The Student Room Group

Reasons why I hate my life

Male, 30. Here are the reasons I hate my life. Any comments welcome.

1 - I have mental health issues, including severe OCD, depression, anxiety, paranoia, insecurity, and aspergers syndrome. These things battle it out every day and make functioning extremely difficult for me
2 - I am overweight and have stretch marks
3 - I have been called ugly lots in the past. Don't know if this is true or not
4 - I've hardly had any gfs. And the 2 I have had - 1 is now a lesbian and the other left me for my best friend
5 - I keep thinking women hate me, thus suffering from overgeneralisation
6 - I am 30 years old and I still post here
7 - I am 30 years old and I feel like I have missed out on the prime of my life (20's) in terms of relationships and being attractive to the opposite sex
8 - Women ignore me frequently, even when I have a good heart
9 - I don't like sex. So even if a miracle happened and I found a girl, I wouldn't even be able to have sex with her, and because most people require sex in a relationship, this makes it much more difficult for me
10 - Everything is magnified. For example, if something bad happens to me, it will feel like the worst thing in the world
11 - I frequently worry about things I do not even know the answer to
12 - Even though I enjoy my job (it's the only thing that's keeping me going) it is only voluntary, and people around me are being critical, saying that I should have a paid job somewhere instead. But I am settled into my voluntary work, don't want to complicate the money I'm getting, and don't want to risk things with taking temporary/unfixed work. Plus every other job I've ever had has been a terrible experience in which I have been criticised heavily and told I am terrible at the jobs
13 - My uni experience was ruined by 1 guy in our social group being horrible to me every day for 3+ years
14 - I only kissed 2 girls at uni, and they both seemed to be doing it as a joke/dare
15 - I don't get invited to things anymore
16 - I am not even allowed to vent my feelings on facebook, because when I do, some people don't like to hear it and it makes me feel terrible. And I also worry what people might think
17 - MY OCD is that controlling that I can't even do simple things without having to go through enormous rituals. Which makes it painfully exhausting. I can't even chill out to a film. Or a computer game. Nothing
18 - I have family issues. Both me and my brother have mental health problems. My mum is always stressed. My dad died in 2010
19 - I have a musical talent and am a songwriter. But it seems like nobody cares. I've had some compliments before, so maybe I should be happy about that, but I don't seem to have much of a following, and it makes me feel under-appreciated
20 - My favourite things in media tend to be the unpopular ones. For example my favourite bond film is one that most people hate. So I'm too embarassed to tell people
21 - I only get sexual gratification about 1 thing, and 1 thing only. Women farting. I've never told anyone this. Because I know it is weird and unacceptable
22 - I am on weight-loss medication which gives me anal leakage, which in turn makes me feel even more unattractive. However, I realise this is only a temporary thing
23 - Facebook manages with my loneliness
24 - I can become obsessed with people I barely know, for example develop huge crushes
25 - I am a kind, good-hearted person, but it just seems like everybody has something against me
26 - I let things define me - things that have happened to me
27 - I am obsessed with my grades, even at age 30
28 - At uni, one of the girls let all the guys into her room, and all the girls were playing a kissing game with all the guys. I was not invited into the room, nor was I let in. This makes me feel ugly/unattractive
29 - My ex gf told me she never found me attractive in the first place. And she is now with my best friend, so I am constantly reminded of it all
30 - I have a skin condition inwhich my hands flare up in the summer. So I cannot even go out to enjoy the sunshine properly in the summer, otherwise this will happen
31 - My hair is too thick and unmanageable
32 - I can't enjoy anything properly, because whatever I'm doing, my mental health issues take control too much, for example the OCD
33 - Everything has to make sense. If I don't know the answer to whatever is bothering me, I cannot function until I know
34 - I have to imagine my own happiness. The happiest I ever am is when I am lying in bed, fantasising about my make-believe life
35 - Everyone expects me to 'man up' and be happy, but what they don't realise is, they take for granted everything I myself do not have

There are probably even more reasons why I hate my life. But I will stop here.

Scroll to see replies

Are there any why you kinda like your life and are still with us on Earth? You can't be sad if you've never been happy...
Don't be conceited. We all are capable of these things and for that you must feel something whether hate, love or anger to be able to experience these things you should be grateful. Pain is only imagined. I am a self proclaimed sufferer of depression and i can still wake up every day. I hate everything my family my friends school. And most of all the universe which devised such a heinous plan of probablity and equilibrim. Everything is just built of luck and chances. To be spiteful does not mean you cant be happy. You should find someone who appreciates you. This world is a social one and so you must conform in one way or another to suceed (socially). You can be one of them cliches only care about yourself or hippies as i hear the phrase. But every one of these people have done something conform. As long as your someone worthy of being a real person with hopes and faith( doesn't mean religion)
something may sprout. Hope you may have a different outlook on life soon.
Don't listen to the *******s that yell you to 'get over it'

First things first, you aren't alone. A lot of us on here feel the same as you. Like we've been dealt the worst cards in life and the universe is just against us.
You know when you get thoughts like this and you just can't imagine waking up the next morning and the idea of even having to face the world is just absolutely discouraging?
A lot of people will tell you it gets better. Nah not really. 'It' doesn't get better. You get better. At dealing with life's bull****. Because life is always going to find a way to screw you over. Life has it's good times and **** times. Bad things won't just stop happening to you and life won't just suddenly become a bed of roses. The plus is at least you know how to deal with it when life takes a turn for the worst. Happiness is wily emotion. Don't search for it. It will find you.

Everytime I cry myself to sleep and promise I'll end it all the next day, I wake up the next morning like 'nah, I've managed to make it these past four years . I can probably make it one more day'
And everyday I get stronger and better at dealing with it.
So even when life is absolute **** and you are having a depressive episode just think to yourself 'yeah things may be crap but I am stronger than this and I've made it so far'
Think about how pearls are made. The process/feeling is never pleasant but you always get something beautiful in the end
I recommend the song float on by modest mouse :smile:
It has gotten me through my roughest nights.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

1 - I have mental health issues, including severe OCD, depression, anxiety, paranoia, insecurity, and aspergers syndrome. These things battle it out every day and make functioning extremely difficult for me
4 - I've hardly had any gfs. And the 2 I have had - 1 is now a lesbian and the other left me for my best friend
7 - I am 30 years old and I feel like I have missed out on the prime of my life (20's) in terms of relationships and being attractive to the opposite sex
9 - I don't like sex. So even if a miracle happened and I found a girl, I wouldn't even be able to have sex with her, and because most people require sex in a relationship, this makes it much more difficult for me
10 - Everything is magnified. For example, if something bad happens to me, it will feel like the worst thing in the world
12 - Even though I enjoy my job (it's the only thing that's keeping me going) it is only voluntary, and people around me are being critical, saying that I should have a paid job somewhere instead. But I am settled into my voluntary work, don't want to complicate the money I'm getting, and don't want to risk things with taking temporary/unfixed work. Plus every other job I've ever had has been a terrible experience in which I have been criticised heavily and told I am terrible at the jobs
13 - My uni experience was ruined by 1 guy in our social group being horrible to me every day for 3+ years
14 - I only kissed 2 girls at uni, and they both seemed to be doing it as a joke/dare
16 - I am not even allowed to vent my feelings on facebook, because when I do, some people don't like to hear it and it makes me feel terrible. And I also worry what people might think
17 - MY OCD is that controlling that I can't even do simple things without having to go through enormous rituals. Which makes it painfully exhausting. I can't even chill out to a film. Or a computer game. Nothing
18 - I have family issues. Both me and my brother have mental health problems. My mum is always stressed. My dad died in 2010
19 - I have a musical talent and am a songwriter. But it seems like nobody cares. I've had some compliments before, so maybe I should be happy about that, but I don't seem to have much of a following, and it makes me feel under-appreciated
20 - My favourite things in media tend to be the unpopular ones. For example my favourite bond film is one that most people hate. So I'm too embarassed to tell people
21 - I only get sexual gratification about 1 thing, and 1 thing only. Women farting. I've never told anyone this. Because I know it is weird and unacceptable
22 - I am on weight-loss medication which gives me anal leakage, which in turn makes me feel even more unattractive. However, I realise this is only a temporary thing
24 - I can become obsessed with people I barely know, for example develop huge crushes
25 - I am a kind, good-hearted person, but it just seems like everybody has something against me
28 - At uni, one of the girls let all the guys into her room, and all the girls were playing a kissing game with all the guys. I was not invited into the room, nor was I let in. This makes me feel ugly/unattractive
29 - My ex gf told me she never found me attractive in the first place. And she is now with my best friend, so I am constantly reminded of it all
30 - I have a skin condition inwhich my hands flare up in the summer. So I cannot even go out to enjoy the sunshine properly in the summer, otherwise this will happen
32 - I can't enjoy anything properly, because whatever I'm doing, my mental health issues take control too much, for example the OCD
33 - Everything has to make sense. If I don't know the answer to whatever is bothering me, I cannot function until I know
34 - I have to imagine my own happiness. The happiest I ever am is when I am lying in bed, fantasising about my make-believe life
35 - Everyone expects me to 'man up' and be happy, but what they don't realise is, they take for granted everything I myself do not have

