The Student Room Group

Best CompSci Uni for My Grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Okay thanks.
Reply 41
Original post by Krimzar
I will agree that Computer Science does have a problem solving element, however most Computer Science degrees are based around and over the concepts taught at Maths A Level. Computer Science is not just writing code and solving a problem.

For example, collision detection in programming is based on the coordinate geometry concept on whether a point is above or below a line, or encompassed by it. Many other practical elements stem directly from maths, such as to create 3D models you will need an understanding of revolution volumes taught in calculus. This is why Maths is so important for Computer Science, and hence why so many universities require a Maths A Level, and/or a minimum of B in GCSE Maths.

If the problem solving is really what you want to do, then a degree in IT or foundation in Computer Science are the best options. I would not recommend applying for Computer Science directly without a backing in Mathematics A Level or equivalent.

I'm a second year at a top 20 uni studying Computer Science

I didnt take A level Maths and I was fine with both my first year maths modules, also had to do collision detection (as you mentioned) in my games programming module, its not hard stuff to learn really

I went into my degree with a B in maths GCSE and a Computing based BTEC which included a few programming modules

You really dont need Maths A level to succeed and its not 'so many' - its actually the minority that actually require Maths at A level, there isnt even that much overlapping content, I did a lot better than some of my friends who took Maths (+ 2 other subjects) for their A levels

If the OP is determined enough there is no reason they couldn't do well in CompSci, although with CCC and without Maths, Physics or Computing at A level it may be difficult to get in to a prestigious uni, maybe a Foundation year at a good uni would be a decent option, I believe Southampton and Durham offer Foundation years for CompSci - both excellent unis too @Ross M
Reply 42
Original post by Krimzar
My apologies, however your post is incorrect. Two universities who sit outside the top 30, York and Strathclythe, require maths A Level. Most universities do.

I don't know if you understand the word 'most' or haven't looked at many Unis, a lot of the top Uni's require maths, however some of the top unis and Russel Groups don't even require maths, for example, Kings, Nottingham, Newcastle, Cardiff, I haven't looked at all the Unis but I'm certain there will be more. Outside the Russel Group i'd say at least 90% of Unis don't ask for Maths A Level
Original post by JW22
I don't know if you understand the word 'most' or haven't looked at many Unis, a lot of the top Uni's require maths, however some of the top unis and Russel Groups don't even require maths, for example, Kings, Nottingham, Newcastle, Cardiff, I haven't looked at all the Unis but I'm certain there will be more. Outside the Russel Group i'd say at least 90% of Unis don't ask for Maths A Level

York does want A-Level Math for CS and that too a very good grade. For my country,they want at least 85 in maths which would an A atleast. Stratchlyde wants 75 which would be a B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by yt7777
I'm a second year at a top 20 uni studying Computer Science

I didnt take A level Maths and I was fine with both my first year maths modules, also had to do collision detection (as you mentioned) in my games programming module, its not hard stuff to learn really

I went into my degree with a B in maths GCSE and a Computing based BTEC which included a few programming modules

You really dont need Maths A level to succeed and its not 'so many' - its actually the minority that actually require Maths at A level, there isnt even that much overlapping content, I did a lot better than some of my friends who took Maths (+ 2 other subjects) for their A levels

If the OP is determined enough there is no reason they couldn't do well in CompSci, although with CCC and without Maths, Physics or Computing at A level it may be difficult to get in to a prestigious uni, maybe a Foundation year at a good uni would be a decent option, I believe Southampton and Durham offer Foundation years for CompSci - both excellent unis too @Ross M

Thanks for the information, very helpful.

And thanks to everyone else :smile:
Original post by JW22

Lets put it this way to generalise, rougly the top 10-15 want maths and the other 100 Universities in the country don't. York is an exception, for example there will be Uni's above York that don't require it... I'm really not sure what the other guy dosen't understand, if they don't require it they expect their students to do well without it!
Hi, my son is in similar position although luckily he gained a high B at GCSE maths. He has done a lot of research into unis that don't require the A level, and although, yes, the most prestigious unis do require A2 or AS maths, the rest do not. Newcastle doesn't oddly. And many of the others only require C at GCSE.

Having spoken to tutors at open days they say the maths required is taught on the course. If you enjoy programming (which you do!) then the type of maths required for CS is prob the type of maths you are good at so don't be deterred - please!

My son is going to put a couple of foundation years on his UCAS form - Liverpool do their foundation year at Carmel College which is a great college and even Loughborough have a foundation year CCC requirements but only if you haven't studied the required subjects (in yor case maths) and not for those who didn't achieve the grades.

Hull and I think Sheff Hallam only require C GCSE maths.

Best of luck! You aren't after all applying to Cambridge so these things are still within your grasp.
Original post by wendyfreckles
Hi, my son is in similar position although luckily he gained a high B at GCSE maths. He has done a lot of research into unis that don't require the A level, and although, yes, the most prestigious unis do require A2 or AS maths, the rest do not. Newcastle doesn't oddly. And many of the others only require C at GCSE.

Having spoken to tutors at open days they say the maths required is taught on the course. If you enjoy programming (which you do!) then the type of maths required for CS is prob the type of maths you are good at so don't be deterred - please!

My son is going to put a couple of foundation years on his UCAS form - Liverpool do their foundation year at Carmel College which is a great college and even Loughborough have a foundation year CCC requirements but only if you haven't studied the required subjects (in yor case maths) and not for those who didn't achieve the grades.

Hull and I think Sheff Hallam only require C GCSE maths.

Best of luck! You aren't after all applying to Cambridge so these things are still within your grasp.

Your son could try a foundation with nottingham but they require 5 B's at GCSE and students who have taken the wrong subject for the course

Or else INTO,Study Group and Kaplan have really good universities for foundation course.

Warwick also has a good IFP
Original post by jontyfernz
Your son could try a foundation with nottingham but they require 5 B's at GCSE and students who have taken the wrong subject for the course

Or else INTO,Study Group and Kaplan have really good universities for foundation course.

Warwick also has a good IFP

Most of those are only for international students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Most of those are only for international students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup but nottingham,loughborough and Durham have foundation courses suited for uk students who have taken the wrong subjects for the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK thanks v much - I appreciate your info as it's a minefield out there! Yes he does indeed have 5 Bs and has taken the wrong subjects and only just discovered his love of programming and that he has an aptitude for it having just started a Subsid Dip BTEC in Computing.

Warwick! He thought that was out of his reach! He'll be definitely looking into that one. Although they probably won't accept a BTEC alongside 2 A2s.

Sorry to be ignorant but any chance you can tell me what INTO and Kaplan are?!
Again, thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wendyfreckles
OK thanks v much - I appreciate your info as it's a minefield out there! Yes he does indeed have 5 Bs and has taken the wrong subjects and only just discovered his love of programming and that he has an aptitude for it having just started a Subsid Dip BTEC in Computing.

Warwick! He thought that was out of his reach! He'll be definitely looking into that one.

Sorry to be ignorant but any chance you can tell me what INTO and Kaplan are?!
Again, thank you!

Warwick IFP, Kaplan and INTO are all for international students only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Warwick IFP, Kaplan and INTO are all for international students only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Much obliged to you.

Quick Reply

Latest