The Student Room Group

Why are there so many gold diggers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bupdeeboowah
My classmate joined a PE firm which pays 65k annually at entry level.

Not saying he's right - he's not. Lots of people from Oxford / Cambridge have starting salaries above 60k HOWEVER to join a PE firm straight out of university with no financial experience means you've got there through connections.
Why are people still taking this troll seriously? lmao :rofl:
Its a person's simple theory of life that if a girl looking for a person to marry about money so it means yes she is a gold digger. But if she fall in love with that person and she don't want money that means its not her motive

hair transplant in delhi | Hair Transplant in Chandigarh
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Awesome Genius
I doubt it. I work with computer programmers on a daily basis. I know what kind of money they make. And if you got a 2:2 from a no-name university you won't even be earning that.

This is the dumbest logic ever.

Bill Gates dropped out of college. He went on to be the richest man ever while being extremely successful.

There's plenty of other people who don't have degrees from Oxford, Cambridge et al.... or who have never been to university/college and have been very successful.
Original post by developer4ever
This is the dumbest logic ever.

Bill Gates dropped out of college. He went on to be the richest man ever while being extremely successful.

There's plenty of other people who don't have degrees from Oxford, Cambridge et al.... or who have never been to university/college and have been very successful.

This guy "AwesomeGenius" completely retarded IMO. Many of the most insanely rich people in the world today have been programmers.

The fact is, why would a mark zuckerberg work for someone else and be "told what to do" by someone like "AwesomeGenius" when they could go at it alone and become a multi billionare.

The people who hire coders and "tell them what to do" most likely don't get the true genius out of their employees because why would any programmer in their right mind create a facebook for their boss when they could just as easily go at it alone and be successful?

Most programmers are self employed or contract workers anyway, I'm planning on that eventually and ultimately starting a software business.

If you're an employer and you want a programmer, you can hire a crap one for a few bucks, but if you want the true talent you need the $$$, this is just common sense seen as the market isn't exactly over flowing with programmers, they're rare, highly skilled and they cost $$$.

The average salary for a programmer is around 55k - 60k. There are some developers on this forum who earn that kind of money and they're in their 20's.

I've just defeated your argument, oxford grads do not earn anything near 60k on average...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/11299177/Oxbridge-degrees-add-7600-to-graduate-starting-salaries.html

"Research shows the average student leaving Oxford and Cambridge will earn £25,600 after six months compared with £18,000 for those graduating from former polytechnics."

I earn more than the average oxford grad according to this statistic, at my first job, maybe some people from oxford do earn more than the stats say but it's often going to be because of family connections. Certainly not in any massive number because then the average would lean closer to 60k, but it doesn't. It doesn't matter what uni anyone went too. why would a company pay 60k to someone fresh out of uni with no experience? it's just insanity. 36k would be a very respectable and high salary for a starter, but beyond that it doesn't make sense to pay a grad more. Employers don't jizz when they see a CV with oxford, it's impressive because it's hard to get into and it may give you a stronger chance, but it isn't a ticket to being rich unfortunately my friend, you'll have to earn that merit by your actions and your REAL worth and tangible achievements, something I think you know is lacking, poor you.

Suck it "AwesomeGenius"

Awesome genius my ass....
(edited 8 years ago)
Lmao Bill Gates got into Harvard though. He was clever. He wasn't an imbecile.

Thanks

I also had a 1 million dollar trust fund in cash. And epic support from my mother.
Most of them were more business minded than "epic programmers".
Man, I love having a flat in Central London - love watching the computer programmers take a train 2 hours back home.

Bite thee by the ear.

Buy me nice things? :wink:
Not saying he's right - he's not. Lots of people from Oxford / Cambridge have starting salaries above 60k HOWEVER to join a PE firm straight out of university with no financial experience means you've got there through connections.
Not to dispute your claim, but my classmate is an immigrant background with little connection to the UK, so I doubt he got in through connections.
Original post by TheMaster102
36k would be a very respectable and high salary for a starter, but beyond that it doesn't make sense to pay a grad more.
Actually, a lot of top law firms - the Magic and Silver circle firms and US firms - typically pay fresh graduates more than £40k p.a. for the first two years they are at these firms. These firms pay all that much just to train these fresh grads, because in reality the trainees don't have any experience or knowledge to carry out the work from clients. In fact, it apparently costs these firms at least £200k per trainee just to train them (not sure whether this includes trainee salaries though). So it is untrue that employers do not pay fresh grads more than £36k for work, since they evidently are willing to pay fresh grads much more than that to just train and get experience.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Actually, a lot of top law firms - the Magic and Silver circle firms and US firms - typically pay fresh graduates more than £40k p.a. for the first two years they are at these firms. These firms pay all that much just to train these fresh grads, because in reality the trainees don't have any experience or knowledge to carry out the work from clients. In fact, it apparently costs these firms at least £200k per trainee just to train them (not sure whether this includes trainee salaries though). So it is untrue that employers do not pay fresh grads more than £36k for work, since they evidently are willing to pay fresh grads much more than that to just train and get experience.

maybe in exceptional cases, but I think you'll struggle proving that this is the case for any kind of majority of student, no matter what uni they're from.

In fact for some great unis from russell group unis even getting a place at a top law firm is a struggle let alone a massive salary.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Most of them were more business minded than "epic programmers".

but business oriented + epic programmer = a zuckerberg or bill gates...

Can't reply to me because I''ve wiped the floor with you, coward.
My life goal when I was 13 was to be a housewife
lmao

:puke:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheMaster102
maybe in exceptional cases, but I think you'll struggle proving that this is the case for any kind of majority of student, no matter what uni they're from.

In fact for some great unis from russell group unis even getting a place at a top law firm is a struggle let alone a massive salary.
On the contrary, Oxbridge graduates, followed by RG graduates, dominate these top firms in terms of trainee intake: see http://www.chambersstudent.com/where-to-start/newsletter/what-universities-do-most-trainees-come-from

The only reason why students from Oxbridge and RG universities struggle to secure training contracts with these firms is because there are so many Oxbridge and RG university graduates (given that graduates with any degree may apply for the training contract) despite the shrinking number of available training contracts, and the quality of competition is so high amongst these students.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 117
Original post by enaayrah
My life goal was to be a housewife at 13 lmao

You make an awful housewife.
Original post by enaayrah
My life goal when I was 13 was to be a housewife
lmao

How are your cooking and sex skills?
Happy to take a CV.

Well if the worlds most successful business man in the history of the world can't get in who can?

You didn't pay much attention at Oxford Uni did you sir.

Quick Reply

Latest