GCSE so it's somewhat necessary, both for your own sake and for the sake of getting into universities.

Honestly, I would just definitely do English Language and Mathematics GCSE since it is something else that you have and most places, be it work or university, require C+ in these subjects. Employers think these are important.
Original post by Hydeman
Most universities will have some minimum requirement like 'five GCSEs at grade C or above to include English Language and Maths.' I advise that you do your GCSEs this year -- the jump to A Level is not pleasant even for those who do well at GCSE so it's somewhat necessary, both for your own sake and for the sake of getting into universities.

I would also recommend this (you could always make use of a "gap year" to make up for it), although note that universities usually have different expectations which GCSEs for home-schoolers, so some may be more lenient on you if you only have, say, two GCSEs. But I would certainly suggest that you take at least English Lit and Maths because of common entry requirements (plus because, while your A-levels would show that you're good at writing etc., they don't require much by way of maths skills, so it would be best if you got at least some form of maths qualification).
The A Levels I'm planning on doing are: English Language, History, German and Food Studies.
The University course I want to take is: German/History BA Honors Degree.

I personally think that you should do GCSE Maths and English as well as your A Levels ( english shouldn't be a problem seen as you're doing it to a level) but really if you can't be bothered ( Like when I start A Levels next year I definitely don't want the work load of GCSE and A Level together) you should e-mail some universities that you might be interested in applying to in the future , explaining your individual circumstances and what you're doing now and seeing whether they'd require you to do the GCSEs or not. You'll get some good advice on TSR , but if you want a definite solution email the universities! You don't want to do the gcses and then realise they weren't necessary , neither do you want to NOT do them and then realise you can't go to uni!

So yeah , just email some unis

Quick Reply

Latest