The Student Room Group

Oxford History and Politics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Can we revive this thread?!?

Obviously the others couldn't, but whatever. How did your interview go?
Hey...
I'm a Brazilian guy that dreams about going to Oxford, and I've got a question about the courses...
My objective in life is to become a diplomat and so I'm really leaning towards majoring in International Relations. However, as such course is not available at undergraduate level in Oxford (and Oxford is my dream school), would the Politics course give me the same knowledge and notions that I'd get from IR in other top schools?
Reply 22
Hey, I just made this discussion because I couldn't find one already for History and Politics applicants to Oxford for 2015 entry.

If anyone's applying post in the discussion or message me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am also looking at this course.

I am taking History, Geography, Sociology and History of Art.

At GCSE I got A*AABBBBBBB

I don't think this is good enough to get into Oxbridge though :frown:

But it has always been my dream?

I am trying really hard with my AS Levels and am hopefully going towards 4 A's?

Thanks

I don't think this is good enough to get into Oxbridge though

Thanks
Original post by roseolivia1

I don't think this is good enough to get into Oxbridge though

Thanks

They are quite a way below the typical student's grades, but that doesn't mean you can't get a place. :smile: Grades are a fairly minor part of the process (they count for about 30%).
Im a Scottish student so I am talking SQA examinations and our grading system.

When I was doing Int2 (GCSE) history, I had an unbelievably terrible teacher and ended up with a B. It's the only B I've had in my entire school career and I'm now doing higher (A-level) and next year I'm doing Advanced Higher (don't have a clue what the english equivalent is). I expect I'll get A's in both along with 6 other A's at Higher (A-level) and 2 other AH. Will that B make a difference?

Sorry that is probably really confusing and long winded, I'm just really concerned about it.
If you don't get accepted for History and Politics but they liked your application, is it true that they'll offer you a place for single honours History?
Does anyone have any recommendations for books to read to prepare myself for my personal statement and interview?
also applied to this course at brasenose
GCSEs: 7A*s 3As 3Bs
AS: AAAA in History, Government and Politics, Classics and Eng lit
Predicted: A* History, A* G&P, A Classics
i'm hoping that my PS (if not the HAT but oh my god the HAT) will get me at least an interview. I did more politics extra curriculars than history so sort of worried about that.
I did mention The Impossible Peace by Anne Deighton, linking that with modern day politics so hopefully that should be ok. Going to finish that, the Jonathan Wolff book and Britain Since 1945 by Kenneth O. Morgan. Hopefully!! What college you applying to? Applied to Brasenose since it's reasonably low on Norrington Table and all the arts/music festivals link to my extra curriculars
Just started the Swift one....really helpful and interesting.
Original post by MouseyBrown
Just started the Swift one....really helpful and interesting.

I thought the Jonathan Wolff one was really interesting, at least in bringing up topics to think about and maybe share in an interview, not necessarily to learn from. Chapter three "Who Should Rule?" is one i'm focusing on.
Hi all! I'm an American applicant that recently interviewed to read History and Politics at Merton. Is the interview the most major part of the application for shortlisted candidates? I ask because for universities in the US, interviews are done by alumni and carry very little wait in the admissions decision.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cluelessOhioan
Hi all! I'm an American applicant that recently interviewed to read History and Politics at Merton. Is the interview the most major part of the application for shortlisted candidates? I ask because for universities in the US, interviews are done by alumni and carry very little wait in the admissions decision.

everything is considered in your application, not just the interview. How do you think the interviews went?
Original post by magic_is_might
everything is considered in your application, not just the interview. How do you think the interviews went?

Alright - since I had to interview over Skype, there was only one long interview with four tutors (a little intimidating). I originally applied to Wadham, but I was transferred to Merton. How did yours go?
Original post by cluelessOhioan
Alright - since I had to interview over Skype, there was only one long interview with four tutors (a little intimidating). I originally applied to Wadham, but I was transferred to Merton. How did yours go?

I got reallocated too, from Brasenose to Teddy Hall, which actually i'm kind of glad about. I had two interviews for the separate subjects, and both sets of tutors were really nice. the interviews didn't go badly, but now i'm thinking they weren't anything too special. but oh well
Original post by magic_is_might
I got reallocated too, from Brasenose to Teddy Hall, which actually i'm kind of glad about. I had two interviews for the separate subjects, and both sets of tutors were really nice. the interviews didn't go badly, but now i'm thinking they weren't anything too special. but oh well

To be honest I feel like leaving an intense academic interview without feeling bad about it means it must have been a success. As someone who plays an instrument and acts, I think that these interviews are honestly more like auditions than conversations.
Im so scared, ive got the HAT in like 2 weeks and i doubt il be invited to interview lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending