The Student Room Group

why do people smoke cigarrettes?

Scroll to see replies

They try them as a curious teenager just to see what they're like and then unfortunately they get addicted very quickly, that is why.

Thanks for informing smokers that smoking is bad for health and makes people age, you should work for Sky Sports News with breaking news like that.
Original post by loveleest
Huh? pardon? :s
used to do as in...?

use your imagination as to what someone with a mental illness might do when feeling bad :|
But what's so hot about it? lool

Apparently a cigarette looks like a mans "you know" :rofl:
The want their teeth to be brighter than the sun ......
The same reason people do anything that is bad for them - I enjoy it.
Everything in moderation.
Unfortunately, as smoking is atrociously addictive, many smoke like chimneys.
Original post by RollerBall
The same reason people do anything that is bad for them - I enjoy it.

Would you say you value cigarettes to a greater extent than the massively increased risk of getting lung cancer?
I understand when people do something because its worth it. Like I drink ****e loads of diet coke even though there may be a tentative link to diabetes etc. But when the risk is known to be so high for something like smoking, surely more down to addiction than choice?
Original post by RiotGirll

if a guy's dick looks like a cigarette then he should probably see a doctor :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
if a guy's dick looks like a cigarette then he should probably see a doctor :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spit out my tea!! take my reps :toofunny:
Reply 29
Original post by Odd socks
use your imagination as to what someone with a mental illness might do when feeling bad :|

um ok..
i smoke occasionally when i drink. it enhances the effects of drink for a short time and makes you feel quite giddy :smile:
Original post by hellodave5
Would you say you value cigarettes to a greater extent than the massively increased risk of getting lung cancer?
I understand when people do something because its worth it. Like I drink ****e loads of diet coke even though there may be a tentative link to diabetes etc. But when the risk is known to be so high for something like smoking, surely more down to addiction than choice?

Perhaps when I'm 30. I don't smoke very often to satiate a craving.

The evidence isn't as simple as if you smoke your risk is increased - like everything it's dose dependent and risk increases with exposure. The link is actually relatively small in people who accrue only a few pack years at a younger age and then live the majority of their lives smoke free.

One must also remember this is an associaton, not a cause. Not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer and not everyone with lung cancer smokes. This is a rather arbritary point though because COPD is heavily associated with smoking and could have a stronger case made for causation. Once more, this is also heavily linked with duration of exposure and other things.

If I continue my rate of smoking and quit in my mid to late 20s as I work I'll only have earnt around 2-3 pack years (equivelant to 20/day for 365) then have a large period of non-expoosure. Of course, this is all well and good saying when I don't have a raging nictoine addiction and only time will tell if I'm still toking away when I'm 50.
I remember in school it was taboo to smoke pot. When I got to uni that taboo had been lifted so everyone did it. But because we were all so poor we would mix the pot with tobacco to make the weed go further and not have to fork out loads of money every week on pot. I'm not saying that it was a good thing, but i personally liked the tobacco in the joint as it burnt more evenly and made the joint taste nicer. At the end of first year I started to notice that I was maybe only smoking the joint for the tobacco. During the last weeks of uni last year I smoked about 10 cigs a day, but knowing i couldn't smoke at home I was lucky enough to quit. It's weird to say it now, but i did actually like the effects of tobacco, especially with a beer, and I do miss it.

Another thing to add, I'm not sure how old you are OP, but in clubs the only place you can usually hold a conversation is in the smokers area. That's where a few of my friends started smoking. It's just sort of what you do. You get offered a cigarette, hold a convo while you smoke it and then go back inside. I can see my younger self looking down on people like myself. Strange world.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
A lot of people say peer pressure but most people I know just do it to seem cool..
Reply 34
Smoking, Drinking, Tanning, Over eating ETC.

People do it because they enjoy doing it.
Reply 35
Original post by Wilfred Little
They try them as a curious teenager just to see what they're like and then unfortunately they get addicted very quickly, that is why.

Thanks for informing smokers that smoking is bad for health and makes people age, you should work for Sky Sports News with breaking news like that.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 36
I took a single drag on a friend's cigarette whist on a night out - just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It is a rather horrid sensation (like the inside of your lungs feel 'itchy' or something) and makes your mouth taste awful after only one drag. But then again at the same time there is the same "good" feeling afterwards like when you drink coffee or something, so I can see how someone could get into doing it, but it just isn't enjoyable to me + the health risks associated with it are just too much for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't know really.

But I do love me the odd pipe now and then..
Reply 38
Original post by RiotGirll

I wouldn't be happy with the guy I was with had a dick that looked like a cigarette.
I wouldn't be happy with the guy I was with had a dick that looked like a cigarette.

TBH all the guys I know who like them are pretty small hipster boys :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending