The Student Room Group

CAT: 4th November 2015

It's a bit late but here's a thread for discussion about the CAT on Wednesday!

Just as a reminder:

There are restrictions in place regarding what you are allowed to discuss here from 09:00 GMT on Wednesday 4th November to 17:00 GMT on Thursday 5th November. Any discussion referencing specific content in the exam is not allowed.

What is allowed:

"Just came out of the exam!"

"I found that exam really stressful!"

"Agh!!!"

What is not allowed:

"I thought Question 2 was particularly difficult!"

"That question about Plato was very easy!"

"What did you get for Part A?"

Good luck to everyone taking the test!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plagioclase
It's a bit late but here's a thread for discussion about the CAT on Wednesday!

Just as a reminder:

There are restrictions in place regarding what you are allowed to discuss here from 09:00 GMT on Wednesday 4th November to 17:00 GMT on Thursday 5th November. Any discussion referencing specific content in the exam is not allowed.

What is allowed:

"Just came out of the exam!"

"I found that exam really stressful!"

"Agh!!!"

What is not allowed:

"I thought Question 2 was particularly difficult!"

"That question about Plato was very easy!"

"What did you get for Part A?"

Good luck to everyone taking the test!

Did anyone else find it awful? :frown: how much weighting does CAT have in the whole process?
Reply 2
Original post by Phoebus Apollo
Did anyone else find it awful? :frown: how much weighting does CAT have in the whole process?

Found that so difficult! Hopefully not that much:frown:
Reply 3
Did you do the Lang Aptitude test??
Original post by hbteiddam

No I did the Latin test, what about you?
Hopefully not a lot, did you do the CLAT test, it was prety different from the mocks that I have done!!

I did and I ran out of frickin time :angry:
:mad:
Original post by johnny Keaveney
Hopefully not a lot, did you do the CLAT test, it was prety different from the mocks that I have done!!

No I did the Latin test - yeah the Latin translations were really strange and much more difficult/ longer than the specimen :frown:
Reply 8
Ugh I found it quite difficult... Almost ran out of time so ended up scribbling away without much thought towards the end :/
Original post by johnny Keaveney
I did and I ran out of frickin time :angry:
:mad:

So did I; I found section B especially way more complicated than in the practice tests...
Original post by martha ford
So did I; I found section B especially way more complicated than in the practice tests...

I thought the exact same thing! I think an hour is not enough time
It was ridiculously hard :frown: so much harder than any of the past papers I have seen. Literally all my Latin knowledge went out of the window in desperation to get any translation down
I did the language aptitude test. Didn't mind section B, but section A was painful! Was wondering if anyone knows when/where we can find our result?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bucklanda03
It was ridiculously hard :frown: so much harder than any of the past papers I have seen. Literally all my Latin knowledge went out of the window in desperation to get any translation down

I'm so glad to know someone feels the same as I do! It's such a shame at the end of the day because what are Oxford actually gaining from this except a load subpar, rushed translations (unless we are in the minority and most people found it easy) which are not necessarily a true reflection of your ability? I wish they gave more time, or at least made the extracts shorter :frown:
Original post by madsparrow
I did the language aptitude test. Didn't mind section B, but section A was painful! Was wondering if anyone knows when/where we can find our result?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you ever actually find out your result unfortunately
for the ELAT I got given a code/password thing to find out results eventually but didn't get one for the CLAT, so guessing we don't get to find out ?:
Reply 16
I don't think you ever actually find out your result unfortunately

for the ELAT I got given a code/password thing to find out results eventually but didn't get one for the CLAT, so guessing we don't get to find out ?:

You can find out your results if you ask for feedback from the college you applied to I think.
That CLAT was ridiculous!!! I couldn't work out the rules in section B plus there were extra translations compared to the specimen!! I'm so relieved that I wasn't the only person that struggled with it though
By the way, my friend did the OLAT and had the exact same Section B translation as us so have a look at their thread too!
I just think it's stupid. Why don't they just set an exam which is more challenging but is still possible for the calibre of candidate they wish to attract. By making it as hard as they do, it just means that someone who may be good at classics will look like they know nothing because it's so difficult. So they have the same problem of not being able to discern between good and bad candidates that they would have had if they'd set an exam of the same difficulty of our AS exam. The only people who will do well on a test of this difficulty are like child prodigies who are going to end up as Oxbridge classics professors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending