The Student Room Group

Guys, why would you offer your number instead of..

Long story short... I met a guy after work. The way he approached me was very random and I found him quite funny. I decided to stop and talk to him for a little while. He didn't beat around the bush and asked me if I was single, I said I was and he proceeded to ask me more questions. We spoke about the basics the areas we live in , where we work etc. We're both the same age and he made a joke about us having a connection since our names begin with the same letter.

Near the end of the conversation he offered me his number. This has never happened to me before. I've only ever asked for a guys number after he's asked for mine. I asked why he didn't want to take mine and he said ' do you want me to take yours?' his tone of voice changed here. I'm not sure what I make of his response. He didn't attempt to take his phone out though.

Anyway I said it was cool and I would take his number and I did. He said if I feel confident then I should give him a call, if not then I should send him a text. The fact he is questioning my confidence makes me want to call him to prove a point though lol.

So guys why would you offer your number instead of asking for theirs?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

That thing he said about confidence makes him a massive ego maniac.

#takesOneToKnowOne
So that you can make the decision as to whether or not to call him? It really doesn't make a difference as long as one of you has the other's number, and, so you know for the future, asking why he didn't take yours probably seemed a little rude (or at least it did to me)
confidence from him :wink:
Original post by Awesome Genius
That thing he said about confidence makes him a massive ego maniac.

#takesOneToKnowOne

If this is the case I'm not calling him lol. There's only so much one can take.

I kid
Original post by georgiaswift
So that you can make the decision as to whether or not to call him? It really doesn't make a difference as long as one of you has the other's number, and, so you know for the future, asking why he didn't take yours probably seemed a little rude (or at least it did to me)

I thought this initially then I started thinking he might have just wanted an ego boost and isn't actually that interested. I genuinely wanted to know why he insisted on me taking his number, like I said I'm used to guys asking for my number. I didn't mean to sound rude, it caught me off guard I guess.
Original post by shawn_o1
confidence from him :wink:

What do you mean?
See how hard it is to keep the posters interested phunky...see!

One day, when I'm gone from TSR, people will be like...ah man, that AG, he was such a kind, loving, intelligent guy - wish we hadn't given him such a hard time.
Reply 8
I have also said once for the girl to take my number but usually i take theirs.

No reason, I just asked her to take my number.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Probably because as a guy its a terrible feeling texting someone and not getting a reply

its far better to give someoen your number and leave the ball in their court
Original post by Awesome Genius
See how hard it is to keep the posters interested phunky...see!

One day, when I'm gone from TSR, people will be like...ah man, that AG, he was such a kind, loving, intelligent guy - wish we hadn't given him such a hard time.

Lol. So what are you saying your threads are merely for entertainment purposes? From what I can see your threads always get a look in. I don't feel like some of those words are at the top of the list when it comes to describing you. I'm not implying that they don't apply to you. I just think you should show these qualities a bit more.
Original post by slade p
I have also said once for the girl to take my number but usually i take theirs.

OK. Why did you decide to give her your number on this occasion?
Original post by James222
Probably because as a guy its a terrible feeling texting someone and not getting a reply

its far better to give someoen your number and leave the ball in their court

Hmm. I hear you. I just found it weird how confident he came across and then he decided to offer me his number. I wasn't sure if this was his way of boosting his ego. I guess i won't know until I get in touch with him.
Why is it assumed that he was insistent on you taking his phone number when he asked you if you'd give yours, once you said something about it?

Seems like he's doing the clever thing to me, he approached you, only right that he should give you something to contact him.

Plus what James222 said seems about right.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by phunky_fresh
Hmm. I hear you. I just found it weird how confident he came across and then he decided to offer me his number. I wasn't sure if this was his way of boosting his ego. I guess i won't know until I get in touch with him.

Is that how girls feel when they give out their numbers and receive calls/texts?
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Why is it assumed that he was insistent on you taking his phone number when he asked you if you'd give yours, once you complained?

Seems like he's doing the clever thing to me, he approached you, only right that he should give you something to contact him.

Plus what James222 said seems about right.

Its just the way he said '' do you want me to take yours?", it came across as if he was either surprised that I wanted to give him my number or he was checking I was 100% certain I wanted to give him my number.
Original post by phunky_fresh
Its just the way he said '' do you want me to take yours?", it came across as if he was either surprised that I wanted to give him my number or he was checking I was 100% certain I wanted to give him my number.

He might have thought that most girls do not like handing their numbers out to strangers due to privacy reasons, or he might have reasoned that if he were in your position, he would rather receive contact info.
Is that how girls feel when they give out their numbers and receive calls/texts?

Personally no. I hate giving out my number and I haven't done so in over a year. Its the fact this guy didn't ask for mine made me wonder why. I've met a few guys over the years and regretted giving them my number. I have come close to changing my number due to being bombarded with phonecalls and voice messages.

When I was younger it was a different story and I felt excited about meeting someone new. Nowadays I question alot and I probably overthink situations too much. I've offered to take a guys number instead of giving mines out and then I still worry about the outcome.
(edited 8 years ago)
Overconfidence dafa ka sale ko
He might have thought that most girls do not like handing their numbers out to strangers due to privacy reasons, or he might have reasoned that if he were in your position, he would rather receive contact info.

Its true, you're right . Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending