The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LamantChenille
Ah, I hope I find out by then. I just want to get on with things now.

Hopefully they don't do that thing where they don't tell you if you've been rejected until pretty late because that's probably one of the most frustrating things they can do to a desperate applicant
Reply 4201
Original post by Karina_xo
I'm also applying for human sciences! Glad to have finally found other people hahaaa

I went to the open day however they didn't really mention it, I think since this is the first year human science applicants have to sit the TSA they maybe don't know exactly how they're going to view it until they get the results in :\\\

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm Human Sciences too!! I dint know anyone else who's applying for it so it's cool to see there are a few of us on here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MegaJake
Has anyone here applied for PPE at Balliol and if so how did you find the TSA?

PPE at Exeter and I thought it was pretty okay, similar in difficulty to 2014.
Original post by busterposey
yeah I know hahahaha it was so bad. I thought the phrasing, about what we can understand about his worldview was so complex and difficult to engage with, I prefer a straight-up 'what can we learn about society'.

Based on your personal experience and what others have said, do you feel that it was much worse than the other ones? As in the grade boundries or whatever will be lower?

Omf Ikr because I was trying to write about limitations of the source but that q made it so bloody difficult!! Well personally, I found it less straightforward, certainly in terms of the second source question. To me that read more like the 2004 (or 2006? Can't remember) source Q about Iceland which was so random. It was so dense! But maybe that's just me lol
Might ring up Oxford and play Rolling in the Deep down the line. "We could've had it all" is definitely my mentality right about now.
Original post by oliverdobbs
PPE at Exeter and I thought it was pretty okay, similar in difficulty to 2014.

Agreed, hopefully same sort of score conversions.
Original post by not you
Hopefully they don't do that thing where they don't tell you if you've been rejected until pretty late because that's probably one of the most frustrating things they can do to a desperate applicant

Ergh, I'm shuddering even thinking about it.
Original post by binnsm
Hi I applied for Law at Brasenose also, you're the first person I've seen!

I've applied for Law at Brasenose too! :-)
I'm going insane about the written work for the English part of my chosen course. I'm in the French school system and all of my essays are around 1000 words. I don't even have enough content to write 2000 pages, we worked on four literary themes last year and then discussed texts. I really have no idea what to do, there is no way I can write 2000 words about something I've seen in English lit.
Original post by thehollowcrown
Omf Ikr because I was trying to write about limitations of the source but that q made it so bloody difficult!! Well personally, I found it less straightforward, certainly in terms of the second source question. To me that read more like the 2004 (or 2006? Can't remember) source Q about Iceland which was so random. It was so dense! But maybe that's just me lol

It sounds like we had a really similar exam experience hahaha, although I'm impressed you got in a bit about source limitation. That'll look really good, well done!

I hope you do really well!
Original post by LamantChenille
I feel like I might be saying goodbye to this thread soon, if the MLAT and OLAT are anything to go by...
I mean, they weren't awful, I just know that I've messed up on stupid things and that other people will have done way better than me. I doubt I'll even get an interview. :frown:

I'm feeling the same with the OLAT - just panicked and didn't even answer all the questions. :/
The Oxford history department States written work should be around 1500 words, however the only piece of written work I have done this year in history is around 800 words as that is as far as our class has covered and as it was a timed essay, all we had time to write.
Would this be acceptable?
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sherlockie
The Oxford history department States written work should be around 1500 words, however the only piece of written work I have done this year in history is around 800 words as that is as far as our class has covered and as it was a timed essay, all we had time to write.
Would this be acceptable?
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm also going crazy over this word thing. It says that it shouldn't be more than 2000 words for my course so everyone is telling me that it should exactly be 2000 words. Helppppppp.
Original post by tamara98
I'm also going crazy over this word thing. It says that it shouldn't be more than 2000 words for my course so everyone is telling me that it should exactly be 2000 words. Helppppppp.

That's not true, it doesn't have to be 2000 words; that's the maximum. I have spoken to many people who are submitting essays of 500-1500 words so trust me you won't be the only one who didn't write 1999 words! Don't worry too much about that. Quality over quantity, remember.
Hi guys,
I have to send a (maximum) 2000 word essay to Somerville (I'm applying to do English). The essay I want to send is 2050 words, do you think it matters if I'm 50 words over? The essay I've chosen is my English coursework from last year and it has the word count at the bottom (as well as my teacher's markings all over it) so I can't retype it or cut some out.

Please help!! Thanks so much x
Original post by claudiar99
Hi guys,
I have to send a (maximum) 2000 word essay to Somerville (I'm applying to do English). The essay I want to send is 2050 words, do you think it matters if I'm 50 words over? The essay I've chosen is my English coursework from last year and it has the word count at the bottom (as well as my teacher's markings all over it) so I can't retype it or cut some out.

Please help!! Thanks so much x

Hello Miss
I think you should ask that question directly to the college. That's the only way to be sure of an answer.
No one takes the responsibility of their reply on TSR.

Good Luck :smile:
Original post by snowflake39
That's not true, it doesn't have to be 2000 words; that's the maximum. I have spoken to many people who are submitting essays of 500-1500 words so trust me you won't be the only one who didn't write 1999 words! Don't worry too much about that. Quality over quantity, remember.

+1.

No it doesn't. Mine is around 1500-1750 words long. The 2000 words is the maximum number of words your essay can have. Just make sure your essay has content, ie,an analysis in it rather than an explanation of the poem/story/drama or whichever topic you're centering on.
I'm going insane about the written work for the English part of my chosen course. I'm in the French school system and all of my essays are around 1000 words. I don't even have enough content to write 2000 pages, we worked on four literary themes last year and then discussed texts. I really have no idea what to do, there is no way I can write 2000 words about something I've seen in English lit.

My longest music essay was c.600 words, I had to write up 2 from scratch. The music faculty said that my essays had to be around 1500 words each, but not more than 2000 (I did 1452 and 1480).
Course: Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular)

College: Queen's

GCSE grades: 5 A* 3 A 1 C

AS grades: AAA

A2 grades (predicted): AAA

I sent my application to UCAS around 15th October, received acknowledgement from Queen's. Best part is that I don't have to take an admissions test for my course! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending