The Student Room Group

Can my age affect my chance of getting a job?

Hi there.
I took a gap year after my secondary school due to some health issues and, while on gap year, I applied to some UK universities and eventually got into my first choice (and my dream uni). And then, three weeks before the start of the course, my parents told me that they don't actually feel like paying for my studies, that they feel worried about me and they don't want me to study abroad. As I'm not British, I'm not eligible to apply for a maintenance loan and without financial support from my parents, I have no other way to get the money which would allow me to study in the UK. So I deferred entry at my dream uni, enrolled into a course at a uni in my home country, got a job and started saving money and I plan on starting my studies in the UK next year...

But now I have some doubts as I feel that these actually 2 years (I don't really know if you can write in your CV a single year at uni if you haven't completed a degree) may have an impact on me getting a good job in the future.
Will it actually matter to my future employer whether I've finished my studies aged 23 or 24?
Reply 1
Nope. They know people take different paths to the same point and that's ok so long as none of the reasons for why you did it that way make you seem like a bad potential employee
Original post by BKS
Nope. They know people take different paths to the same point and that's ok so long as none of the reasons for why you did it that way make you seem like a bad potential employee

What do you mean by a bad potential employee?
I don't see why being 23 or 24 out of university would make a difference, in itself.
No, of course not.
Reply 5
Original post by Anna_G
What do you mean by a bad potential employee?

Things that aren’t just circumstance but instead make you look like you have negative qualities- not committing, unreliable etc.

TBH, even if the truth doesn’t make you look great, you can be selective in how you present the facts

Quick Reply

Latest