1) mental health problems aren't always life long. They can get better, and even if you always have them, your symptoms can get to the stage where they are more manageable. Many, if not most, truly great artists, writers and musicians have suffered from a mental health problem at some point.

2) If your weight is bothering you, try to eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. Olive oil can greatly reduce the appearance of stretch marks.

3) you aren't ugly. It's the people who call you that who are. They are bullies and absolutely vile. It isn't true. Never believe that you are ugly. Not even for a second.

4) The number of girlfriends you have had is no indication of the quality of person you are. Dating lots of women will never make you happy.

5) women don't hate you. You have been unlucky in love thus far, but who knows? Next week you could meet the love of your life.

6) And? Many people older than you post here. It is the sort of site that is very hard to leave!

7) You haven't missed out on the prime of your life. Casual relationships are really not that great. You still have a lot of life left to lead.

8) They don't know what they're missing.

9) Many women don't like sex. I'm a sex indifferent asexual, so someone who doesn't like sex is preferable to someone who does. Romantic relationships don't have to include sex to be healthy and fulfilling. You weren't just doing it wrong.

10) when something bad happens, take a step back and think: why is it bad? What can I do to make it better? Breathe deeply. If you feel anxious, I find counting backwards from 20 in French helps as it focuses the mind on something else.

11) see above. Also, distract yourself. I find reading books helps.

12) If your job makes you happy, stick with it. Nobody else has to live your life. Ignore the people who tell you to get a paid job. Although, if you want one, try looking for similar jobs. Tell the place you work for that if they have any paid vacancies for your job, could they please tell you.

13) Sorry about that. It's sad that your uni experience was ruined by a dickhead.

14) Again, sorry about that. Kissing loads of girls isn't the be all and end all of uni.

15) Try getting involved in a social group for something that your interested in. Facebook will have some on, I'm sure

16) try venting to a diary. That way it is completely secret, nobody else can criticise you. You can write down anything with no fear of being judged. If ever you really need to talk to someone, call samaritans. Feel free to PM me whenever.

17) I urge you to talk to a mental health professional. I am not a qualified mental health professional so I won't give you advice. The charity Mind can help. Go to your GP. They will be best placed to refer you to NHS mental health services.

18) I am really sorry to hear that. Try to offer your brother and mother support, and have them support you. It seems like you all need professional help and support.

19) Musical talent and fame don't go hand in hand. Jeff Buckley died virtually unknown, as did Eva Cassidy. Take it as a sign of talent. Try posting songs on YouTube. I'm not an expert in the music industry though.

20) Just because you have an unpopular opinion, doesn't mean that you're wrong. Don't be embarrassed to tell people. Most will either not care or use it to have a particularly geeky argument.

21) Unusual, but not unacceptable. You don't have to tell anyone if you don't want to.

22) Go to your GP for advice. You aren't unattractive due to a side effect of medication.

23) Use social media to find social groups. It's good that you feel it helps you though.

24) I think most people can. Think about the obsessions people have with celebrities.

25) I think this is probably a symptom of your depression. Discuss this with a mental health professional for further advice.

26) I think we are all defined by our pasts. We can control our futures though. Focus on how you can change your past into something good.

27) Probably a symptom of your OCD so discuss this with a professional.

28) You aren't ugly. She just sounds like a shallow person.

29) Ignore her. I'm asexual so I'm probably not the best person to give advice on attraction given that I never feel it. She may have been romantically attracted to you but not sexually attracted if that makes any sense.

30) Consult with your doctor. Have you tried using a total sunblock. This prevents all UV light from reaching the skin.

31) Have it cut short. I personally prefer thick hair, but mine is very fine so I think it's just a case of always wanting what you can't have!

