The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The.Joker
I feel so much calmer about the EL with Klopp in charge. When we had BR I never felt confident about being able to win and progressing to the latter stages. Plus in most of our EL games we rarely won decisively and could barely see the game out.

I'd love it if we won the EL this season, it'd be good in the long term so we can bump our UEFA coefficient up. Currently we are 54th. :/

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2009/liverpool-back-to-number-one-in-uefa-ranking/

We were ranked 1st once upon a time :moon:

EDIT: that must have been mid-season

For season end, we reached as high as 3rd (for 06/07, 07/08 and 08/09).
(edited 8 years ago)

Damn, look how quick things have changed in 6 years!
If anyone can restore us to our former glories it's Klopp. I cannot wait until the summer transfer window to see what gems he picks up. :daydreaming:
Original post by The.Joker
Damn, look how quick things have changed in 6 years!
If anyone can restore us to our former glories it's Klopp. I cannot wait until the summer transfer window to see what gems he picks up. :daydreaming:

Well between 2005-2010 we were taken pretty seriously in Europe. Now we're almost laughing stocks.
I'd line-up with Mignolet; Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno; Lucas, Can, Milner; Firmino, Lallana; Benteke.
Original post by Zerforax
Well between 2005-2010 we were taken pretty seriously in Europe. Now we're almost laughing stocks.

strong understanding of the definition of almost
Original post by swirly
strong understanding of the definition of almost

It's only Arsenal fans on their high horse of their R16 record in the CL who really care. Oh wait seems like that record is about to go out of the window too.

Come back when you've won a European trophy.
It's only Arsenal fans on their high horse of their R16 record in the CL who really care. Oh wait seems like that record is about to go out of the window too.

Come back when you've won a European trophy.

dont talk about European trophies. Talk about net European trophies.
Original post by swirly
dont talk about European trophies. Talk about net European trophies.

I think it's a net +8

But hey, at least your bank balance is bigger?
I think it's a net +8

But hey, at least your bank balance is bigger?

cute.

6 more than Nottingham Forrest.
Original post by Mackay
I'd line-up with Mignolet; Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno; Lucas, Can, Milner; Firmino, Lallana; Benteke.

This.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
This.

I'd be tempted to rest Milner because he's played so much football, but I guess his absence from Bournemouth will do him the world of good.
To be honest I think I'd give Benteke 30 mins or 45 mins in the second half. Much rather he was able to play the full 90 minutes on Sunday.

Bogdan; Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno; Allen, Can, Milner; Ibe, Lallana; Origi.

With Lucas on for Can, Benteke on for Origi and Firmino on for Lallana at 45/60 minutes.
To be honest I think I'd give Benteke 30 mins or 45 mins in the second half. Much rather he was able to play the full 90 minutes on Sunday.

Bogdan; Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno; Allen, Can, Milner; Ibe, Lallana; Origi.

With Lucas on for Can, Benteke on for Origi and Firmino on for Lallana at 45/60 minutes.

Clyne needs a breather....
Original post by DiceTheSlice
Clyne needs a breather....

True but with Gomez injured, we don't have a backup fullback for either position. Or we've got to look at our youth players.
I'm glad Klopp has shut the door on these rumours of Gerrard returning as a player.

His style isn't suited to Klopp's high-pressing, full-throttle and 'heavy metal' football. He was shoehorned into a team for us for far too long, and we don't need that situation arising by him pulling on a LFC shirt again.

That said, his presence should still be felt at the club. You have to say that, currently, Everton have a better system for picking out local homegrown talent and surely that would change if Gerrard had scouting duties or a say in the Academy/at Melwood?

Imagine if Gerrard knocks on your door and asks you to come and play for Liverpool, like Everton's scouts did to Wayne Rooney after he came and trained with us. Any young talented kid wouldn't say no.
Original post by Mackay
I'm glad Klopp has shut the door on these rumours of Gerrard returning as a player.

His style isn't suited to Klopp's high-pressing, full-throttle and 'heavy metal' football. He was shoehorned into a team for us for far too long, and we don't need that situation arising by him pulling on a LFC shirt again.

That said, his presence should still be felt at the club. You have to say that, currently, Everton have a better system for picking out local homegrown talent and surely that would change if Gerrard had scouting duties or a say in the Academy/at Melwood?

Imagine if Gerrard knocks on your door and asks you to come and play for Liverpool, like Everton's scouts did to Wayne Rooney after he came and trained with us. Any young talented kid wouldn't say no.

I don't think LA Galaxy would release him either. They signed him on a presumably sizable contract so can't afford to lose him or not be fully match ready for their new season.

Although it would probably destroy Stevie if we won the league this year :colondollar:

Yes we need to make the most out of Gerrard since he's likely to keep the closest links and has the biggest name/reputation. I can't see him being a pundit like Carragher to be honest.

Decent TAW article on our coming fixtures and how we're not in a terrible position in the league/EL/cups

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/11/liverpool-unwrapped-from-despair-to-where-what-does-the-season-now-hold-for-the-reds/
We are very short on our fullbacks, even Randall has joined the Sturridge club and been left out of todays squad.
Original post by samir12
We are very short on our fullbacks, even Randall has joined the Sturridge club and been left out of todays squad.

Rodgers at fault for not buying another fullback in the summer. We started the new season with:

- Clyne
- Moreno
- Gomez (who had only started to impress in pre-season)
- Enrique (professional instagrammer these days)
- Flanagan (due to be out for at least half the season and may not be the same player after such serious injuries and time out of the game)

And then we sent Wisdom out on loan too.
We still have Enrique :colondollar:
I don't think LA Galaxy would release him either. They signed him on a presumably sizable contract so can't afford to lose him or not be fully match ready for their new season.

Although it would probably destroy Stevie if we won the league this year :colondollar:

Yes we need to make the most out of Gerrard since he's likely to keep the closest links and has the biggest name/reputation. I can't see him being a pundit like Carragher to be honest.

He has struggled at LA Galaxy. That miscommunication with the goalkeeper to concede that key goal (against Seattle, I think?) was poor, and he has openly admitted that he's struggled with the travelling and adapting to high altitudes etc.

He really shouldn't be flying back to London to be a pundit on BT Sport, either. That can't help his fitness and acclimatising to a new league system.

Latest