The Student Room Group

Guys, why would you offer your number instead of..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phunky_fresh
Personally no. I hate giving out my number and I haven't done so in over a year. I've met a few guys over the years and regretted giving them my number. I have come close to changing my number due to being bombarded with phonecalls and voice messages.

When I was younger it was a different story and I felt excited about meeting someone new. Nowadays I question alot and I probably overthink situations too much. I've offered to take a guys number instead of giving mines out and then I still worry about the outcome.

Why are you so suspicious that he gave you his contact details then?

Most likely he was doing it for your sake.

Looks like a good thing to do.
Original post by physicst
Overconfidence dafa ka sale ko

Not sure what the last part means. I did question if he was over confident though.
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Why are you so suspicious that he gave you his contact details then?

Most likely he was doing it for your sake.

Looks like a good thing to do.

Lol. I overthink e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. I don't know why I do this to myself.
Lol. I overthink e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. I don't know why I do this to myself.

He's right though. I do this as well and if a girl told me off for being "overconfident", I'd be very confused.
Not sure what the last part means. I did question if he was over confident though.

last words means ignored him . Yes he seems too much over confidence imo
Original post by Awesome Genius
That thing he said about confidence makes him a massive ego maniac.

#takesOneToKnowOne

Just like you then, eh?
Never really understood giving numbers out , no clue.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Never really understood giving numbers out , no clue.

Is this sarcasm? Or?...
Is this sarcasm? Or?...

I was being serious :frown: and you took it for a joke.
I was being serious :frown: and you took it for a joke.

Sorry I was unsure. So how do you go about getting to know someone you've just met?
you're massively over thinking.
Sorry I was unsure. So how do you go about getting to know someone you've just met?

Meet people? getting to know them??

What are these things?

i don't meet people , ways of a recluse :P

In all seriousness , i personally don't take numbers down for religious reasons , sucks to reject girls though.
I thought this initially then I started thinking he might have just wanted an ego boost and isn't actually that interested. I genuinely wanted to know why he insisted on me taking his number, like I said I'm used to guys asking for my number. I didn't mean to sound rude, it caught me off guard I guess.

One of my friends said you should always give a girl your number instead of the other way round, it was part of his pua thing, the idea is women usually have most of the control, you make her contact you and it swings things more in your favour. Not saying this guy is doing that, but it is a thing apparently.

I always just said "give me your number and I'll razz you, so you have mine". Equal, innit?
I usually do this now tbh. I'd rather the ball is in her court. If she's interested, she'll text me, if not, o well.
The only time I offer my number instead of exchanging both ways is if she is attractive enough for quick sex but not enough to expend effort to pursue. So if I get a message it shows her dedication and if I don't then it's no biggie.
Reply 36
it's a good way to find out if the stranger is interested in you enough to actually call/text back later or if they were just entertaining you.
Long story short... I met a guy after work. The way he approached me was very random and I found him quite funny. I decided to stop and talk to him for a little while. He didn't beat around the bush and asked me if I was single, I said I was and he proceeded to ask me more questions. We spoke about the basics the areas we live in , where we work etc. We're both the same age and he made a joke about us having a connection since our names begin with the same letter.

Near the end of the conversation he offered me his number. This has never happened to me before. I've only ever asked for a guys number after he's asked for mine. I asked why he didn't want to take mine and he said ' do you want me to take yours?' his tone of voice changed here. I'm not sure what I make of his response. He didn't attempt to take his phone out though.

Anyway I said it was cool and I would take his number and I did. He said if I feel confident then I should give him a call, if not then I should send him a text. The fact he is questioning my confidence makes me want to call him to prove a point though lol.

So guys why would you offer your number instead of asking for theirs?

Why does it matter?

If he's given you his, then the balls in your court to contact him, which evidently shows you are interested. Have you called him?
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Meet people? getting to know them??

What are these things?

Lol I don't even know myself :biggrin:
i don't meet people , ways of a recluse :P

In all seriousness , i personally don't take numbers down for religious reasons , sucks to reject girls though.

Ahh I see. So you aren't ever allowed to take a girls number under any circumstances?

Quick Reply

Latest