32) I probably sound like a stuck record now, but seek professional advice.

33) Probably a symptom of your OCD so seek professional advice.

34) Try to think about how you can get your dream life. To quote Albus Dumbledore "it doesn't do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" you will be happy someday.

35) The people who expect that are ar**holes. Ignore them.

Hope this helps!
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

:laugh:
Reply 6

I can't solve all off your issues and i can't become your answers. However I have an open mind and I am here.
Reply 7
Original post by Katty3
1) mental health problems aren't always life long. They can get better, and even if you always have them, your symptoms can get to the stage where they are more manageable. Many, if not most, truly great artists, writers and musicians have suffered from a mental health problem at some point.

2) If your weight is bothering you, try to eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. Olive oil can greatly reduce the appearance of stretch marks.

3) you aren't ugly. It's the people who call you that who are. They are bullies and absolutely vile. It isn't true. Never believe that you are ugly. Not even for a second.

4) The number of girlfriends you have had is no indication of the quality of person you are. Dating lots of women will never make you happy.

5) women don't hate you. You have been unlucky in love thus far, but who knows? Next week you could meet the love of your life.

6) And? Many people older than you post here. It is the sort of site that is very hard to leave!

7) You haven't missed out on the prime of your life. Casual relationships are really not that great. You still have a lot of life left to lead.

8) They don't know what they're missing.

9) Many women don't like sex. I'm a sex indifferent asexual, so someone who doesn't like sex is preferable to someone who does. Romantic relationships don't have to include sex to be healthy and fulfilling. You weren't just doing it wrong.

10) when something bad happens, take a step back and think: why is it bad? What can I do to make it better? Breathe deeply. If you feel anxious, I find counting backwards from 20 in French helps as it focuses the mind on something else.

11) see above. Also, distract yourself. I find reading books helps.

12) If your job makes you happy, stick with it. Nobody else has to live your life. Ignore the people who tell you to get a paid job. Although, if you want one, try looking for similar jobs. Tell the place you work for that if they have any paid vacancies for your job, could they please tell you.

13) Sorry about that. It's sad that your uni experience was ruined by a dickhead.

14) Again, sorry about that. Kissing loads of girls isn't the be all and end all of uni.

15) Try getting involved in a social group for something that your interested in. Facebook will have some on, I'm sure

16) try venting to a diary. That way it is completely secret, nobody else can criticise you. You can write down anything with no fear of being judged. If ever you really need to talk to someone, call samaritans. Feel free to PM me whenever.

17) I urge you to talk to a mental health professional. I am not a qualified mental health professional so I won't give you advice. The charity Mind can help. Go to your GP. They will be best placed to refer you to NHS mental health services.

18) I am really sorry to hear that. Try to offer your brother and mother support, and have them support you. It seems like you all need professional help and support.

19) Musical talent and fame don't go hand in hand. Jeff Buckley died virtually unknown, as did Eva Cassidy. Take it as a sign of talent. Try posting songs on YouTube. I'm not an expert in the music industry though.

20) Just because you
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. 20-35 are missing, could you post those? Ok if not
Reply 8
Original post by hihihihihi
:laugh:

Yeah I knew number 21 would make people laugh. It does seem funny, but trust me, being the one who feels this way is not a nice feeling
Reply 9
Thanks for the advice. 20-35 are missing, could you post those? Ok if not

Posted. I hit submit before I was ready sorry! Ah the joys of TSR mobile!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
If we were all bothered I'm sure we can come up with our own lists on why we hate/dislike part of our lives. I think your problem is you are focusing on the negative aspects of your life there is a lack of optimism in you. Also you seem to be relying on others affection to make yourself happy and constantly comparing your experiences with theirs , stop doing that you had an issue with this person or that person in the past well so what? Move on. Stop living in the past l you cannot do nothing about the past think of the present and look forward and don't use this OCD as some excuse. Many people in life have to deal with some sort of illness and yes this causes stress , this affects ones life but you have to keep looking forward because otherwise you will just constantly indulge in the negative aspects and life can't be all negative.

Reading your list I wouldn't even think you are 30 and I'm not saying that to be rude, just being honest it's constant whining and it's not a good look. To be honest though I'm not gonna go hard on you too much but at the same time I will not just be kind not to hurt your feelings, you are human like anyone else and sometimes it's just good to hear some honesty.

Don't try to fight all your battles at once take it in steps , know who you are , try and love yourself and improve yourself slowly. We can only be ourselves in life and no one else, it's when we lie to ourselves that problems happen, don't look down on yourself cause you have problems you aren't the only one.
Original post by Katty3
Posted. I hit submit before I was ready sorry! Ah the joys of TSR mobile!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for taking your time to help
Original post by Mancini
don't use this OCD as some excuse.

I didn't think I was, but I am diagnosed with it and it is a real thing so I was just saying it is causing a lot of my issues

Original post by Mancini

Reading your list I wouldn't even think you are 30 and I'm not saying that to be rude, just being honest it's constant whining and it's not a good look.

I don't seem my age. I know that. I am mentally very young. I am probably a slow-developer. Whining may not be a good look, but that's why I've done this anonymously, and not on facebook for instance. Because I know people hate whining. But when you are truly fed up and depressed, sometimes you've gotta whine. Which is reminding me of point 16 on my list.
Reply 13
I don't seem my age. I know that. I am mentally very young. I am probably a slow-developer. Whining may not be a good look, but that's why I've done this anonymously, and not on facebook for instance. Because I know people hate whining. But when you are truly fed up and depressed, sometimes you've gotta whine. Which is reminding me of point 16 on my list.

Yeah I understand , you are releasing some energy it's like hitting a punching bag I get it. However, why not instead of whining use this negative energy you're dealing with and become more optimistic about life. Instead of spending your time and energy whining , spend your time and energy doing things you enjoy, things that make you smile and bring joy to your heart. Too much time spent on negativity is time wasted and times precious, you won't get it back.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Thanks for taking your time to help

It's OK. Just ignore the other posters. You aren't whining. You are genuinely going through a terrible time and dealing with a lot. If you want to vent, pm me. I promise to listen and offer solutions as best I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look, I bet every single person on this earth can list the same number of problems, some will be exactly the same problems as you.

But their answers will be different. Learn to deal with the issues or leave it. Don't let them corrupt you. Seek help, if required. We all require assistance from time to time. Good luck.
Original post by StrawbAri
Don't listen to the *******s that yell you to 'get over it'

First things first, you aren't alone. A lot of us on here feel the same as you. Like we've been dealt the worst cards in life and the universe is just against us.
You know when you get thoughts like this and you just can't imagine waking up the next morning and the idea of even having to face the world is just absolutely discouraging?
A lot of people will tell you it gets better. Nah not really. 'It' doesn't get better. You get better. At dealing with life's bull****. Because life is always going to find a way to screw you over. Life has it's good times and **** times. Bad things won't just stop happening to you and life won't just suddenly become a bed of roses. The plus is at least you know how to deal with it when life takes a turn for the worst. Happiness is wily emotion. Don't search for it. It will find you.

Everytime I cry myself to sleep and promise I'll end it all the next day, I wake up the next morning like 'nah, I've managed to make it these past four years . I can probably make it one more day'
And everyday I get stronger and better at dealing with it.
So even when life is absolute **** and you are having a depressive episode just think to yourself 'yeah things may be crap but I am stronger than this and I've made it so far'
Think about how pearls are made. The process/feeling is never pleasant but you always get something beautiful in the end
I recommend the song float on by modest mouse :smile:
It has gotten me through my roughest nights.
im impressed youre trying to help him

cute xD

look guys if I can meet great people and befriend them and more you can too!!

Ive been there too x keep faith x also if youre really down give us a buzz.happy to talk x
Original post by trustmeimlying1
im impressed youre trying to help him

cute xD

look guys if I can meet great people and befriend them and more you can too!!

Ive been there too x keep faith x also if youre really down give us a buzz.happy to talk x

Really? why do you say so? :redface:
I try my best I guess :smile:
Original post by StrawbAri
Really? why do you say so? :redface:
I try my best I guess :smile:

yeh sure youre a decent person and all that

real lovely to see. just the way yeh type haha come across the cutsey type p
Original post by Mancini
If we were all bothered I'm sure we can come up with our own lists on why we hate/dislike part of our lives.

-Social Anxiety
-Social Anxiety
-Social Anxiety
-Social Anxiety
-Social Anxiety
-Social Anxiety
-Social Anxiety
-Social Anxiety
-Social Anxiety
-Social Anxiety
-Social Anxiety
-Social Anxiety